Author Topic: Rookie Poster  (Read 8614 times)

gonzobreath

• View Profile
Rookie Poster
« on: March 19, 2012, 01:35:46 AM »
Hi all.  

I’m new to the group.  I’ve spent the last few days lurking, and reading as many old posts as I can so I can write my first post without sounding too much like the Camaro rookie I am.

First, I have always been a Chevy guy, but have recently migrated from Corvettes to Camaros.  I hope to purchase my first Camaro in the next three months.  My last Vette was a 64 Coupe.

I’m planning to buy a 1969 Z28.  I have many questions, and expect answers to those questions will generate more questions.  I’ve sent my check to Jerry to buy his definitive 1969 Z28 book, and so will try to stay away from the basic questions until I have time to read that cover to cover.

The questions I have now center around living in California, and the California smog laws.  I know the only guaranteed smog check for a 1969 Camaro will happen at time of purchase (cars between 1966 and 1975 are exempt from bi-annual inspections), but it is POSSIBLE to be stopped and inspected at anytime (odds are higher if the car is loud, or you’re doing something stupid).  But, what does a smog test on a 1969 Z28 look like?  Do they simply check to see that the smog pump is functioning?  Or, do they check things like carbs, cams, and carbon?  The reason I ask is that I want to buy/build a Crossram Z28.  Would I be able to smog a Z28 with a 2x4 Crossram setup?  What about chambered exaust?  Off-road cam?

My fear is that if I find the perfect Z28, it won’t pass smog, and that I might need to build what I want once I get a stock Z28 through the smog process.

Additionally, is there a FAQ for buying a 1969 Z28?  I plan to employ the infamous Jerry M. to help me, but would love to hear from others who’ve gone down this path.

Thanks,
Mike.

1968RSZ28

• View Profile
Re: Rookie Poster
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2012, 02:56:40 AM »
Currently, smog inspections are required in California for all vehicles except diesel powered vehicles manufactured prior to 1998 or with a Gross Vehicle Weight (GVWR) of more than 14,000 lbs, electric, natural gas powered vehicles over 14,000 lbs, hybrids, motorcycles, trailers, or gasoline powered vehicles 1975 and older.  Therefore, no smog inspection is required for a 1969 Z/28.

Paul

68camaroz28

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2012, 10:39:55 AM »
Welcome aboard Mike and happy hunting over the next three months searching for that 69Z!
Keep educating yourself as much as possible as there are so many made up or cars with major issues. Not meant to scare ya as there are many great examples but one has to be buyer beware.
The other thing you may want to check is the cross-ram for the street. Its done but that is not a real street friendly set up and can be aggravating for crusing. Just saw a cross-ram that is set-up nicely for the street but they changed the cam and some other small changes to achieve respectable driving ability. Just my little .02!
Happy Hunting and welcome again,
Chick
68 Z/28 NOR 01B Orig motor/trans/rear
69 Z/28 NOR 07A Orig Block & GM Cross-ram/carbs
69 L34 Rest. Nova Father/Son Car
69 L78 Surv Nova Purch 4/69 31K miles
67 L89 Corv Tribute
68 Corv 427/400 Orig motor
07 Corv Z06
R 68Z build- http://www.camaros.net/forums/showthread.php?t=182584

HOT3O2

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2012, 03:32:39 PM »
Hey Mike, Welcome to Camaro 101. Get ready for some schooling because the guys on this site know there stuff and are great with sharing it. Good luck in your search. By the way, what part of Cal you from?

Rick
Rick
69 RS/Z28

gonzobreath

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2012, 05:27:32 PM »
Thanks all. 

Great news on the smog laws.  I re-read the CA DMV site.  I appear to have mis-interpreted the language.  Thanks Paul for the clarification.

I should state my intentions for the car – to drive it.  I love high horse-power small-blocks.  How ‘un-drivable’ is a Crossram car?  Are there any within 200 miles of the SF Bay area I can drop in and see?

In general, I’d love to offer up free weekend lunches to folks who wouldn’t mind walking me through their 69Zs, and taking me for a drive.  Like most on this list (I assume), I have a strong love for anything that runs on gas… including my ‘other’ toy which has a 550 cubic inch engine, 310hp, ~700 ft-lbs of torque, and a cruising speed over 200mph… at ~10k feet above the ground.  In other words, it’s relatively easy for me to come see some of you in person if you’re willing to show-off your car and help with my education.

Thanks,
Mike.

1968RSZ28

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2012, 06:34:29 PM »
I should state my intentions for the car – to drive it.  I love high horse-power small-blocks.  How ‘un-drivable’ is a Crossram car?  Are there any within 200 miles of the SF Bay area I can drop in and see?

Mike,

I don't know anything about this car (or the girl  :) ), but it meets your distance requirement and has a cross-ram...

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/ctd/2909851257.html

Paul

1968 Z28

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2012, 07:48:17 PM »
OOPS......someone must have not liked the girl....ad flagged ::)  Wouldn't think they would flag the ad because of the car.
Jerry G.

Z28-1968-07C-Norwood
Ermine White, Red Std. Interior
2nd. Owner, 38,000 miles

1968RSZ28

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2012, 08:15:07 PM »
OOPS......someone must have not liked the girl....ad flagged ::)  Wouldn't think they would flag the ad because of the car.

Link works for me...   ???

Paul

bertfam

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2012, 08:36:35 PM »
That's because it's been cached to your computer. Click on the link and press F5 and it'll go away.

HERE'S more info on that car by the way.

Ed

flyingskibiker

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2012, 10:30:03 PM »
I've seen the car in person.  It may have been me that flagged the ad.  They post about 10 copies.  ANNOYING!!!  I gave Ed some info on it.  It has an Offie cross ram on it and matching hood.

So, kind of decoding your email, you own a plane?  What is it?

flyingskibiker

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2012, 10:33:17 PM »
Oh, and there are a number of Camaro clubs in the area.  That could be a great way to check out cars and get to know the people.  Plus, depending where you live, Steve at Steve's Camaros is a great guy with lots of knowledge.  If you go in to buy parts and it's slow, he will talk your ears off! lol

gonzobreath

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2012, 11:21:17 PM »
Interesting car (and girl)... I'll try and stop by this weekend to check it out and swing a test-drive (the car... not the girl).  My guess is the car is more of a Frankenstein Z28, which may, or may not make it representative of other CrossRam Z28s.

I'm in Menlo Park which means I can also check out Steve's Camaros.  Should be a fun weekend.

I own a 2003 FADEC Cirrus SR22.  ~175kts @ 14k; 10gph.

Mike.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2012, 12:32:47 AM by gonzobreath »

1968 Z28

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2012, 11:32:11 PM »
It may have been me that flagged the ad.  They post about 10 copies.  ANNOYING!!!

Supposedly it takes more than one complaint for them to flag an ad for removal, or that's what they say.  Don't know for sure that's true but I have flagged ads in the past (by mistake) and they would not be removed......so it could be true.
Jerry G.

Z28-1968-07C-Norwood
Ermine White, Red Std. Interior
2nd. Owner, 38,000 miles

KurtS

• CRG Coordinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2012, 07:15:28 AM »
I love high horse-power small-blocks.  How ‘un-drivable’ is a Crossram car?
How to look fancy and make a street car slower....
There's a reason you don't see other cars / makes running crossrams - street or strip.
Kurt S
CRG

BULLITT65

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2012, 09:04:24 AM »
Welcome to the forum. I just moved back to the bay area as well (san mateo). My car has not made the move yet, so I can't take you up on your offer. Regarding the cross-ram Z/28, I have collected a number of vintage magazines where they track tested the Cross- ram 69 Z. While they give the car itself rave reviews it actually ran slower than the single carb set up, and in their words it was sluggish off the line, and the only scenario they could see the dual carb set up coming in handy would be on the freeway at high rpms if you needed to pass someone. Other than that they say the single carb set up is way more street-able, and more responsive ( CarLife August 69). Jerry's book is a good starting point, but realize anybody that is going to clone a Z/28 is reading his book as well, to make their cars look like the real deal. Jerrys book is not the bible, there are inaccuracies just as there is with Hoopers 69 Camaro book, but both have some good reference material. While you are researching try to figure out what ultimately want to do with the car, drive it? 100 pt restoration and show it? Race it? How correct does it need to be? Do you want a finished car or a car that may be a good restoration candidate. PM me if you want more info or are looking at a car in the bay area, and want a second opinion.
Good luck!
1969 garnet red Z/28 46k mile unrestored X77
-Looking for 3192477 (front) spiral shocks 3192851 (rear)
-Looking for an original LOF soft ray windshield
-Looking for original Delco side post negative battery cable part # 6297651AV

anything