Author Topic: Z28 on eBay, White Nice.. Real??  (Read 7289 times)

dannystarr

• View Profile
Z28 on eBay, White Nice.. Real??
« on: April 11, 2012, 03:29:13 PM »
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Chevrolet-Camaro-Z28-CORRECT-S-MATCHING-Z28-DZ-CODE-302-CI-FULLY-DOCUMENTED-PS-PB-CORRECT-COL-/280861818906?pt=US_Cars_Trucks&hash=item4164ab401a

I wonder about this one. It is super clean. They did a nice job. But the trim tag looks wrong to me. Any data base info on this VIN?... Danny

mickeystoys69RSSS

• View Profile
Re: Z28 on eBay, White Nice.. Real??
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2012, 04:52:28 PM »
Price seems high for a non dual carb cross ram JL8 car. It does look nice and clean. I am no expert on the cowl tag, but the ad does say it is a numbers matching car. You need to inspect or photograpgh the engine stamp pad, trans bellhousing, and body under the passengers side cowl to verify that the hidden VIN are real #'s matching car and not a restamp.

william

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2012, 05:44:30 PM »
Repro tag. Dash top has been replaced, probably rusty. Several missing or incorrect parts.

Average sale price for the 4 Z/28-RS at Barrett-Jackson last week was $41,388. Why this car is worth 80% more I don't know.
Learning more and more about less and less...

KurtS

• CRG Coordinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2012, 07:11:47 PM »
No, nothing on 124379N577378.
Agreed, repro tag.
Kurt S
CRG

canadair

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2012, 07:43:47 PM »
Kurt what stands out on the cowl tag that says repop ,the only thing I see as compared to my own is that the numerals are much bolder .

jl8dale

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2012, 07:54:43 PM »
Price seems high for a non dual carb cross ram JL8 car. It does look nice and clean. I am no expert on the cowl tag, but the ad does say it is a numbers matching car. You need to inspect or photograpgh the engine stamp pad, trans bellhousing, and body under the passengers side cowl to verify that the hidden VIN are real #'s matching car and not a restamp.

Where does it state that this is a JL8 car?
Reproduction tag for sure.
1969 Z/28 Daytona Yellow/Yellow Houndstooth, Tilt, Fold Down Seat, - POP

Mike S

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2012, 10:15:03 PM »
 I'm no expert on what is fake or real on a tag but I can compare a real Z tag to this and I see the hook on the 6 looks odd as well as the curve of the 3's.
 Just an observation.

Mike

67 04B LOS SS/RS L35 Hardtop - Original w/UOIT
67 05B NOR SS/RS L35 Convertible - Restored

Mark

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2012, 11:51:36 PM »
We do not discuss fight club, if you get the reference.
Mark C.
1969 Indy Pace Car
350/300HP RPO Z11

mickeystoys69RSSS

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2012, 12:42:50 AM »

Where does it state that this is a JL8 car?
Reproduction tag for sure.

Non crosss ram and non JL8 is what I meant. Like I said they have that car priced too high for a regular Z ridiculous overpriced if it is a fake.

Mike S

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2012, 01:24:10 AM »
We do not discuss fight club, if you get the reference.

Not sure if this was directed at my comments or the gentleman asking the question about a fake tag.
   This is a double edge sword and I know this group is tight lip about this because it can give the fakers more insight on what to do to correct a repo. But, IMO, it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out just get a real tag and duplicate it in every detail. It can be done just like anything else if you have the $$$ to buy the equipment to perform the work.
   On the flip side, educating people what to spot can likely save them money from making a wrong mistake and also expose fraud. This topic on what to look for in a fake trim tag has been discussed ad-nausea in practically every car group on the web.
  Like money, paintings and other areas that bring high dollars, fakes will exist. Only through education can one educate potential buyers by exposing the flaws and maybe  either cause a counterfeiter to go broke by not being able to afford the $$$$ to have the equipment necessary and bail out or they will go the distance and duplicate an exact clone that is undetectable, which is likely these days.
   In this case the gentleman was asking a question. I feel the question should be answered in a PM at the very least and an FYI sent to the group that it was answered in a PM otherwise people will think CRG is just being rude.  Even then you don't know if the person asked in earnest or a counterfeiter masquerading as a would be buyer. Either way the car culture is face with either stay tight lip and let potential buyers make mistakes and also keep the fakers in business preying on them or educate to expose the flaws and the fakers making them. What prevents a true counterfeit copy these days with high precision manufacturing equipment available is $$$$$. So in this case education and knowledge has the advantage.

Sorry about the rant but this is an area that bugs me.
  Just my 2 cents.

Mike
67 04B LOS SS/RS L35 Hardtop - Original w/UOIT
67 05B NOR SS/RS L35 Convertible - Restored

Mark

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2012, 04:28:00 PM »
Nope that was in reply to canadairs post 2 above your previous post. 

I can pick out most fakes just by looking at them, some take a little more digging to see the errors.  I've done it by looking a literally thousands of tags and noting the small running changes maded during the years.  As long as the fakers want to just keep charging people 250 bucks for an easy to spot tag they are more thanwelcome to do that, however there is someone out there making VERY good fakes, and I'm sure he figured out most if not all of the little problems with other repro tags.  If I hadn't had a picture of one of his fakes original tag I would not have spotted it.  If I sit here and type out each and every thing that is wrong with this tag, or any other fake and the stampers change up their product, it just means there will be more fakes slipping thru the system.  Anyone is welcome to post up a questionable (or not questionable) tag here or Camaros.net or wherever they want and you will get an answer as to whether or not its real.  On any given day probably between 5 and 10% of the Camaros on Ebay are sporting fake tags, its really unbeleivable as to how many are out there once you start keeping track.  So, no you will get no help with being educated on a public forum where anyone can read whats posted as to what makes a tag a fake.  I think thats generally what you will experience on any of the other Camaro sites around the net, and if not then someone is doing the "hobby" a disservice.
Mark C.
1969 Indy Pace Car
350/300HP RPO Z11

anything