Author Topic: Distributor Weights and Springs  (Read 6680 times)

tmodel66

• View Profile
Distributor Weights and Springs
« on: March 08, 2012, 05:26:16 PM »
'69 L48 4 speed. I bought a used distributor and I think somebody has tinkered with the weights and springs. Where can I buy a new set of weights and springs to put it back to stock performance?
Daniel  
'69 SS 350/4 speed  Fathom Green--POP

L78 steve

• View Profile
Re: Distributor Weights and Springs
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2012, 06:47:42 PM »
I wouldn't just change parts. Send it to a Dist. guy and see where its at.
69 Z/28 Dover White. SOLD
67 SS/RS Mt. Green 1W,2LGSR,3SL,4K,5BY,07C. SOLD
70 Nova L78 Blk. Cherry,Sandalwood,M21,02B

Mike S

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2012, 10:17:35 PM »
I have seen the springs modified and you can get stock aftermarket replacement springs with the correct rate.
What happened to the weights?

Mike
67 04B LOS SS/RS L35 Hardtop - Original w/UOIT
67 05B NOR SS/RS L35 Convertible - Restored

rally

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2012, 10:26:30 PM »
Send your distributor to Jerry MacNeish. He can fix all your issues, great workmanship.

tmodel66

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2012, 12:59:23 AM »
I have seen the springs modified and you can get stock aftermarket replacement springs with the correct rate.

Mike

One spring broke and I got to looking and the weights have been ground on.  I was hoping to get a set of Delco weights and springs but I can't find any at the parts house.
Daniel  

Marty

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2012, 04:04:19 AM »
Used distributors at swap meets are $5-10. Maybe cheaper to do that for parts. Martin
Martin Foltz
CRG Member
68 Van Nuys Camaro

tmodel66

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2012, 04:18:12 AM »
Thanks Marty !  Hadn't thought about that. I think I know where one is at right now.
Daniel  

JohnZ

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2012, 03:44:34 PM »

Mike

One spring broke and I got to looking and the weights have been ground on.  I was hoping to get a set of Delco weights and springs but I can't find any at the parts house.

Weights and springs haven't been available from GM for over 20 years; most guys who have Sun machines and rebuild distributors (like Jerry M.) have a stash of them. The weights in aftermarket "kits" aren't hardened, and they usually only have three generic types of springs. As Marty noted, used distributors are the best source of GM weights and springs.
'69 Z/28
Fathom Green
CRG

Mike S

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2012, 04:20:15 PM »

Mike

One spring broke and I got to looking and the weights have been ground on.  I was hoping to get a set of Delco weights and springs but I can't find any at the parts house.

Weights and springs haven't been available from GM for over 20 years; most guys who have Sun machines and rebuild distributors (like Jerry M.) have a stash of them. The weights in aftermarket "kits" aren't hardened, and they usually only have three generic types of springs. As Marty noted, used distributors are the best source of GM weights and springs.

I wasn't implying that they can be had from GM. But with today's gas quality, low octane and the absence of lead, the stock spring rates are a moot point for driving so using a modified rate to change the curve profile will likely change the springs anyhow unless the intent is to have museum piece.

Mike
67 04B LOS SS/RS L35 Hardtop - Original w/UOIT
67 05B NOR SS/RS L35 Convertible - Restored

KurtS

• CRG Coordinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2012, 07:38:29 PM »
Agree, you don't want the stock springs in there. Way too slow of an advance curve.
Kurt S
CRG

tmodel66

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2012, 04:59:42 PM »
Agree, you don't want the stock springs in there. Way too slow of an advance curve.
I was just needing something to put in it to get started. Then I'll map my advance and set it up to my engine. I know I'll have to change the springs because I'm running a small cam.
Daniel  

1971ls6

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2012, 01:23:42 AM »
Go out and buy the mr gasket 927 spring kit and use one gold and one silver spring, this should give you all of your advance in by 2500-2800. The weights in the kits are not good, look for a set of original ones. I tried them in all combinations on my distributor machine, and the silver and gold combo comes out as the best most of te time
69 Copo 12.28 @ 117.50 4spd on polyglas
71 LS6 vette 12.31@118 mph PSMCDR

tmodel66

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2012, 01:48:24 AM »
Thanks !! I got a set of weights today. I'll get on this first thing Monday.
Daniel