Author Topic: fuel tank paint  (Read 4049 times)

joesauer

• View Profile
fuel tank paint
« on: March 05, 2012, 05:19:54 AM »
My fuel tank is currently black.  Would like to paint it to look factory original.  Any suggestions on what paint gives the best match?  How about for the straps?

flyingskibiker

• View Profile
Re: fuel tank paint
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2012, 06:01:39 AM »
The tank was unpainted.  The straps were semi-gloss black.

joesauer

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2012, 08:53:57 PM »
Thanks.  Yes, know the tank originally was not painted....trying to simulate that look without stripping/sanding it down to bare metal.   Saw an Eastwood product called Tank Tone Metalic Coating.  Has anyone tried it, or found another product that comes close to the original factory metal look?

Mike S

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2012, 11:25:54 PM »
LOS tanks were painted black. At least in '67.
My 67 LOS 4B was painted after strapped in at the factory. My NOR 5B built 67 was unpainted.

Mike
67 04B LOS SS/RS L35 Hardtop - Original w/UOIT
67 05B NOR SS/RS L35 Convertible - Restored

Sauron327

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2012, 12:00:44 AM »
My 67 LOS 4B was painted after strapped in at the factory. My NOR 5B built 67 was unpainted.

Mike
Mine 67 LOS was not painted. Sure yours was not undercoated or painted before you got it? Tanks were not painted at the factory.

Sauron327

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2012, 12:05:48 AM »
Thanks.  Yes, know the tank originally was not painted....trying to simulate that look without stripping/sanding it down to bare metal.   Saw an Eastwood product called Tank Tone Metalic Coating.  Has anyone tried it, or found another product that comes close to the original factory metal look?

Probably nothing more than a fine metallic silver paint with zinc thrown in for corrosion protection. Similar product as galvy fence post paint used as a post welding paint. Nice price they get for it too. Duplicating a virgin tank finish with paint will only provide a tolerable result.

Mike S

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2012, 12:27:17 AM »

Mike
Mine 67 LOS was not painted. Sure yours was not undercoated or painted before you got it? Tanks were not painted at the factory.

You may want to read this thread. It answered my question about my unrestored 67LOS with a black tank as well as others seeing or having it too.
Even Kurt has seen black tanks.

http://www.camaros.org/forum/index.php?topic=5577.0

Mike
67 04B LOS SS/RS L35 Hardtop - Original w/UOIT
67 05B NOR SS/RS L35 Convertible - Restored

Sauron327

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2012, 12:43:23 AM »
Interesting.  Well if every one was painted in 67 mine was replaced. And I replaced that one too. No reason to be concerned about the unpainted finish on it then. I'll paint it if it deteriorates.