Author Topic: Roy Woods Racing, California Trans-Am racers  (Read 44163 times)

klvn8r

• View Profile
Re: Roy Woods Racing, California Trans-Am racers
« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2012, 01:37:53 AM »
Any chance I could get some dimensions on those uprights????

klvn8r

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2012, 03:49:01 PM »
I have not heard from Ken regarding measurements and I suspect he would not have that information now. I'll see if I can remember to take a photo when I'm at the Sonoma Historics in June.

Here's the Roy Woods' Camaro at the ARRC event at Daytona in November '69. Roy placed 5th and the race
for the SCCA National A/Sedan Championship was won by Bill Petree (in another '69 Camaro) from Michigan.
Jon Mello
CRG

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 01, 2012, 10:28:49 PM »

Jon Mello Collection
Jon Mello
CRG

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 04, 2012, 06:22:43 PM »
Peter Revson climbs into his Roy Woods Javelin prior to the '71 Michigan Trans-Am. These Roy Woods Javelins
were reskinned 1970 Javelins raced by Penske during the 1970 season. I didn't know you could simply do a
reskin job on these cars as they look very different to me than the '70 version, but that's what I heard was done.

Robert Barg photo
Jon Mello
CRG

crazyamc

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 08, 2012, 06:08:31 PM »
I remember an article in the Speed and Sport paper, an interview with Woods about updating the cars-- It's quite involved.. ???   From the rear doorjamb forward is bolt-on; doors and windshield are the same for all Javelins, as is back glass, rear valance and trunk lid...   71 and up cars are "taller" in the taillight panel, moving the spoiler and decklid up... so, different quarters, tail, roof and all the internal sheet metal that goes with those items......  then throw in the 1 inch shorter weelbase of a 70 car, and you have a bunch of new AMC sheetmetal which " ...doesn't quite fit... >:(       Ken

crazyamc

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 08, 2012, 06:10:00 PM »
OH YEAH!!  Somebody PLEASE show a picture of that TRACO intake topless.....   ;)

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 09, 2012, 05:45:33 AM »
Wow, I would have never thought about the doors, trunk lid, and those other items being common between the two body styles. Thanks a lot for pointing that out. Anyone out there have that issue of National Speed Sport News???
Jon Mello
CRG

klvn8r

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 09, 2012, 04:46:00 PM »
The rear bumper is also the same from 68-74.   Kudos to AMC for keeping things 'budget'.  I too would love to see how RWR got those 71 quarters on the 1" shorter 70 chassis.  I think it forced them to make the quarter window smaller, lengthwise.  That's the only place that it appears, to me, the car is different from the 71 Penske-built car.

klvn8r

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 10, 2012, 06:32:47 AM »
More great info. Thank you!

Here's an ad from January '71 when Roy Woods was making the switch over to the Javelins.
You can see that they had previously used both Bob Joehnck and Al Bartz Chevy engines.
Jon Mello
CRG

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 16, 2012, 05:48:38 AM »
October 24, 1970 ad in Competition Press & Autoweek. Roy Woods puts both '69 Camaros up for sale right after the Riverside Trans-Am.
Jon Mello
CRG

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 19, 2012, 08:34:50 PM »
Competition Press & Autoweek race report covering the ARRC event at Raod Atlanta. This ARRC event is
run for the national championship in each car category. Roy Woods won the A-sedan national championship
in this late November '70 race. Roy was using Camaros in Trans-Am for the entire 1970 season and had
bought the two Penske Javelins after the end of the Trans-Am season. Note that the article indicatates
that they had already pulled the car apart to begin converting it into a '71 but then had to put it back
to a '70 bodystyle to make this race. Many thanks to Mike K (Swede70) for sharing this with us.

Jon Mello
CRG

javelin_gt

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 19, 2012, 11:00:09 PM »
RWR Press Kit

javelin_gt

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 19, 2012, 11:00:41 PM »
From Press Kit

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 17, 2014, 04:15:56 PM »
Mark Ellis use to be a crew member for Roy Woods' race team back in the early '70s and he was kind enough to scan these photos from his personal collection for all of us to enjoy. The captions come directly from him. Many thanks for sharing these with us, Mark. I'm sure you have some great memories from working for the RWR team.

Frank Martinez, Suzan Ellis and Jeff Woo sitting on the back of the RWR Trick Truck mid-week at Donnybrooke.

Follmer, with his back to us, talking with Roy and Jerry Schwarz before the 1972 Lime Rock Trans Am.

Judy Stropus, she knew the relative positions of the entire field for the entire race.

Roy's car under the canopy attached to the Trick Truck.  That's Ken Ulrich just in front of Roy's girlfriend.

Attendee inspection.

Cars on Beefheart shortly after arriving at Great Barrington, MA (near Lime Rock)

Roy at practice before the 1972 Lime Rock Trans Am.

Mark Ellis and Ken Ulrich talking with Roy.

Mark Ellis changing George's blue air dam tabs during routine (waxing) service at Donnybrooke.

Jeff Woo with Follmer's car during routine (waxing) service at Donnybrooke.

Ken Ulrich checking something (throttle linkage?) while Jerry Schwarz (crew chief) and Mark Ellis supervise the procedure.

Ken Ulrich, Mark Ellis and Jerry Schwarz with Trick Truck and Beefheart in the motel parking lot at Great Barrington (near Lime Rock).

Jeff Woo checking tire pressure on George's car.  Roy's red air dam tabs need attention, also.
Jon Mello
CRG

satman

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 19, 2014, 02:13:45 AM »
Great stuff Jon,
 RWR was quite an operation I wonder what their source of funding was?? Somebody must have had some pretty deep pockets........... I especially liked their double deck transporter, that was one cool unit.

AL

anything