Author Topic: single point distributor cap  (Read 4095 times)

wisemanz28

• View Profile
single point distributor cap
« on: February 22, 2012, 03:20:02 AM »
Where does the No. 1 wire attach to on a single point distributor cap? Is it to the left or right of the points access door?

Mike S

• View Profile
Re: single point distributor cap
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2012, 03:43:20 AM »
Generally it can be any post the rotor points to when the #1 cylinder is at TDC.
For the correct position it is usually the center of the terminal left of the window but you should check the indexing of the distributor in case it was removed to make sure it lines up with #1 at true TDC.

Mike
67 04B LOS SS/RS L35 Hardtop - Original w/UOIT
67 05B NOR SS/RS L35 Convertible - Restored

JohnZ

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2012, 03:14:41 PM »
Correct factory distributor body orientation and wire indexing in the cap is shown in the photo below; the #1 wire tower is the next one clockwise from the adjustment window.
'69 Z/28
Fathom Green
CRG

Mike S

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2012, 05:52:04 AM »
 Did the engine factory use a jig to pre-position the oil pump shaft in relation to the dist drive gear on the cam so when the distributor was installed it was positioned at the correct distributor cap post?
I can't see them fiddling with locating the correct position otherwise.

Mike

JohnZ

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2012, 03:58:54 PM »
Did the engine factory use a jig to pre-position the oil pump shaft in relation to the dist drive gear on the cam so when the distributor was installed it was positioned at the correct distributor cap post?
I can't see them fiddling with locating the correct position otherwise.

Mike

At 170 per hour on Line #1 and 130 per hour on Line #2, I expect that they just set the engine at #1 TDC on the compression stroke, stabbed the distributor in the position in the photo above, and "bumped" the engine with an air-powered starter tool until the distributor dropped.
'69 Z/28
Fathom Green
CRG

Mike S

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2012, 04:03:20 AM »
At 170 per hour on Line #1 and 130 per hour on Line #2, I expect that they just set the engine at #1 TDC on the compression stroke, stabbed the distributor in the position in the photo above, and "bumped" the engine with an air-powered starter tool until the distributor dropped.

Hi John,

Bumping the engine to align the oil key would change the relative piston/valve timing position to the cap, no?
I have a feeling that there must have been a timing jig to set the initial oil gear position before dropping in the distributor to facilitate engine assembly.
  I found this article that describes a neat method to "walk" the distributor into position. I used the screw driver method but I'm going to give this method a try tomorrow.
Being a Corvette judge I'm sure you are aware of it.
http://www.corvette-restoration.com/resources/technical_papers/Distributor_Installation.pdf

This one has links to You Tube examples
http://www.classiccarauto.com/impala/how_to/install_distributor.shtml

I wonder if they used something like this if there wasn't a tool otherwise.

Mike
« Last Edit: February 25, 2012, 04:20:37 AM by 67-Z27 »

JohnZ

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2012, 04:31:38 PM »

Hi John,

Bumping the engine to align the oil key would change the relative piston/valve timing position to the cap, no? Mike

Nope, won't change anything - the helical gears on the distributor mainshaft and the camshaft are already engaged before the oil pump shaft engages the distributor gear.
'69 Z/28
Fathom Green
CRG

Mike S

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2012, 04:55:25 PM »
I overlooked the gear meshing fact. Now that makes the whole process clearer.

Thank you,
Mike