Author Topic: 1969 dated spark plug wires date format..  (Read 3528 times)

Camaroon

• View Profile
1969 dated spark plug wires date format..
« on: February 23, 2012, 01:50:01 AM »
Hi,  I am inquiring regarding the Packard dated spark plug wires that were/are being produced.
I have been told that the date code format that is printed on the wires came/comes in one of two ways.

Examples: 1 - Q - 69  or  1Q - 69     Another example  3 - Q - 69    or   3Q - 69

The difference in the two formats is in the use of the hyphen between the first character and the Q.

Were both date formats used for 1969 dated wires at that time? What is the correct date format for reproduction wires that are accurate for restoration?

Thanks in advance for input on the topic...

JohnZ

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
Re: 1969 dated spark plug wires date format..
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2012, 07:00:44 PM »
Were both date formats used for 1969 dated wires at that time? What is the correct date format for reproduction wires that are accurate for restoration?

Thanks in advance for input on the topic...

The hyphenated format is correct (1-Q-69, etc.).
'69 Z/28
Fathom Green
CRG

Camaroon

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2012, 02:35:54 PM »
Thanks John,

Please see the picture of the dated spark plug wire set I just received. As you can see, the wires use a script of one hyphen format of 1Q - 69. I contacted the vendor that I had purchased these from, they say they contacted the plug wire manufacturer who said that the format of the script that is printed on the wires is correct and accurate reproduction of what was used by the factory at that time.

The vendor also said that Corvette parts suppliers are the biggest buyer of these dated plug wires from the plug wire manufacturer, and that the Corvette parts suppliers will have it no other way than the one hyphen format script.
Perhaps someone with a good deal of experience with authentic C3 Corvettes as they came from the factory can offer input as to what the factory in Bowling Green used at that time.

However, my informal research on the internet of several other retail vendors of these dated spark plug wires show that they all use the two hyphen format
( 1 - Q - 69 ) in their product description and also in their related charts that show which date coded plug wires to order for various VIN number ranges and/or vehicle build dates. Pictures of their plug wire sets show the two hyphen format.

I would like to use wires that are printed with date code format that is a correct and accurate reproduction of what would have been found on a Camaro leaving the factory back in 1969. 

JohnZ

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2012, 03:53:26 PM »
I think there are only two manufacturers of the repro dated wires - Lectric Limited and M&H; most of the Corvette wires come from Lectric Limited, and the NCRS Judging Guides through 1967 call for the double-hyphen format. I'm not familiar with the 1968-up NCRS Judging Guides, but the Lectric Limited Corvette catalog calls for the double-hyphenated format through 1974. I have a dated Lectric Limited set of plug wires on my '69 Z/28, and they have the double-hyphen date format.
'69 Z/28
Fathom Green
CRG

anything