Author Topic: Removing frozen hoses from necks  (Read 4253 times)

Mike S

• View Profile
Removing frozen hoses from necks
« on: February 20, 2012, 08:07:45 PM »
 Several times I have helped friends remove their radiator hoses only to find they either cracked the neck or gouged it using screw drivers between the hose and neck/nipples.
I showed them this tool and they said they have never seen before it despite working on cars for a while.
I figured maybe showing it here for those who have never seen it would save time and unnecessary repairs as a result of removing frozen hoses especially if you have a Harrison radiator (very $$$$ to replace).
  To use, carefully wiggle the point to slip it between the hose and neck. When it's under then push it around the neck and presto, it's freed!
You can get this at places like Pep Boys for under $10.

Hope it helps,
Mike
67 04B LOS SS/RS L35 Hardtop - Original w/UOIT
67 05B NOR SS/RS L35 Convertible - Restored

1968RSZ28

• View Profile
Re: Removing frozen hoses from necks
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2012, 08:36:11 PM »
Yup, I've been using the Snap-On A173 version (now A173A) for 30 years.  Works great on the heater hoses at the heater core too!

Paul

Pacecarjeff

• View Profile
    • pacecarjeff.com
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2012, 10:22:34 PM »
I have a set of those - now I finally know what they are supposed to be used for.  LOL

jacmac

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2012, 12:25:49 AM »
Is it a good idea to grease up the fitting before you install a hose? Thats what Ive always done.Havent had any problems.
69 Z10,69 ss396Chevelle, 71 Corvette

Mike S

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2012, 01:32:59 AM »
Is it a good idea to grease up the fitting before you install a hose? Thats what Ive always done.Havent had any problems.

I've used that method too with good results using a very thin film of white lithium grease before sliding the hose on. What gets captured under the clamped area does help facilitate the removal later.

Mike
67 04B LOS SS/RS L35 Hardtop - Original w/UOIT
67 05B NOR SS/RS L35 Convertible - Restored

anything