Author Topic: TRACO Fans  (Read 173877 times)

Pigpen

• Ex-TRACO Engine builder - Now a Retired Old Fart
    • View Profile
Re: TRACO Fans
« Reply #165 on: March 15, 2015, 07:53:54 PM »
A little older - a little wiser!

http://www.sunews.net/article.cfm?articleID=643

Pigpen

MO

• View Profile
« Reply #166 on: March 16, 2015, 02:50:10 AM »
Very nice article!

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: March 16, 2015, 03:28:10 AM »
Very nice article!

Ditto! Thanks, Pigpen! 
Jon Mello
CRG

Pigpen

• View Profile
« Reply #168 on: March 16, 2015, 03:03:50 PM »
I have even more respect for Jim after reading that article.

90+ years old, still doing his thing.

* He smoked 1-2 packs a day his whole life.
* When the dyno was running, almost everyday, the shop was full of exhaust fumes, to the point where it was difficult to breath.
* Everyday for lunch he had his "Jim Special" at the cafe next door, a double cheeseburger, fries and apple pie with melted cheese.
* Whenever he wasn't working, you could find him at his favorite local bar and I never saw him there without a "drinky" (whiskey).

Some of us may live to our 90's no matter how we treat our body.

Pigpen

bcmiller

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: March 16, 2015, 04:11:39 PM »
Very nice article. 

Yes, hopefully we will all live well into our 90s.
Bryon / 1968 Camaro SS 396 coupe - now old school 468 big block
1967 Camaro RS/SS 396 coupe L35/M40 - 4 generation family project
Looking for 68 Camaro with body # NOR 181016

1109RWHP

• View Profile
« Reply #170 on: March 23, 2015, 03:51:41 AM »

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: March 24, 2015, 02:38:53 AM »
Not the greatest photo of those pieces. I was kind of surprised they went that high ($114.50).
Jon Mello
CRG

satman

• View Profile
« Reply #172 on: March 27, 2015, 12:03:43 AM »
Thanks Chad for starting this great thread I find the posts here  a refreshing upgrade to the giant waste of bandwidth found in the Toy Car section on this site.
Many thanks to Pigpen for taking us behind the scenes at Traco Engineering I find his insight and information some of the best stuff ever posted on this site...... Back in the day we could only dream of having a Traco power plant under the hood of our 67 Camaro

AL

Remember speed cost money how fast do you want to go ???

group/7

• View Profile
« Reply #173 on: February 14, 2016, 03:52:24 AM »
Jim Travers passed away February 12th. 2016, as a result of a fall in his shop.

http://www.indycartoday.com/full_story/view/2482/Legendary_Indy_mechanicengineer_Jim_Travers_dies_at_95/

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: February 14, 2016, 05:45:11 AM »
I saddened to hear the news but I'm glad to hear he still worked in his machine shop daily right to the end. It seems only fitting. Rest in peace, Jim.
Jon Mello
CRG

Trans Åm

• CA Central valley
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: February 22, 2016, 06:10:59 AM »
What an amazing man and story. That's how I want to live.
Nick

Pigpen

• View Profile
« Reply #176 on: April 11, 2016, 02:03:42 AM »
Very sorry hear he passed. He had a good long life, something not all of us will get to enjoy. He was doing what he enjoyed all his life, can't ask much more than that.

Rest in Peace Crabby, you're missed!

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: August 28, 2016, 02:07:40 AM »
Here's an original Traco t-shirt shared with us by Tom McIntyre. Tom bought this and some other shirts from Traco employee Walter Howell III (aka "Davy Crockett") who went to various races back in the day as part of Roger Penske's team.
Jon Mello
CRG

Dr L-88

• View Profile
« Reply #178 on: April 26, 2017, 03:04:12 PM »

If my memory still serves (questionable), the 327 block with 4 bolt mains was the main reason for setting up with 4" bore x 3" stroke for the 5 liter engines. TRACO had a lot of problems with cracking around the main webs using the 2 bolt blocks, even some of the 4 bolt blocks cracked. As I mentioned before, if the 300 Below process had been available back then, a lot of blocks and heads might not have adorned the scrap pile.

I think the earlier stamped metal rocker covers were used a lot because of the oil bafflels welded into them. Chevy came up with hollow push rods where the oil was pumped through, then just about any rocker covers would suffice and style became more of an issue.

I don't remember the exact Grey paint used, but it was chosen by Jim & Frank and mixed to their spec. The cans were marked TRACO GREY by the supplier. One of the reasons for using it was the ability to easily see any sort of "Leak" on the engine.

Pigpen

Hello everyone.  I haven't been here for a while but I just found this TRACO thread and have been enjoying it for the last couple of ours.  I too am a HUGE fan of TRACO, actually owned the TRACO-built 427 out of the Roger Penske 66 Corvette Sebring winner a few years ago (the engine that was in the car when it was vintage raced in early 90's), but I sold it to Jim Mangione in CA.  I retired from Sherwin Williams a few years ago, but I have a friend who still works in the color lab and he has computer matched the TRACO grey using an original painted piece I had. Yeah, Sherwin Williams makes automotive paint too, not just house paint. The color is dead on and it is a urethane quality so it's very durable.  I'll see if he can get me the formula.

I still have a few parts that came from the TRACO shop.......a couple of the degreed balancers and some 0 - (0 dash) prototype parts, Can Am aluminum blocks, etc.

GREAT thread here !!!!!
[/quote]

Well, at the urging of someone on another forum, I have finally gotten the Sherwin Williams formula for TRACO Gray.  It is in the attachment.  Just take this formula to your local SW automotive store and they should be able to mix you a pint or whatever quantity you need. PLEASE note, this formulation is a two component coating and the catalyst contains some pretty serious materials, so PLEASE wear the proper PPE (Personal Protective Equipment), respirator, mask, gloves, etc, etc.  Read the directions and MSDS before spraying this paint.  Not trying to scare anyone away, I just know these modern highly durable coatings can be dangerous if not used properly.  Hope this helps all you TRACO nuts (yeah, I'm one too).     

X33RS

• View Profile
« Reply #179 on: April 26, 2017, 04:29:50 PM »
I wound up with an 1178 crank from TRACO. 
  My neighbor, when living in Phoenix at the time lived across the street from an employee that worked at TRACO.  He brought home a complete TRACO built 302 that was rumored to be in the Penske car at one time.  Put it in his street 69Z, proved to be not that streetable.  Pulled it out and tried to sell it.  No takers so he tore it apart.  This was circa early to mid 80's.   He ended up selling the parts piece meal.  My neighbor bought the crank.   Was never used and I ended up with it.  I recently installed it in my DZ when I built the engine last year.  Thought it would be neat to have a piece of history in the car.  Plus it was a nice looking crank with throws polished and knife edged so I said why not.

anything