Author Topic: 68 Camaro Electrical Wiring Harness Question  (Read 4248 times)

68rs327conv

• View Profile
    • The build
68 Camaro Electrical Wiring Harness Question
« on: February 27, 2012, 12:45:28 AM »
I removed an aftermarket radio and and HVAC controls and discovered a couple of wires that appear to have been cut and I am not sure what they are for.  I am having trouble finding the radio in the wiring diagram.  Anyway on the harness above the radio there is a yellow wire that has be cut.  I also have two cut orange wires, one is a heavier gauge than the other.  I believe the lighter gauge orange wire might be related to the radio but not sure.   

Any help identifying the 3 wires would be greatly appreciated would be greatly appreciated. 

Mike
Mike
68 RS Conv 327/210hp, Powerglide Factory AC

68rs327conv

• View Profile
    • The build
Re: 68 Camaro Electrical Wiring Harness Question
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2012, 12:14:54 PM »
After doing some further searches, I think I found my answer.  Power lead to the AM radio is yellow.  Both orange wires were cut at the time of installation, as my vehicle has factory AC.

Would still appreciate if someone can confirm

Mike
Mike
68 RS Conv 327/210hp, Powerglide Factory AC

1968 Z28

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2012, 03:12:46 PM »
Can't confirm 100%......but according to the AIM, the radio power lead was supposed to be yellow-black.  According to the wiring diagram, for the standard heater setup, there was supposed to be two orange wires and a yellow wire going to the heater blower switch.  For the AC installation, I think a separate wiring harness was used.   So your supposition could be correct.
Jerry G.

Z28-1968-07C-Norwood
Ermine White, Red Std. Interior
2nd. Owner, 38,000 miles

JohnZ

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2012, 05:13:38 PM »
Look in your '68 Assembly Manual, section C60, sheet E7, View "A"; it shows the rework of the standard instrument panel harness when air conditioning is specified.
'69 Z/28
Fathom Green
CRG

anything