Author Topic: 67-68 shifter rubber donut  (Read 9924 times)

JoeC

• View Profile
67-68 shifter rubber donut
« on: August 15, 2011, 01:42:37 PM »
nice item.
The small Muncie shifter parts are hard to find. I had a box of parts from the old days of cutting off the chrome stick to convert for use on aftermarket Hurst shifters and i saved those small parts.

I am rebuilding one now and need the rubber donut.

Anyone have a extra rubber donut that goes on the main shaft between the shifter and the mount plate or know of a source?

bertfam

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2011, 01:53:46 PM »
Anyone have a extra rubber donut that goes on the main shaft between the shifter and the mount plate or know of a source?

AMK sells them. P/N 3910700

You can also get them from Clark's Corvair (Yes, they're the same grommet!). Number 22 (P/N C396) in their ONLINE CATALOG.

Also note that this same part was used on the shock absorbers!

(By the way, AMK sells them in a  4 pack, but you only need two.)

Or... if you also need the retainers (wahsers), you can get this SHOCK ABSORBER MOUNTING KIT from Rick's. Same exact thing, but you'll have a few parts left over.

Ed
« Last Edit: August 15, 2011, 02:38:29 PM by bertfam »

1968 Z28

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2011, 02:39:34 PM »
ED....I think Joe was referring to the rubber retainer that looks like a grommet  that fits over the main shaft.  Item #7 on the diagram below.  I would like to have a couple myself.  I've found some regular rubber grommets that are 1 1/8" outside diameter and 5/8" inside diameter that might work out...haven't ordered them yet though...still looking for the originals.

Jerry G.

Z28-1968-07C-Norwood
Ermine White, Red Std. Interior
2nd. Owner, 38,000 miles

1968 Z28

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2011, 02:51:24 PM »
nice item.
The small Muncie shifter parts are hard to find. I had a box of parts from the old days of cutting off the chrome stick to convert for use on aftermarket Hurst shifters and i saved those small parts.

I am rebuilding one now and need the rubber donut.

Joe....what are you using to replace the springy cover, that holds the ball bearings in place and holds tension on them, on the reverse detent assembly?  Haven't found anything good yet...am looking at using some heat shrink tubing...put the tubing over the bearings and shrink it down.
Jerry G.

Z28-1968-07C-Norwood
2nd. Owner, 38,000 miles

bertfam

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2011, 03:06:32 PM »
ED....I think Joe was referring to the rubber retainer that looks like a grommet  that fits over the main shaft.  Item #7 on the diagram below.

Ah. In that case I can't help. However, Jerry MacNeish restores original Muncie shifters so he may know of a source. Give him a call.

Ed
« Last Edit: August 15, 2011, 03:23:34 PM by bertfam »

JoeC

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2011, 07:05:10 PM »
yes I need the rubber donut #7

there is a ring shaped spring #12 and a plastic grease cup #9 that fits over the Rev detent balls (shown as the old design on that drawing) part # 11 and 10 is a washer and a C clip 

That drawing looks to be missing the gate spring and hat shaped retainer that goes in the #6 bracket and holds the chrome stick over to one side of the N gate

I had a custom spring shop make me a few of the ring shaped detent springs years ago but don't have any extra.
I will have to call them to see if I can get more.

68Zproject

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2011, 12:23:46 AM »
Do the repro shifter's parts work in the real ones?  If you found the parts for the repro ones they might work, but good look with a source for that too.
68Z28

JoeC

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2011, 12:30:13 PM »
I have been curious to see a repop shifter but have not got my hands on one yet so I don't know if they have all the small hard to find parts like the originals have.

Have heard they are poor quality and one swap meet vendor who sells new Camaro parts told me he won't sell them anymore because of too many returns. When I asked vendors at swap meets, they never had one at the meet.

Also have heard that some repop parts are getting mixed in with original parts on used ebay and swap meet shifters

1968 Z28

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2011, 01:39:15 PM »
Joe & Harvard....all the parts pretty much match up between a repro and original.  I bought a Chevelle repro shifter body, no handle or mounting ..they are cheaper, and used some of the small parts to complete an original and the only problem I noticed was that the reverse detent housing from the repro would not seat into the original main cage....had to use the original detent housing and the other parts from the repro.  You can plainly see that all the flat metal parts on the repro, like the cages and shifter arms, are laser cut...whereas the original ones are stamped cut.  But there are no significant differences when viewing the two side by side.   Oh yes, the Chevelle repro did not have a gate spring and hat assembly and the photos in the ad even showed the gate spring missing.  Does anyone know if the Chevelle shifter came that way from the factory?

I understand that the repros are made from the original drawings....not sure about the quality of the steel in the parts.
Jerry G.

Z28-1968-07C-Norwood
2nd. Owner, 38,000 miles

JoeC

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2011, 04:47:16 PM »
which stlye rev detent did the repop have, the 6 balls and ring spring or the coil spring (new design) ?

I as far as I know they all used the gate spring. The shifter stick will slap side to side without a gate spring .

Was the hole there in part #6 for the hat shaped retainer?

Maybe they used that drawing when making the repop as that drawing does not show the gate spring but I know some if not all had them.

1968 Z28

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2011, 06:31:05 PM »
I've seen two repro shifters, one a Camaro and the other the Chevelle, and both of them had the early style detent with the six balls.  The Camaro repro had the gate spring and hat installed but the Chevelle as I stated earlier did not have the gate spring but did have the hole for the spring and hat.
Jerry G.

Z28-1968-07C-Norwood
2nd. Owner, 38,000 miles

68Zproject

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2011, 11:27:20 PM »
I have a re-pop shifter for mine.  I intend on taking the tranny out as I've had a vibration problem since the rebuild of engine and tranny.  I might do it this week.  If I remember I'll take a pic of the shifter.
68Z28

ggtsvnv

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2011, 04:44:32 PM »
I just wanted to say thanks to Kurt for a great part that is impossible (or next to) to find! Now I will be able to mount my shifter they way it is supposed to be mounted.

68Zproject

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2011, 04:37:08 AM »
Ditto on that.
68Z28

67L78

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2012, 09:44:50 PM »
JoeC, i took the poor mans solution to that rubber grommet issue you refer to. Get a shock rubber grommet bigger than what you need and put it in the frezzer overnight. Next day take a bastard file and shape it down to whatever size you want. Worked just fine for me, but i've only got an ole driver car.

67L78

anything