Author Topic: 1970 Trans-Am season review (including "The Trans-Am Trail" by Sam Posey, etc)  (Read 49083 times)

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
Mike, I don't have much on that Dallas event due to it being cancelled. I don't think much got into print as far as practice results and that sort of thing go.
Jon Mello
CRG

SMKZ28

• View Profile
I just found this newspaper advertisement for the upcoming Trans-Am race at the Dallas International Motor Speedway to be held on April 25-26, 1970.  As we know it was cancelled to to weather.  It came from The North Texas Daily (Denton, Tex.), Vol. 53, No. 70, Ed. 1 Friday, April 24, 1970.  I found it at The Portal to Texas History: https://texashistory.unt.edu/
Scott
I don't have a 1st Gen but I have 1971 Z28 RS 4-spd, 1997 Z28 Z4C 6-spd, 2000 SS Convertible, 2010 RS 6-spd

SMKZ28

• View Profile
Here is an article for the upcoming Dallas race from The North Texas Daily (Denton, Tex.), Vol. 53, No. 69, Ed. 1 Thursday, April 23, 1970.  It also came from The Portal to Texas History.  To read the larger version click here: https://texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth326436/m1/4/zoom/?q=%20%22Dallas%20International%20Motor%20Speedway%22%20date:1970-1970&resolution=3&lat=5068.5778812984445&lon=3902.428347141447
Scott
I don't have a 1st Gen but I have 1971 Z28 RS 4-spd, 1997 Z28 Z4C 6-spd, 2000 SS Convertible, 2010 RS 6-spd

Oldtimer

• View Profile
I was supposed to work Timing and Scoring at the Dallas Trans Am race, and was there from day one.  I've slept a couple of night since then, but I honestly don't recall any on-track activity.  I have several press packets from the weekend stored away somewhere.  Will see if I can find them, and offer up some scans for this thread.

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
We'd love to see that stuff if you can find it. Thanks!
Jon Mello
CRG

group/7

• View Profile
I looked through the thread, but I can't remember if I had posted this photo before of the Chaparral Camaros waiting in the rain at the Dallas race 1970.

(autoweek photo)

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
That had not been posted previously so thank you for doing that now, Mike.

Looks like a miserable weekend.
Jon Mello
CRG

Oldtimer

• View Profile
We'd love to see that stuff if you can find it. Thanks!

Here's the first Press Kit I found, have it out as I am trying to make a custom 1/18 scale diecast of the car.

[/url]

Also found this while I was rummaging around.

I'll try to find more this weekend.

Trans Åm

• CA Central valley
    • View Profile
I am really excited about that cool Firebird bird on the cover of the pack, and of course the picture of the Firebird itself.

Thank you for posting!
Nick

Oldtimer

• View Profile
Not sure what happened to three of the pictures in my last post, but here they are again.  I found a Second Edition (1976) Chevy Power book in with some of my other memorabilia.

Oldtimer

• View Profile
Found two more items from the Dallas International Motor Speedway Trans Am.

First, here's the race Press Kit, along with copies of Press Releases during the rain event.

And here is the Penske Javelin Press Kit.

Not sure how many more I have, going through a lot of boxes.

If anyone wants better resolution pictures, please PM me.

group/7

• View Profile
Oldtimer, thanks for posting the TODCO item and the others, that is neat stuff !

The two links in your last post for the race Press Kit & the Penske Javelin item aren't working for me   :(

Mike

Oldtimer

• View Profile
DIMS Press Kit:  https://flic.kr/s/aHsmb25Cgq

Javelin Press Kit:  https://flic.kr/s/aHsm6Z6L49

See if these work.  I'm not sure how I messed up the initial post.

Sorry about that!

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
Some cool stuff there. Thank you for posting!
Jon Mello
CRG

group/7

• View Profile
Does any one have a clearer image of this decal (arrow) or what it might say on this Owens Corning '70 Camaro at I think

Bridgehampton 1970. A guess ? I think it says   Test Car "engineered for cleaner air" Has a Chevy bow tie at the top.

Mike

Can't seem to make the image smaller  ::) the decal is at the right side of the photo

(photo: Racing Sportscars)

anything