Author Topic: Installing inner window fuzzies.  (Read 3112 times)

lynnbilodeau

• View Profile
Installing inner window fuzzies.
« on: February 09, 2012, 07:38:21 PM »
I bought a very nice pair of original front door panels.  One has had the window fuzzy replaced.  They used 1/8 inch pop rivets instead of the original staples.

Other one I decided to replace with a perfect used one I had saved from an old door panel.

Removed the staples, drilled a couple holes in the new door panel to accept the staples.  But.... I can't get the staples bent down hard enough to hold the inner fuzzy in place.  Tried needle nose pliers, screwdrivers, c-clamps and vice grip c-clamps.  Can't get a good enough bite.

I don't have a giant metal piercing stapler.

What do you guys do?  Use pop rivets as was done on the other side?

The repair doesn't look too bad, but if one looks very closely, you can see the rivets.

Thanks for any help.
Lynn

Stingr69

• View Profile
Re: Installing inner window fuzzies.
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2012, 02:35:22 PM »
Are your holes drilled small enough? You want to just barely be able to put the staple through. It seems to me that I used needle nose vise grips to finish the crimps and once all the staples were crimped, the fuzzy was tight. One or two staples seemed way loose but once they were all done it was all good.

Hope this helps.

-Mark.

CNorton

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2012, 02:49:55 PM »
I found that it was necessary to open the machine-punched staple holes with a small drill bit in order to completely seat the new staple.  Once it was seated, a variety of small tools including needle-nose pliers, a small punch, and a light hammer got them folded over adequately.  None of them are loose and the strip is securely fastened to the metal backing.

lynnbilodeau

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2012, 11:29:09 PM »
Thanks guys.  Will give it another go before I give up and use pop rivets.

anything