Author Topic: Correct Heat Riser Part Number?  (Read 4016 times)

sdkar

• View Profile
Correct Heat Riser Part Number?
« on: February 06, 2012, 11:24:46 PM »
Hey guys,

I need some help in replacing my heat riser.  I have a 69 Camaro SS with 350 and factory exhaust.  The stud on the heat riser broke.  I am looking at replacements but see that there are several part numbers for what looks like the exact same part.  I am guessing they all have different heat ratings.  Anyway, does anyone know which part number is the correct one for my car?   Here is a link for the heat risers I found for sale on Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/s?ie=UTF8&rh=n%3A15726921&page=1

Thanks for the help.

Steve

1968 Z28

• View Profile
Jerry G.

Z28-1968-07C-Norwood
Ermine White, Red Std. Interior
2nd. Owner, 38,000 miles

IZRSSS

Re: Correct Heat Riser Part Number?
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2012, 12:43:36 AM »

sdkar

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2012, 05:36:49 AM »
While I am at it as well.  Is anyone able to tell me where I can order both new replacement heat shield for the stove pipe riser?  These are the the starter shield for the manifold and the circular insert that install over it for the stove pipe.

Thanks,

Steve

rich69rs

• LF7/M35/Z22/Z87
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2012, 06:45:56 PM »
A little off topic, but my experience with current replacement heat riser valves for both my '66 Chevelle and my '69 RS were dismal.  (Tried parts both from a major auto parts dealer as welll as a major restoration parts supplier).

In all cases, and after a relatively short period of time, they would bind and stick - often in the closed position.  There is a "donught" that you can purchase that has the shape of the heat riser minus the internals and external arm.  It installs in the place of the actual heat riser valve so the exhaust will connect correctly to the manifold.

For the relatively few hobby miles that I put on both cars each year, I haven't had any driveability or warm up issues by not having a heat riser valve installed.  And by not having them installed, I have eliminated a real nuisance - sticking heat riser valves - often in the closed position.

Also, for me, having the heat riser installed from an originality perspective was not important.

I just don't believe that the pacific rim pieces available today are of the quality necessry to ensure long term service - but just my humble opinion.
Richard Thomas
1969 RS

bertfam

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2012, 09:21:26 PM »
Since I live in a moderate to hot zone (Southern California), I just remove the "flapper" from the valve body. That way it appears factory but I don't have to worry about it sticking.

Perform the below modifications at your own risk.

Ed