Author Topic: Stupid Question - What does Sway Bar Rubber Sleeve/Clamp do?  (Read 12372 times)

68camaroz28

• View Profile
Re: Stupid Question - What does Sway Bar Rubber Sleeve/Clamp do?
« Reply #15 on: March 28, 2012, 12:19:58 PM »
George's picture is quite interesting. Both our 68 sway bar and brackets were painted black with the brackets seemingly dipped as many others due to small runs.
Chick
68 Z/28 NOR 01B Orig motor/trans/rear
69 Z/28 NOR 07A Orig Block & GM Cross-ram/carbs
69 L34 Rest. Nova Father/Son Car
69 L78 Surv Nova Purch 4/69 31K miles
67 L89 Corv Tribute
68 Corv 427/400 Orig motor
07 Corv Z06
R 68Z build- http://www.camaros.net/forums/showthread.php?t=182584

Hans L

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 28, 2012, 05:50:04 PM »
Interesting.  I painted the sway bar brackets a semi-gloss black, same color as the sway bar itself which appears to be correct now.   

But the sleeve clamps had light surface rust so I assumed they were natural finish.  I don't recollect seeing any paint remanents.  Easily could have been phosphated as that does not last long.   Also, from the picture posted, the insides appear dark (phosphate).   No chance it could just be the black bushing rubber rubbing off on the inside?   Does it appear the outer surfaces were phospated as well?  I see light surface rust and natural metal, which is why I'm asking.   

No expert, so looking for advice as well.
https://www.instagram.com/69camarorsz28/
'69 Camaro RS Z/28 Van Nuys Built
'69 Chevelle SS 396 4 Speed

NoYenko

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 29, 2012, 02:16:29 PM »
The "U" clamps holding the sway bar to the subframe on my car were definitely dip painted black. But the bushing sleeve clamp was rusted on the outside without paint.
I took it to a wire wheel before blasting it to see if it was silver zinc or black on the outside. It sure looked like it was dark phosphate. The zinc or phosphate blasts off very quick as is thin. A dipped painted part is harder to remove the paint. There were 2 rubber marks from the seam in the bushings that were harder to remove than the phosphate. The inside of the clamp had the rough feel to it like phosphate.  George.

randfr

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 09, 2012, 03:15:03 AM »
any ideas on where to buy the rubber insulators that go into the metal clamp?  or a decent substitution?

an online place that sells the metal clamp suggests "You will need to reuse your old rubber insulators or cut rubber strips to insulate the bracket."

Prackman

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 22, 2014, 10:51:34 PM »
"any ideas on where to buy the rubber insulators that go into the metal clamp?  or a decent substitution?"

Any updates on a source for the rubber components?
John
1969 Z/28 VN Built
1967 SS

anything