Author Topic: Documenting 1969 Fasteners  (Read 17674 times)

IZRSSS

Documenting 1969 Fasteners
« on: February 03, 2012, 02:31:47 PM »
This report is only for SCREWS ONLY. Information concerning Nuts, bolts, loose washers, etc. will collected at a later date.

Please submit the following information with a photo of your screw;

•   Build Date/Plant
•   Survivor/Frame-on/Rotisserie (restoration type if any)
•   Fastener part number per AIM (Assembly Instruction Manual)
•   Accurate measurements of your fastener
•   Finish (if known)
•   Photo of the fastener as illustrated below. Need good pic of headmark, shaft & tip. Including flange/captured washer. (If you have trouble posting pics I will post them for you, just send them to; vsotero78@yahoo.com)

Below is an example as it pertains to my car…

12A, LA, Frame-on, 9420415, 3/8” x 5/8” (1/2” Flange), Zinc…photo below.

I added a couple of pics for reference only. There is no need to photograph fastener w/tape measure. Additional information can be found here;
http://www.camaros.org/forum/index.php?topic=9074.0

I will notify everyone when we have sufficient numbers of a specific screw/PN...happy hunting!

THANKS IN ADVANCE FOR PARTICIPATING GENTALMEN & LADIES!  

IZRSSS

Re: Documenting 1969 Fasteners
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2012, 03:35:30 PM »
I counted a total of 184 different screws/PN's. What do you think about checking off a page at a time? There are a total of 7 pages. Each one will give you the PN's and where each one is located in the AIM...I chose to go with white letters and a black back ground. Seems to be a little easier on the eyes...especially for us older folks.

IZRSSS

« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2012, 05:39:02 PM »
Gets a little easier with a couple of bud-lights under your belt  ;D

69Z28-RS

• owner since 4-Apr-1976
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2012, 07:06:30 PM »
Marty,
I'd like to suggest a 'format' for compiling this information to make it most usable to ones restoring or verifying their cars.   What I'd prefer is a spreadsheet format with GM PN, Description, AIM pages which references the PN, along with the 'known' original mfg's markings (head mark).   I took information from your previous posts to lay out a simple example of what I'm speaking of below attached.   AMK catalog has a listing of most GM PN's with a description of size, etc (unless we have better data from somewhere?)..

Gary   69Z28-RS   

09C 69Z28-RS, 72 B 720 cowl console rosewood tint
69 Corvette, '60 Corvette, '72 Corvette
90 ZR1 red/red #246, 90 ZR1 white/gray #2466
72 El Camino, '55-'56-'57 Nomads, '55-'57 B/A Sedan

IZRSSS

« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2012, 08:40:36 PM »
Gary - I like your idea a lot. Lets get some more hits and if everyone agrees...we'll adopt your version! Just a little larger pics of the headmarks for us old vets. :)

IZRSSS

« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2012, 09:34:53 PM »

IZRSSS

« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2012, 09:44:09 PM »

IZRSSS

« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2012, 09:59:20 PM »

IZRSSS

« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2012, 12:05:07 AM »
Gary - The more I study your spread sheet the more I like it. Fill me in...how did you manage to post it on here? I have tried to copy paste onto a pic but even that doesn't work.

I think it would be a great way to store the information but I want to make sure we can post it on here so everyone has access to it.

Thanks

IZRSSS

« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2012, 01:02:46 AM »

IZRSSS

« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2012, 06:17:17 PM »
Guys…I think I've tried just about everything I can think of to make this topic more efficient. As far as I can tell there isn't...short of having an on-line PDF...not going to go there. So I guess we have no other choice but to keep plugging along.

If anyone would like a copy of the pics I’ve posted on this thread email me, and there yours (vsotero78@yahoo.com). I am hoping you’ll do the same.

Hats off to Chick for giving it a go w/the 68’s!

Here are the pics from up top condensed into one...

IZRSSS

« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2012, 09:03:18 PM »
1st pic upper left w/PN 3933052 is wrong...it should be 3824124.

IZRSSS

« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2012, 10:04:15 PM »
Anyone care to comment on these  ??? Bottom one is 9/32"...

69Z28-RS

• owner since 4-Apr-1976
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2012, 05:19:36 AM »
Gary - The more I study your spread sheet the more I like it. Fill me in...how did you manage to post it on here? I have tried to copy paste onto a pic but even that doesn't work.
I think it would be a great way to store the information but I want to make sure we can post it on here so everyone has access to it.
Marty,
It was a pain (for me) to figure out how to get a simple image of a simple spreadsheet on here, becuase I haven't done it in quite a while.  I recommend a spreadsheet format becuase it's easy to update as we get more information.  I think I used Paint to past in the spreadsheet (maybe after converting to word doc?) then ataching the image file?  it's NOT very convenient to work with images.  I'd bet one of the experts on here, William or Kurt, could recommend the best format to both update and share the data.   if you maintained a spreadsheet file, then periodcally converted to a PDF and put it into the cRG reports area, that would be best for everyone..  in my opinion..
 I also think it would be better to use 'graphics' as you were doing before, for the mfg marking', as some of the head marks in image format are difficult to see, and they take up lots more space in the file..
Gary

09C 69Z28-RS, 72 B 720 cowl console rosewood tint
69 Corvette, '60 Corvette, '72 Corvette
90 ZR1 red/red #246, 90 ZR1 white/gray #2466
72 El Camino, '55-'56-'57 Nomads, '55-'57 B/A Sedan

IZRSSS

« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2012, 02:30:27 PM »
Gary – I am certain CRG has good reasons for not allowing programs like PDF’s on here. Maybe I should have researched PDF files on websites a little more before exploring the idea as an option. From what I’ve been able to gather online, below is one reason PDF files are not allowed and I’m certain there are others…

“On the DVD, each document is stored in a single (usually large) PDF file. Unfortunately, when you access a PDF file on the web, the ENTIRE file is transmitted, even if you want only one page. So on this website, documents are split into smaller individual pages as JPG or GIF files. This keeps the bandwidth down (total data transmitted) and thus hosting costs to a minimum”.

I knew going into this it wouldn’t be something for those looking for a quick fix. This is going to take some time…a lot of time! But my hope is that folks like you will continue to offer their knowledge but more importantly their own Camaros as a resource. You have an excellent example with your survivor 69Z. That is exactly what we need to make this thing stick. There are also guys like George, Mike, and Hans that have excellent resources as well and have given of their time to add to this cause. That’s exactly what we need. I am also offering my car as well…although it isn’t a survivor, the folks that did the one and only restoration knew exactly what they were doing. So my guess is that this also included attention to fasteners.

Okay…I’ll get off my soap box and move on…here are the head-marks I posted at the other site. For those new to this discussion, the green asterisks simply mean that a particular head-mark has been determined factory correct. But again, these are not set in stone and are still open for debate.