Author Topic: Pin on vent window handle  (Read 5972 times)

SMoon67

• View Profile
    • My online garage - restoration pics
Pin on vent window handle
« on: January 26, 2012, 01:57:47 AM »
What's the best way to insert that pin?  It's a very tight fit.  Wouldn't want to damage anything.

Thanks.
67 RS/SS 350 4 spd Marina Blue
1988 IROC-Z Convertible
1957 Chevy Belair
1940 Chevy Cabover

IZRSSS

Re: Pin on vent window handle
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2012, 01:21:25 PM »
I would use a long pair of needle nose pliers to hold and position the roll pin onto the handle. If the hole doesn't line up I would position it and secure it in place with painters tape (if your going solo). Then gently tap the pliers with a hammer to get the pin started. Finish it off with a long shaft screw driver. Use the spade (cover the spade w/a cloth) against the pin and again gently tap on the shaft of the screw driver to finish it off.

I would also cover all exposed areas around the handle w/cloth just as an extra precaution.

1969rs

• View Profile
    • Northwest Arkansas Camaro Club
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2012, 02:43:37 AM »
IZRSSS is right when they say "gently". I was tapping my pin into the handle......
 My new vent glass arrived today.

I did notice the vent handles I had purchased from Rick's, the pin is larger than the original ones I pulled out. When I complete this project, I will be using the old pins. Dated vent window glass is not cheap.
Rick
1969 Camaro RS Coupe
1967 Camaro RS SS Convertible
Love 'em, drive 'em, enjoy 'em, share 'em

Petes L48

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2012, 05:04:38 AM »
Rather than tap, try using channel locks with the jaws wide apart.  You'll have to use a thin sheet of rubber or something to keep from gouging the handle side opposite the pin hole.  Squeeze the pin down into the hole, without putting any pressure on the glass.  I can't recall, but If it's a roll pin you may first need to compress the sides with needlenose to get it started into the hole.  If it's a solid pin with one end serrated, you want the smooth end going in first.  A small c clamp may also work to slowly press the pin into the hole.  If you do decide to tap the pin, you need to swing the glass wide open and back up the handle with something heavy like a body dolly to absorb the shock while striking the pin.  Bottom line you can't put pressure on the glass and have to be careful you don't damage the handle or paint.   

1969rs

• View Profile
    • Northwest Arkansas Camaro Club
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2012, 01:20:34 AM »
Hey Pete, IZRSSS, or SMoon, what is the easiest / safest way to remove the pin? I have used a pin punch and lightly tapped with a hammer, but am nervous on tapping too hard. I have used a little WD40 in hopes it would loosen things up a bit, but still nervous about tapping too hard. I have already broken one vent window. Don't want to make that expensive mistake again.
Rick
1969 Camaro RS Coupe
1967 Camaro RS SS Convertible
Love 'em, drive 'em, enjoy 'em, share 'em

MyRed67

• SZZLN 67
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2012, 05:50:57 AM »
1969rs>>>>>,
    When I did mine I put a block of wood (plain old pine) under the latch and punched the pin through into the wood, until there was plenty there to grip with Vise-grips and pull it the rest of the way out.
1967 Camaro  LOS  11A
Original Engine   Z - Tribute
Mike C.    NW - Illinois

SMoon67

• View Profile
    • My online garage - restoration pics
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2012, 10:53:51 PM »
I used a wood clamp with padding to compress the vent window handle.  Sort of like one side of the clamp on the inside of the glass, the other on the outside of the glass.  By compressing it there's less tension on the path for the pin.  Removing an old one was much easier.  Installing the new one was still a bear.  They must have had a special tool for this at the factory.

The clamp was like this one.  They're about $20 at Home Depot, depending on the size you want.  They're also handy when sealing the weatherstripping.
67 RS/SS 350 4 spd Marina Blue
1988 IROC-Z Convertible
1957 Chevy Belair
1940 Chevy Cabover