Author Topic: Frustration in finding the right body shop  (Read 5571 times)

DAVEN1256

• View Profile
Frustration in finding the right body shop
« on: January 19, 2012, 10:30:05 PM »

I am going to throw this out there to see what people think. Maybe get some opinions and/or suggestions..... Sorry for it being so long!

I have been searching for a body and paint shop to do the final sheet metal tweeking and paint job on my '68 coupe and find myself having more frustrations than anything else.

Let me explain first how far along my car is now. It was a former New York state rust bucket car. The shell of the car (from the firewall back) was completely rebuilt with full panel replacements. I have a rust free shell now. The shop that did this work specializes in Camaro panel replacements. They have worked with both Goodmark and AMD test fitting panels. Their body rebuilds have been featured in major car magazines. They worked with Hot Rod Magazine to help produce a restoration video series. They only do panel replacements, though. No body work or paint. There are numerous minor imperfections in the sheet metal that need to be fixed. When I asked the shop about this, they said the car was in the "rough metal state" and that my paint and body shop would take care of these.

I have almost all of my front end sheet metal accumulated for the project. It is all original used GM parts in excellent condition or needing very minor repairs.

HERE IS WHAT I NEED NOW FROM A BODY SHOP:
First off, I only need to them to put the car in paint. I want to walk away with a just a painted, rolling shell. Nothing more! I can do the rest of the work myself to see the project through to completion.

I need the imperfections in the repaired shell fixed.

I need the imperfections in my front end sheet metal fixed.

I need the front end sheet metal assembled and aligned.

I want an a nice, straight, no ripples body with even and consistent panel gaps.

I want show quality paint with no orange peel.

HERE IS WHERE THE FRUSTRATION STARTS: I have read a lot of posts on this website and have talked to some know legable people and thought I had a fair idea of how much this would cost. I thought maybe 10K to 15K. Maybe a little more............I visited 13 restoration shops in the State of Florida this past November and December. Some in my immediate area and some as far as two hours away from me. I could not haul my car to all of these shops. I went in with extensive photos of my car and all the areas that are going to need work. I sat down with the shop owners or managers. We went through the pictures and I went over my goals and expectations for the car. Of course, they could only give ballpark figures and I understand that...............I got a low estimate of $4500 to a high estimate of $70,000 ( I am not kidding.... $70,000 !!! ) and everywhere in between. Numbers like $15K, $25K, $30K, and $45K......... I got shop rates ranging from $45/hr to $70/hr.......... We didn't break down the price into labor rate x hours plus materials at each place. Where we did talk hours, I got totals of 400, 500, and 1000 hrs.

At most of the places with an estimate lower than $25K, I wouldn't have been comfortable dropping my car off there. I saw shops that looked like junk yards on the outside and like a tornado hit the inside. I saw a lot of work that was just so-so and some poor quality work too. Of the shops that had completely painted cars there to look at, I only saw cars that impressed me at three shops. Cars that I would be pleased if my car came out like that. These were at the $25K, $30K, and $45K shops. The shop that said possibly $70K had a finished '68 Camaro in their shop that was OK but nothing special.

I thought getting the shell repaired would be the hardest part of the project. Now I am finding this body shop search to be. I am frustrated at the differences in prices between shops. I am frustrated that most of the shops that were in that 10k to 15K price range did not have decent looking cars.

Am I barking up the wrong tree to think I can end up with the kind of car I want ( again, just a painted rolling shell ) for 15K more spent in addition work that has already been done? Just wondering what people think.

1968RSZ28

• View Profile
Re: Frustration in finding the right body shop
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2012, 12:21:44 AM »
Give Ken Lucas a call...  http://lucas-restorations.com/default.aspx

Paul

camaronut

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2012, 12:50:18 AM »
Lucas Restorations.

IF you want your car done right.

68camaroz28

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2012, 11:38:35 AM »
The poster stated "I only need to them to put the car in paint" and asked for help with picking a shop that can do bodywork and paint with a list of "I need", etc., and he will assemble. Lucas Restorations does outstanding restoration, one of the best, but they do no bodywork and paint.
Chick
68 Z/28 NOR 01B Orig motor/trans/rear
69 Z/28 NOR 07A Orig Block & GM Cross-ram/carbs
69 L34 Rest. Nova Father/Son Car
69 L78 Surv Nova Purch 4/69 31K miles
67 L89 Corv Tribute
68 Corv 427/400 Orig motor
07 Corv Z06
R 68Z build- http://www.camaros.net/forums/showthread.php?t=182584

lakeholme

• 68-12D L30/M35
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2012, 01:08:18 PM »
Check with local car clubs...?
Phillip, HNR & NCR-AACA, Senior Master, Team Captain, Admin.,
Spring Southeastern Nationals chair, AACA National Director

DAVEN1256

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2012, 06:49:44 PM »
Thanks for all the replies and suggestions. I know about Lucas and their reputation. I was hoping to stay closer to home but I will definately consider them.

68camaroZ28.......Thank you for your tip on Lucas. I didn't understand the quoting from my post and that Lucas doesn't do bodywork and paint.

1968 Z28

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2012, 08:55:01 PM »
Lucas Restorations does not do their own body work and paint.  They have a couple of shops, and they are not just run of the mill body shops, that do their restoration body and paint work.  In other words, the shops pay attention to detail and their work is tailored to actually restoring a car to its factory condition, not just slapping some sheet metal together and covering up the faults that remain.

BTW Daven...where are you located.  If you are in their area, Lucas Restorations might could put you in contact with someone that might help you.    Just a thought.
Jerry G.

Z28-1968-07C-Norwood
Ermine White, Red Std. Interior
2nd. Owner, 38,000 miles

IZRSSS

« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2012, 10:19:33 PM »
I can't say enough good things about Ken. I have emailed him on several occasions and he gets right back to me. Give him a call or email him and air your concerns. I'm sure he'll point you in the right direction.

http://lucas-restorations.com/default.aspx

68camaroz28

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2012, 02:12:41 AM »
Thanks for all the replies and suggestions. I know about Lucas and their reputation. I was hoping to stay closer to home but I will definately consider them.

68camaroZ28.......Thank you for your tip on Lucas. I didn't understand the quoting from my post and that Lucas doesn't do bodywork and paint.

Our car is currently painted but not assembled yet, and everything and anything plus associated with paint was completed by East Coast Muscle Cars which has done several cars for Lucas Restoration. The Cortez 69Z currently on the front of Camaro Enthusiast (think that is what its called) was completed by Lucas Restorations with East Coast Muscle Cars (ECMC) handling everything associated with bodywork and paint. ECMC had four cars in little over six months shot for magazines and they are just top shelf IMHO. Lonny Gordon is the owner and is easily accessible and helpful as I have known him for over 25 years. You want one of the best, then give Lonny a call at ECMC in Craley, PA.
Chick
68 Z/28 NOR 01B Orig motor/trans/rear
69 Z/28 NOR 07A Orig Block & GM Cross-ram/carbs
69 L34 Rest. Nova Father/Son Car
69 L78 Surv Nova Purch 4/69 31K miles
67 L89 Corv Tribute
68 Corv 427/400 Orig motor
07 Corv Z06
R 68Z build- http://www.camaros.net/forums/showthread.php?t=182584

firstgenaddict

• caretaker of 1971 LT1's 11130 & 21783
    • View Profile
    • Groome Family Automobiles
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2012, 08:58:17 PM »
Ask for references and check with them, see if there are any jobs you can check out locally, it would be great if a few were 5+ years old so you can get an idea of the quality of the underlying work.

I have seen 12k paint jobs that looked presentable from 10 feet but when you get right up on it the attention to detail was not there, cowl vents not prepped, dirt in the jambs, old (cracking) body sealer in the trunk jambs etc etc etc...

When asked for a price I have found it is best to ask:
From how far do you want it to appear flawless? 6 feet? 1 foot?
The price basically doubles...

6 feet  12-15000 +
1 foot  22000-32000 +

Few people can appreciate the amount of time required to do near flawless paint... fewer have the patience required to produce it.

James
Collectin' Camaro's since "Only Rednecks drove them"
Current caretaker of 1971 LT1's - 11130 and 21783 Check out the Black 69 RS/Z28 45k mile Survivor and the Lemans Blue 69 Z 10D frame off...
https://plus.google.com/photos/112392262205377424364/albums?banner=pwa

anything