Author Topic: How to run the positive (red) wire from carb to power source.  (Read 3696 times)

discobiscuit

• View Profile
A buddy of mine hooked up my Edelbock carb and the car has always run a littlr rough.  I do not know the first thing about carbs and know just enought about engines where I eventually have to take the car to a real mechanic.  I was poking around under the hood a few days ago and noticed, just by change, that the red wire from the carb was hooked up to the positive side of the coil.  I watched a youtube video about installingn carbs and the instruction said NOT to hook the carb up to the coil but to run the red wire to the fuse box.  I have two questions:

1) Is that correct?  Shoudl the red wire be run to the fuse box and into which fuse receptacle?
1) How do I change the end of the red wire so it will plug into the fuse box?  IS there a special wire to use?
3) How do I get the wire through the fire wall to the fuse box?
4) Can I purchase a new fuse box?  If so..where?  I spent about 30 mins last night searching for a replacement fuse box for my 67 Camaro and those things do not seem to be around anywhere. 

Thanks guys. I know these are really simple questions but I'm way behind the knowledge curve when it comes to engines.  Really appreciate the info. 

Kelley W King

• View Profile
Re: How to run the positive (red) wire from carb to power source.
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2012, 01:50:09 PM »
I guess you are refering to the electric choke wire. The instructions do say what you state. It could be because points cars don,t usually have 12 volts there when running or they don,t want you to draw off the ignition power If you go to the fuse box you want a fuse that is only on with the switch on not one with power on always. I put one on my 64 vette years ago and due to reasons forgotten I did put it on the positive side on the coil. It runs fine and has for years. I might add that I do have a mallory electronic kit replacing the points. My 67 Chevelle was done the same way when I bought it with points and it ran fine. If you need to check it just unplug the red wire at the choke and tape it up and try it. The choke won,t work but if it still runs rough look somewhere else.
69 Z28 RS Scuncio Hi Performance
69 SS L78
67 SS Chevelle
64 Corvette
66 GTO Tiger Gold
77 Trans Am Special Edition

JohnZ

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
Re: How to run the positive (red) wire from carb to power source.
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2012, 04:42:03 PM »
Electric chokes require a full 12 volts to operate properly; when connected to the coil (+), it's only getting about 7 volts, and it won't open fully. That red wire needs to be connected to an ignition-switched full 12-volt source at the fuse panel - one of the small cavities on the inboard side of the fuse panel should be marked "IGN", and will only show power when the key is in the "on" position. That's where you need to connect it.
'69 Z/28
Fathom Green
CRG

anything