Author Topic: 69 wiper transmission and cowl plenum area color  (Read 34865 times)

KurtS

• CRG Coordinator
    • View Profile
Re: 69 wiper transmission and cowl plenum area color
« Reply #30 on: September 25, 2006, 03:21:18 AM »
John, my mistake, I thought we had discussed your cowl plenum being blacked out.

Dave69x33,
RamAirDave's pics are of a black striped car, so the plenum is painted black as expected.

I'd say John's article is accurate, the assembly process as described is how they made the cars. Original cars confirm this.

Pacers would not have had much an impact on processing, since they were spread out over 2-3 months.

Yes, that pacer is very original. It was here in MI in the original family. Looks like it's been sold or someone (Jim?) moved.

Kurt S
CRG

RamAirDave

• View Profile
    • TheMuscleCarGuys.com
« Reply #31 on: September 25, 2006, 05:15:51 AM »
I have some pics of an original paint 69 PC somewhere.  I'll dig through them and see if there is a pic of the cowl area.

I remember that it was masked off orange, like Dave69x33's pics.

I've only dealt with a few original paint cars, and none were blacked out like JohnZ has said the were "supposed" to, but often were not.
"Build them how the designers and engineers envisioned them to be"

www.TheMuscleCarGuys.com

Mark

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 30, 2006, 12:11:11 PM »
I don't think you can say that a car with black stripes had the lower cowl area blacked out.  Thats just overspray from painting the top of the cowl area, which all cars with the Z28 stripes got.  In this case the paint just happens to be black.
Mark C.
1969 Indy Pace Car
350/300HP RPO Z11

Dave69x33

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 04, 2006, 01:28:54 AM »
Hello everyone.  I met up with the owner (Jim Stegemiller in Pendleton, IN) this past Sunday at a car show.  Jim has the original, unrestored 69 Pace Car that I mention earlier in this discussion.  Jim is the 2nd owner and purchased the car from family, who were the original owners of the car.  I confirmed that the car has been in his family since new and is indeed a survivor car and had not been repainted. 

The cowl vent well area was painted body color (white).  The cowl vent was on the body when the stripes were painted, with stripe color (orange) overspray in the well area, as confirmed in my previous pics.  The wiper linkage was painted black, which confirms the assembly process we have learned about (and I mistakenly got the sequence out or order in one of my previous replies. P.S I pulled my wiper linkage out this evening and painted it black!!...ha ha).  See attached pics of this Pace Car of the cowl vent area.

Interesting side notes:  There was some mismatch on the stripe line continuation from the cowl vent down onto the hood (due to being painted in separate booths?).  The LH front fender peak line does not match up with the peak line on the door. The fender was approx. ¼” to 3/8” higher than the door, yet the D96 fender pin striping was painted straight down the fender onto the door. This Pace Car replica never had the Indy 500 decals.

firstgenaddict

• caretaker of 1971 LT1's 11130 & 21783
    • View Profile
    • Groome Family Automobiles
« Reply #34 on: October 04, 2006, 01:57:48 PM »
Differnet booths? NOT at Norwood
Try Different buildings... the front "doghouse" was painted at Chevrolet Assembly not at Fisher body... also the cowl grille was not striped while on the car... it was off of the car... if you were to remove the cowl grille on the pace car there would be orange in places that overspray would not have been able to reach.
James
Collectin' Camaro's since "Only Rednecks drove them"
Current caretaker of 1971 LT1's - 11130 and 21783 Check out the Black 69 RS/Z28 45k mile Survivor and the Lemans Blue 69 Z 10D frame off...
https://plus.google.com/photos/112392262205377424364/albums?banner=pwa

JohnZ

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 04, 2006, 04:06:28 PM »
The door-to-fender fit misalignment with a correctly-aligned D96 pinstripe is very common; the pinstripe was applied at the end of the Final Line, long after the front sheet metal was installed, with a fixture the length of the car that clamped in place and had steel guide rails on it for the Beugler pinstriping guns. Regardless how poor the door-to-fender fit was, the pinstripe would always match from the door to fender.
'69 Z/28
Fathom Green
CRG

firstgenaddict

• caretaker of 1971 LT1's 11130 & 21783
    • View Profile
    • Groome Family Automobiles
« Reply #36 on: October 04, 2006, 06:16:07 PM »
Kinda like this?

James
Collectin' Camaro's since "Only Rednecks drove them"
Current caretaker of 1971 LT1's - 11130 and 21783 Check out the Black 69 RS/Z28 45k mile Survivor and the Lemans Blue 69 Z 10D frame off...
https://plus.google.com/photos/112392262205377424364/albums?banner=pwa

JohnZ

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 05, 2006, 03:05:16 PM »
Yup, like that.  :)
'69 Z/28
Fathom Green
CRG