Author Topic: Window Tinting preferences  (Read 4021 times)

ScottJon

• View Profile
Window Tinting preferences
« on: January 14, 2012, 06:54:46 AM »
Hi

i was wondering what you all think of tinting windows on an all original first gen car?

I have a 69 Z28 and I live in So Cal, it gets really hot here and all my other cars i tint the windows to keep the sun out and UV rays

I always look at other peoples cars and dont see too many that tint the window's

anyone have strong feelings one way or another ?

I know i can peel it off if i need to, and I have no intentions of selling the car.

does it take away from the originality? or the look? or is this really a stupid question and I should just tint them ?
Happy 1969 Z28 owner guardian

adjudimo

• View Profile
Re: Window Tinting preferences
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2012, 10:40:48 AM »
I personally feel as though you should do what works for you. If it were a bolt and nut restoration and all original, and you planned on having it judged; I would say don't tint them. However with the UV rays much stronger these days, it might be a good choice for your health if nothing else. I personally will eventually tint my windows regardless of what others think. My optomitrist has written a perscription for me to have darker tint than allowed by laws in my state. I have a condition that makes my eyes much more sensitive to light than most people and besides, it will also make the car cooler. I don't have AC in my 67 but it is definitely on the list for later on. Like you mentioned, the tint can be removed if wanted/needed. So with that said, it's your car, do what suits you and your needs and don't worry about what others think. They are not the ones paying for, working on, or driving the car. It's yours, so enjoy it in your own way. I have already put a strip across the front top windshield. My car came with clear glass all around. Just my 2 cents.

lakeholme

• 68-12D L30/M35
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2012, 12:54:50 PM »
Since you asked under General Discussion, I really don't disagree  with adjudimo's comments.
But don't you answer your question in saying it is "all original"? If you tint, it won't be and look original.
Phillip, HNR & NCR-AACA, Senior Master, Team Captain, Admin.,
Spring Southeastern Nationals chair, AACA National Director

ScottJon

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2012, 07:51:42 PM »
It is all original and Im literally picking the car up Tuesday from a total nuts and bolt (and money) restoration

thats kinda why i asked for opinions, you are right, it wont look original with tinted windows, thats my quandary

I think you are both right and i should do whats best for the me and the car which is tint them, im not interested in having it judged or anything, the restoration was just for me. I wanted it dead stock and totally original since it is a  numbers matching Z28

69houdini

• 69 SS X55 Butternut Vert / 68 Z28 Rally Green
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2012, 08:26:30 PM »
scottjon, It's your ride, do what you want. I live in San Pedro where did you get your restoration done? I'm always looking for good shops.

ScottJon

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2012, 08:50:22 PM »
I found a shop in Van Nuys.  Just a mile or so from the old factory where the car was manufactured

69houdini

• 69 SS X55 Butternut Vert / 68 Z28 Rally Green
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2012, 09:59:48 PM »
I would like to see your car sometime, what's the name of the shop?

ScottJon

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2012, 11:54:29 PM »
it is DH Automotive in Van Nuys

Daniel Haas is the owner