Author Topic: Hello to All  (Read 20712 times)

chili r

• View Profile
Hello to All
« on: January 13, 2012, 03:43:50 AM »
I am new here and once I figure how to post pictures I will share. I am Refreshing a 67 base coupe with 230, 3 on the tree and only option is am radio. My mother in law is orginal purchaser and she gave to me as car was driven daily from 67 to 1974. The car sat since 1974 and about 2 months ago I dropped fuel tank and cleaned and changed oil and fluids and made shore breaks released. pulled plugs and WD40 in holes and verified engine spun. Sprayed start fluid in carb and jump boxed it and it started on first crank. Smoked for a while and I then drove it 1 and 1/2 hours to my home. Thanks for reading.

Gramps69Z

• 69 X33 D80
    • View Profile
Re: Hello to All
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2012, 04:13:34 AM »
Welcome and nice job getting it going.
Captain John Wykoff
Destin Fire:   October 31, 2015 at 0700--Officially Retired

stovebolt

• 1968 L6 Sport Coupe
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2012, 01:40:29 PM »
I have a 68 coupe, L6 with 3 speed column shift also. I 've never seen another one so I'm looking forward to seeing your pictures. Joe.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2012, 01:59:02 PM by stovebolt »

leadfoot4

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2012, 06:44:40 PM »
Back in the '67-'70 time frame, my father had a '67 coupe, with the 250 6 cylinder engine, 3 speed stick, with the floor mounted shifter, as well as the HD suspension, disc brakes (which came with the rally wheels), posi rear end, and the D70-14 red stripe Firestones. I took my drivers test in '68, in that car. Even though it only had the 6 cylinder engine, which the driving test person didn't know, the car looked hot, and I think he made up his mind to flunk me, even before I drove an inch.....

1968RSZ28

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2012, 07:31:45 PM »
I am new here and once I figure how to post pictures I will share.

Welcome!  Here's some good information on posting pictures on this site...  http://www.camaros.org/forum/index.php?topic=7809.0

Paul

KurtS

• CRG Coordinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2012, 07:25:37 AM »
That's a long time to sit and then fire up! Congrats. Cooling system was fine too?
Any documentation for the car?
Curious to see pics! :)
Kurt S
CRG

chili r

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2012, 05:09:43 AM »
I am not having any luck  loading pictures. I have many pictures now as I removed front clip and rebuilt and detailed etc. I rebuilt engine and improved cylinder head for unleaded gas usage. Just put engine and subframe back into body. I will try pictures later. :-[

chili r

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2012, 05:24:02 AM »
Also yes i have all paperwork,invoice,protecta plate,mother in law is a horder  ;D. Funny story is my mother in law thought this whole time she had the <upgraded 6 cylinder> and I informed her it was the base 230. She stated NO I told the salesman I wanted a manual and V8 but the extra cost was almost 3 weeks of her pay. Cashier at A&P  ::). Salesman showed her 2 6 cylinder cars and she stated I want the upgraded 6 cylinder. Guess what, the dealer just put the 250 air cleaner on the 230 car and sold it to her. They wrote upgraded engine on invoice :o.

68SixBangerRS

• Camaro Project from HELL
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2014, 03:57:50 AM »
Chill-r...great story about your Mother-in-law, and God bless her! Yeah, women always get taken advantage of (in many different ways :). How old is Mom, and does she still get rides around in her old Camaro? I got occassional rides to elem. school in a brand new '67 Camaro (gold with a gold interior, 6 cylinder with a PG trans) that belonged to my neighbor Cindy Williams' mom. She traded in a '59 copper colored 4-door Belair for it (a great trade, yes?). I have some of the original paperwork for my weird '68 RS (230 six with 3-on-the-tree), and tracked down the original lady owner through the website "USA People Search" (her name was on the P-O-P). She was 46 in 1968, recently divorced, and working as a dental assistant, so not much money for new car payments. She drove past Webber Chevrolet in Coventry, RI while going to and from work, and one evening in January there was a beautiful turquoise SS-RS Camaro in the showroom's main window...she had to stop and see it. After reviewing the bottom line with the dealership's owner, she realized she couldn't afford the payments. She really wanted a Camaro with hideaway headlights, so Mr Webber suggested she order a base Camaro with the RS option. She skipped ordering a radio and any power options, and thus the world's weirdest RS was born.

chili r

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2014, 11:48:08 AM »
Thanks, mother in law is 66 years old and when I finished detailing it up and making road worthy I went to take her a ride. When I arrived to her house to bring her out to view her face brightened up and broke out in tears and gave me a great BIG hug. Priceless ! I asked her if she was ready for a ride and she responded " Give me the keys I'm Driving!"  Mind you she weighs all of 85 pounds due to fighting cancer, she hops in car and fired it up and put it in reverse  and as the old saying goes " it's like riding a bike you never forget no matter how long between rides" as car is three on the tree. We backed out of the driveway and as she straightened it out she looked at me and said " WIMP, you put power steering on my Baby!'  I laughed and said I wasn't as tough as you mom. Great moment and every day creating more.

69Z28-RS

• owner since 4-Apr-1976
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2014, 02:36:45 PM »
Also yes i have all paperwork,invoice,protecta plate,mother in law is a horder  ;D. Funny story is my mother in law thought this whole time she had the <upgraded 6 cylinder> and I informed her it was the base 230. She stated NO I told the salesman I wanted a manual and V8 but the extra cost was almost 3 weeks of her pay. Cashier at A&P  ::). Salesman showed her 2 6 cylinder cars and she stated I want the upgraded 6 cylinder. Guess what, the dealer just put the 250 air cleaner on the 230 car and sold it to her. They wrote upgraded engine on invoice :o.

Probably only applied the 250 sticker over the 230... :)    Just another example of why you believe NOTHING a salesman tells you, and to VERIFY everything....  :)
09C 69Z28-RS, 72 B 720 cowl console rosewood tint
69 Corvette, '60 Corvette, '72 Corvette
90 ZR1 red/red #246, 90 ZR1 white/gray #2466
72 El Camino, '55-'56-'57 Nomads, '55-'57 B/A Sedan

ko-lek-tor

• someday I'll get one finished
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2014, 05:46:21 PM »

Probably only applied the 250 sticker over the 230... :)    Just another example of why you believe NOTHING a salesman tells you, and to VERIFY everything....  :)
I was thinking about this very thing, sales/dealer doing whatever to sell a car and thought I would make this a post topic. We know what should have come on our cars, but a lot of possible hocus pocus on the dealer level to make a sale.
Bentley to friends :1969 SS/RS 396 owned 79
1969 SS 350 (sold)
1969 D.H.COPO replica 4spd. owned since 85
1967 302 4 spd 5.13

69Z28-RS

• owner since 4-Apr-1976
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2014, 02:37:38 AM »
I inten

I was thinking about this very thing, sales/dealer doing whatever to sell a car and thought I would make this a post topic. We know what should have come on our cars, but a lot of possible hocus pocus on the dealer level to make a sale.

I intended to go back and modify/edit that ..  to say that not ALL Salesmen would lie to make a sale (we may have some honest salesmen on this site :) .. . but certainly a lot of them will..  and perhaps they think they HAVE to to keep food on the table??   The main thing to learn is to verify all information yourself, and do not accept everything you hear...
09C 69Z28-RS, 72 B 720 cowl console rosewood tint
69 Corvette, '60 Corvette, '72 Corvette
90 ZR1 red/red #246, 90 ZR1 white/gray #2466
72 El Camino, '55-'56-'57 Nomads, '55-'57 B/A Sedan

68SixBangerRS

• Camaro Project from HELL
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2014, 04:39:41 PM »
Chill-R...great story and please wish your Mother-in-law a great Mother's Day. I hope she wins her battle with cancer and is around for many more years to drive her baby once in awhile. I take it you had to replace the 230...was it shot? Did you keep the replacement engine as close to original as possible, and does the air cleaner still have the bogus 250 decal on it :)? I would like to look your Camaro's six over and take notes on stuff like carb spring size and color, fuel line routing, radiator hoses and clamps, etc. I also need to see how the backup light wiring is routed to the bottom of the steering column as the wiring in mine is butchered up. There are virtually no 6 cylinders left to use as references, and the fact that you're only 60 miles away is too good to pass up. I had a '72 Nova 4-door when I was stationed in the Navy in San Diego in the early '80s...it was a 250 with 3-on-the-tree and non power steering...a real handfull to parallel park. Did you have to do much work to the Camaro to bring it back?...it looks pretty amazing and I'm sure it must get alot of attention at Camaro shows.

My experiences with car salesmen is they tell you whatever they have to tell you to get the sale...caveat emptor.

chili r

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2014, 03:54:15 AM »
68SixBangerRS,Thanks and I drive the 230 engine but seems to have a main or piston noise as oil pressure and temp are fine. I have driven 1500 plus miles and the noise bothers me so I will pull and put in another engine then rebuild 230. I am actually in Marysville Ohio near Dublin so you can contact me and look or pictures or whatever as I work and drive all around Columbus.