Author Topic: Adjusting breaker points?  (Read 8450 times)

discobiscuit

• View Profile
Adjusting breaker points?
« on: January 09, 2012, 01:38:49 AM »
Bought new points, condenser, rotor, cap and feeler gauges today. Now I need to set the points but don't know how.  I can seperate the contact points and insert the .019 feeler gauge...then what?  I know to turn the screw on the points but how do I know when the adjustment is done/connect?  Thanks.

srode

• View Profile
Re: Adjusting breaker points?
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2012, 02:08:42 AM »
Turn the rotor shaft until the points bumper is up on the high spot on the cam that is in the center, and you should just be able to feel a slight drag when the points are set at the right gap.  You should also be able to slide the feeler gauge back in the points easily after pullling them out.  You might have to bump the engine a couple times to get the points up on the top of the lobe. 
Steve - 02D Z11 and a Plain Jane hardtop

Mike S

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2012, 02:45:06 AM »
 If you are going to maintain a Kettering inigtion then you should invest in an inductive type of timing light and dwell meter. Replacing the points will change the timing.

Mike
67 04B LOS SS/RS L35 Hardtop - Original w/UOIT
67 05B NOR SS/RS L35 Convertible - Restored

JohnZ

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2012, 04:10:57 PM »
A dwell meter is an essential tool with points ignition - just turn the adjusting screw until the meter shows 30*, and you're done - then you can check the timing. You always set the dwell first, as it can affect the timing (timing doesn't affect the dwell). Feeler gauges will get you in the ball park (.019" for new points, .016" for used), but the dwell meter will put it right on the money. I've had mine for over 45 years; chrome-plated die-cast housing, glass lens on the meter - they don't make 'em like that any more.  :)
'69 Z/28
Fathom Green
CRG

bertfam

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2012, 04:32:16 PM »
And here's mine. A Sears Penski Automotive Analyzer. My father purchased this for me when I got my first car back in the early 70's. He paid $99.99 plus tax. NOT cheap! And like John's, it still works perfectly.

Ed

Gramps69Z

• 69 X33 D80
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2012, 06:18:14 PM »
Ed, I have a MAC  ET985 which is very similar to the Sears.  You might have the first one with an inductive clip.
 I'm glad you kept the box.
Captain John Wykoff
Destin Fire:   October 31, 2015 at 0700--Officially Retired

bertfam

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2012, 06:24:51 PM »
My father also got me a Sears Penske timing light, and up until a year ago, it was working perfectly. Unfortunatly, it came out second best in a fight with the fan blades!

Ed

Gramps69Z

• 69 X33 D80
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2012, 07:51:43 PM »
My father also got me a Sears Penske timing light, and up until a year ago, it was working perfectly. Unfortunatly, it came out second best in a fight with the fan blades!

Ed

Been there done that a few times.  ;D
Captain John Wykoff
Destin Fire:   October 31, 2015 at 0700--Officially Retired

tmodel66

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2012, 09:08:58 PM »

Ed

Been there done that a few times.  ;D

So that's where the "CAUTION FAN" sticker started !!   ;D   ::) Right?
Daniel  
'69 SS 350/4 speed  Fathom Green--POP

srode

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2012, 11:59:57 PM »
And here's mine. A Sears Penski Automotive Analyzer. My father purchased this for me when I got my first car back in the early 70's. He paid $99.99 plus tax. NOT cheap! And like John's, it still works perfectly.

Ed

That's the same meter I have!!! 
Steve - 02D Z11 and a Plain Jane hardtop

canadair

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2012, 01:36:52 PM »
For those who have the old timing lights if you want to protect them from the fan and get better light on the timing mark cut a piece of old radiator hose and fit a 3'' inch piece on the end, and I still have my heathkit analyzer.

adjudimo

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2012, 06:53:36 PM »
John Z, I got a kick out of seeing your meter. I have one exactly like it and it too still works. Man, our age is start'en to show :)

anything