Author Topic: Ground Strap Question  (Read 43123 times)

big iron

• View Profile
Re: Ground Strap Question
« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2012, 09:34:03 PM »
Steve,
There are only 2 revisions shown for this radio ground strap. The first is in the 67 AIM 3-30-66 showing the installation of the strap with existing holes (which I do believe existed) and the 68 AIM 2-28-68 that should have shown detailed  piercing holes required for the installation of the strap. The 69 AIM is just a detailed carry-over of the 67AIM view.
Bob

jk1969z28

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2012, 09:48:47 PM »
These pictures are from my 1969 Z/28, late June build.  First picture is of the strap still attached and the second is of the hole on the frame.  Hope this helps some.  Also on Ken Lucas's site you can see it here https://picasaweb.google.com/LucasRestorations/SteveKate69Z281#5253878278198530850

Jerry K.

srode

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2012, 10:16:11 PM »
Thanks Jerry, now I know where it's supposed to go when installed, very helpful.  What remains a bit of a mystery is what appears to be some 69 v8s have this strap and some do not.  There are no holes in my Z11 frame or inner fender in either of those locations, but there is one in the frame of my 69 hard top.
Steve - 02D Z11 and a Plain Jane hardtop

big iron

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 08, 2012, 11:43:06 PM »
Steve,
What about the  fenderwell on the hardtop?

tmodel66

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 08, 2012, 11:46:34 PM »
What I have seen 1969 V8's is four straps. Two straps from firewall to each valve cover. The third  from firewall to subframe passenger side (below heater box). The fourth is from the inner fender to the subframe on passenger side forward, just below the battery area.

This set up is what's on my car as well. First week July (07A) built car.
Daniel  
'69 SS 350/4 speed  Fathom Green--POP

JohnZ

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 08, 2012, 11:53:28 PM »
My untouched 02D '69 Norwood car doesn't have that fourth ground strap, and never did - no holes either in the subframe or the inner fender; both holes were to be drilled at assembly.
'69 Z/28
Fathom Green
CRG

big iron

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 09, 2012, 12:03:10 AM »
Is it possible they just missed the strap when your build was assembled?
My untouched 02D '69 Norwood car doesn't have that fourth ground strap, and never did - no holes either in the subframe or the inner fender; both holes were to be drilled at assembly.

big iron

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 09, 2012, 12:12:15 AM »
Steve Shauger,
Hate to put you on the spot but was Ed's post above accurate to the best of your knowledge? Reply 9.
What do you see on 67's and 68's?
What I have seen 1969 V8's is four straps. Two straps from firewall to each valve cover. The third  from firewall to subframe passenger side (below heater box). The fourth is from the inner fender to the subframe on passenger side forward, just below the battery area.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2012, 12:52:10 AM by big iron »

Steve Shauger

• View Profile
    • Vintage Certification
« Reply #23 on: January 09, 2012, 12:43:41 AM »
Steve,
What about the  fenderwell on the hardtop?

This is a lousy pic of the strap on my 9A of 69 Z28.
Steve Shauger
Vintage Certification™ Program, Providing Recognition And Status To Unrestored Vehicles.  The Supercar Registry-www.yenko.net-

srode

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 09, 2012, 12:45:55 AM »
It appears to me to be a mix with some 69 V8s having and some not having the 4th strap.  Perhaps they all were supposed to but some were missed?   My Z11 does not and did not ever because there are no holes, the hard top did have it.  There is not hole in the inner fender on the hard top car but that's because I replaced it and the fender with new ones from GM in the early 80s after a fender bender.  I remembered that when I was looking at the pictures posted above, and went out and looked and sure enough no splash apron and no holes on that inner fender for the staple but there are on the other side.  The repair is probably when the strap got removed.   There's a  shop near by with 4 or 5 Gen 1's  going through some type of restroation or impovement, I'll have to stop by some time and take a look at them and see how many have the strap or holes from where they were originally installed. 

big iron

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 09, 2012, 01:05:21 AM »
Steve,
Just being curious, did ether of your builds have the U73 rear antenna?

srode

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 09, 2012, 01:16:41 AM »
No, they both had front antennas Bob.  I don't think you could get a rear antenna on a Z11 because it had the spoiler?   The coupe didnn't come with much in the way of trim, no spoiler for sure, blue wheels and center hub caps were on it when I picked it up.  It did have the hocky stick D90 strip on it though!  :)

Steve Shauger

• View Profile
    • Vintage Certification
« Reply #27 on: January 09, 2012, 01:28:45 AM »
Steve Shauger,
Hate to put you on the spot but was Ed's post above accurate to the best of your knowledge? Reply 9.
What do you see on 67's and 68's?

This is Ed's post regarding 69 V8's:

"For 1969 V8 cars with U63/U69, there were three straps. Two on the valve covers going to the firewall (reference Sheet A6), and one going from the firewall to the subframe (reference Sheet A5, which references Sheet A7)."

I would add: a fourth strap from the innner fender to the frame has been found on most cars. It is located on the passenger side subframe just behind the bumper bracket. Refer to U63 sheet A7 lower right illustration. Also see my previous post with pic.

Regarding 67 & 68, it looks like there are no significant changes in the assembly manual from that of the 69.

Steve Shauger
Vintage Certification™ Program, Providing Recognition And Status To Unrestored Vehicles.  The Supercar Registry-www.yenko.net-

bertfam

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 09, 2012, 01:37:29 AM »
Yep. Sorry boys I got it wrong AGAIN!!! (Forgive me, I'm old...) I was reading the "Title" on Sheet A7 in all three of the AIM's incorrectly. It's "(Body to frame AND L-6 engine to body). I was reading it like sheet A7 applied to the L6 engines only. My mistake.

Here's the skinny:

1967 L6 - 2 straps. One on the valve cover to the firewall and one on the inner fender to the subframe.
1967 V8 - 3 straps. Two on the valve covers to the firewall and one on the firewall to the frame.

1968 L6 - 2 (or 3*) straps. One on the valve cover to the firewall and one on the firewall to the subframe. (*Note that the one on the inner fender to the subframe - view 2 on Sheet A7  - was removed at some point during the 1968 model year. The date of the note is 2-28-68, but it's not known exactly when this took effect.)
1968 V8 - 3 straps. Same as 1967 V8.

1969 L6 - 3 straps. One on the valve cover to the firewall, one on the firewall to the subframe and one on the inner fender to the subframe.
1969 V8 - 4 straps. Two on the valve covers to the firewall, one on the firewall to the subframe and one on the inner fender to the subframe.

Of course, this was according to the respective AIM's. What was really done on the assembly line could be another story!

Ed

big iron

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 09, 2012, 03:02:58 AM »
Ed,
Think you have a handle on it.
One last thought, I would think that there should have been an item added to the 69 AIM U63 A7 revision record to show the new view of the fenderwell to frame strap.
Bob