Author Topic: Vince Gimondo  (Read 2918 times)

oldtransamdriver

• View Profile
Vince Gimondo
« on: January 06, 2016, 03:13:24 AM »
Just learned that Vince passed Aug. 17, 2015, age 84.  Vince raced both Trans-Am and later IMSA GT, and won the
Paul Revere 250 at Daytona in 72.

Vince was a Korean army vet and operated his own welding and fabrication shop in FL.  I understand he built
his own cars.

Don't know if his camaro has survived.

RIP Vince

Robert

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
Re: Vince Gimondo
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2016, 02:47:47 PM »
I'm very sorry to hear that, Robert. My condolences to Vince's family. Thanks for letting us know. Vince was a very good and competitive driver. I know his '69 Camaro still survives but I don't know about the 2nd-Gen Camaro that he had. I know he had also raced a Corvette or two but I haven't followed those.
Jon Mello
CRG

Trans Åm

• CA Central valley
    • View Profile
Re: Vince Gimondo
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2016, 05:37:16 PM »
It's tough posting pictures found randomly on the internet, but a quick Google search of "Vince Gimondo camaro" brings A LOT of amazing photos up.

Not even sure if I'm allowed to do this, but getty has a photo of my favorite car/paint scheme of his: http://www.gettyimages.com/detail/news-photo/vince-gimondo-chuck-dietrich-drive-their-chevrolet-camaro-z-news-photo/155880095

Awesome looking car. Seen it in photos before but didn't know it was his. Racingsportscars says he raced into the late 80's. Awesome.
Nick