Author Topic: What rare part would you like to see a top quality reproduction produced?  (Read 30092 times)

camaronut

• View Profile
Re: What rare part would you like to see a top quality reproduction produced?
« Reply #45 on: January 17, 2012, 03:19:50 AM »
Ramjett54>>>>.
  Best of luck on your venture, you're probably starting to get the picture, there is a HUGE void.  And First Gen. are probably among the easiest to find parts for,,,,,,,just not good correct parts.
Yea what I am seeing Is not many happy customers that just keep buying junk because there are no options.
Cheap repro vs expensive NOS
The  question is, will car guys pay the price for top quality parts.
 Can you make a top quality quarter panel and sell it for a $1000
Can you make a top quality  walnut Steering wheel  and sell it for $500

Good point, but all these companies had to do was make them right in the first place.........

If it were my company making parts, why go through all the research in engineering, manufacturing, marketing.....and make total junk ??
The best example of this is the latest & greatest Rosewood Wheel.......great color, but way too grainy, and the shape of the rim is not even close.....
Makes no sense to me, but that's exactly what we have in repro parts.......for the most part, they are all junk.......
Now on the flip side......the closest to nos parts are from Classic Headquaters.....IMHO....

IZRSSS

« Reply #46 on: January 17, 2012, 05:00:15 AM »
Word from a judge; "Legend Class must have factory fasteners. Bow Tie Class is more forgiving. AMK has a lot of parts". This particular judge has been working on a manual for years. Doesn't know when it will be completed. I for one would pay big bucks for a book like that.

Ken Lucas has good things to say about AMK. He said a lot of their products are exactly correct. They are the best available that he's found. Hard to ague a statement like that from one of the best, if not the best in the business of restoring these cars.

Bottom line; if you can't find all the original fasteners for your car on eBay, swap meets, or the bone yard, there's AMK. At least until someone else comes along with a better product.

BlackoutSteve

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 17, 2012, 05:27:35 AM »
The  question is, will car guys pay the price for top quality parts.
 Can you make a top quality quarter panel and sell it for a $1000

Since when is a $1000 dollar 1/4 panel expensive? ..until you see the ill-fitting, thin, Chinese cheapie.

I bought an OER/Dynacorn tail panel for about $300. It didn't fit properly, but was made to fit well enough. ..and then the OER tail lights didn't fit in the OER/Dynacorn tail panel properly either. The reinforcing is placed all wrong and the tail lamps shape is bad too.
I had to spend a further $500 at the panel shop correcting this POS panel after it was fitted to my car and unfortunately, after it was painted.

Suddenly the oh-so-expensive USA made tail panel at HeartBeat City was an absolute bargain.
I almost hope that I get rear-ended, just to give me an excuse to remove that OER/Dynacorn crap off my car and replace it with quality.
Restoring my RHD 69 Jane in Melbourne, Australia.
http://www.usmuscle.com.au/Forum/showthread.php?t=2840

MyRed67

• SZZLN 67
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 17, 2012, 06:07:10 AM »
  I am doing a "Ground-up" resto on my 67, I have had to "massage" panels all the way.   Fortunately the tail-panel was in good shape, and I'm using good original Tail-light housings.  I had to replace both Quarter panels, my car had the mid-year indentations in the Door Jamb area, we improvised and cut the Door Jamb area out of the new 1/4 panel and spot welded it at the front edge of the fender.  Came out looking great, and the car still has the correct indentations.  But it caused a lot of extra work.
1967 Camaro  LOS  11A
Original Engine   Z - Tribute
Mike C.    NW - Illinois

JKZ27

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 17, 2012, 11:58:34 PM »
You know, I'd like to see fasteners made correctly but I think before anything else, I'd like to see someone make quality rubber products. My weatherstrips cracked up way too quickly. For any repro parts, I believe equal attention needs to be given to the construction (compounds, metalurgy, processes) as to the appearance. I bought too many nice looking, almost correct parts that didn't last, if they didn't break upon installation. My car gets used a lot and does not always get to stay in a garage.
Build em for cars to be driven 30,000+ miles rain, shine or snow!

John.
John
69 RS/SS Cortez Silver, L48 MC1
68 RS Ash/Ivy Gold 327EFI M20

tmodel66

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: January 18, 2012, 12:48:16 AM »
You know, I'd like to see fasteners made correctly but I think before anything else, I'd like to see someone make quality rubber products. My weatherstrips cracked up way too quickly. For any repro parts, I believe equal attention needs to be given to the construction (compounds, metalurgy, processes) as to the appearance. I bought too many nice looking, almost correct parts that didn't last, if they didn't break upon installation. My car gets used a lot and does not always get to stay in a garage.
Build em for cars to be driven 30,000+ miles rain, shine or snow!

John.

I'm with you on this one John. I have yet to get a "bolt on" reproduction part. Meaning nothing fits perfect, nothing is made with any quality. If they go to the trouble to reproduce why not go the little extra? Bolts are my least worry. Like Ed said earlier all bolts didn't come from one place and got mixed together so you'd really be hard pressed to get a perfect selection. But all the other parts that you use 1 piece as in door gasket are not worth putting on but what choice do we have.
Daniel  
'69 SS 350/4 speed  Fathom Green--POP

discobiscuit

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 18, 2012, 05:17:04 PM »
The fuse box/panel under the dash.  I've spent lots of time and money fixing up my Camaro and this is the first part that I have not been able to find.  Also...seats that are completed where all I have to do is take out my old ones and bolt in the new ones.

Sauron327

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 18, 2012, 05:54:32 PM »
The fuse box/panel under the dash.  I've spent lots of time and money fixing up my Camaro and this is the first part that I have not been able to find.  Also...seats that are completed where all I have to do is take out my old ones and bolt in the new ones.
With all the years, seat and color options this would not be cost effective. That's why parts are sold individually and building a car is left to the owner. Reupolstering is not difficult. And because shop prices vary by location, vendor prices would most likely be on the high side.

69Z28-RS

• owner since 4-Apr-1976
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: January 18, 2012, 05:58:27 PM »
someone above wrote:  
"Good point, but all these companies had to do was make them right in the first place........   If it were my company making parts, why go through all the research in engineering, manufacturing, marketing.....and make total junk ?? "

What makes you think that these reproduction *companies spent any $$ on engineering, manufacturing, marketing, etc?    All most of them did was *copy* an old GM part... without considering all the dimensional changes a part goes thru or any other 'engineering' criteria...

Someone else wrote:
"I'm with you on this one John. I have yet to get a "bolt on" reproduction part. Meaning nothing fits perfect, nothing is made with any quality. If they go to the trouble to reproduce why not go the little extra? "

... because all those *extras of engineering, testing, prototyping, proper manufacture, etc' is NOT a 'little extra'..  it's a LOT extra...  which is why they don't/can't do it....

The bottom line is that a good restorer is much better off to find 'decent original parts' and rework/restore them whenever possible and only use 'aftermarket/repro' parts when it's a necessity, and not becuase it's *easier/quicker/cheaper*....
09C 69Z28-RS, 72 B 720 cowl console rosewood tint
69 Corvette, '60 Corvette, '72 Corvette
90 ZR1 red/red #246, 90 ZR1 white/gray #2466
72 El Camino, '55-'56-'57 Nomads, '55-'57 B/A Sedan

BlackoutSteve

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: January 18, 2012, 10:01:08 PM »
The fuse box/panel under the dash.

AmericanAutoWire aka M.Parker aka Factory Fit make them for their looms, but they refuse to sell them separately.
I bought mine from them along with a bunch of unique to Camaro electrical connectors way back when they were willing to do better business and help me out.. Back when Skip worked there.. But they are far less co-operative these days it seems.
Saved me buying all new LHD dash engine and headlamp looms and chopping them up for RHD.
Thanks again Skip!!
Restoring my RHD 69 Jane in Melbourne, Australia.
http://www.usmuscle.com.au/Forum/showthread.php?t=2840

Sauron327

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: January 19, 2012, 12:13:05 PM »
Special order here: http://www.lectriclimited.com/repair_components.htm

joesauer

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: January 19, 2012, 05:30:13 PM »
Stop cable for passenger seat. 
1968 custom interior-seat emblem backing plates.
1968 non RS grill that fits.
1968 custom interior walnut grain center bezel (that does not use ill fitting contact paper).

What's your manufacturing capability going to be?  Cost big bucks to get the tooling & quality right.

x66 714

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: January 27, 2012, 10:08:18 PM »
How about Yellow Houndstooth/vinyl seat upholstery that's correct????....Joe
See America's First, Chevrolet

1968 Z/28 Corvette Bronze. Black Hounds Tooth. 02E Los Angeles born 3/13/1968 pnt OO. Purchased March 1976
1969 SS396 Yellow/Yellow 08E Norwood born 8/28/1969 pnt 76E. Purchased April 1981

Ramjett54

• Decatur Alabama
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: January 27, 2012, 10:17:05 PM »
Even the black and white stitching is not like the original, also the deluxe seat emblems are no longer being made 

rod396

• View Profile
I realize I am a few months late on this one, but as far as the repro parts issues, the body/glass weatherstrips are surely an area which has a tremendous influence on the overall finished product.
My experiences with repro weatherstrips go back 15 + years to my 55-57 Chevy era. The only thing you could do was adjust the door strikers in all the way, slam the heck out of the door, and let the car sit in the sun for a week. the same procedure had to be applied to a '63 Ford Falcon Sprint; the products I used were from the "best" manufacturers.
It seems that very little, if any has changed with the materials/manufacturing methods of these products.
Exterior trim quality also leaves a lot to be desired.
Dash pads, sheetmetal, the list could go on to pretty much cover the entire spectrum of what is available reproduction for these (and all other special interest vehicles for that matter).
I have long since "had it" with reading the same old cliches "made from factory tooling" (yeah, right, how did you get your hands on that, not to mention shipping the mega-ton stamping die all the way to china!), "official licensed XX product"; it sure does'nt show in your final product, or is it a reflection of the slave-like wages which do very little to influence  the Chinese workers' incentive to produce a quality product.
  For the past few years, I have been watching people pay exorbitant prices on ebay for N.O.S. parts that the final bid is 5, 10, sometimes 20 times that of the current available repro part.
This says a lot about the knowledge of the quality of the repro parts.
  The restoration hobby/industry is a bit more tightly-knitted than say, the discount auto parts store items many of us buy; major chain store repro water pumps, etc; if you have to hog out a bracket to make the thing fit, you probably will do just that; most people just want to keep their everyday A-to-B cars functioning, and will probably forget about the issues associated with the low-priced alternative parts.
But in this hobby, a lot of cars you see at the show have been put together by the owner present. People talk, as evidenced by this popular topic on this particular forum, for example.

I am not rich, but if someone (and that someone could be you) were to make, for example, wheel opening moldings, which were proven (by the end consumer, which would be a strong advertising point) to be identical in:
1.Fit
2.Quality of anodized finish
3.Material gauge of and same materials
All of these parameters are based on the original G.M. article.
  People would either be standing in line, or budgeting for your product at nearly TWICE the price of what is currently on the market, and you would be enjoying, because you earned it, a FAVORABLE REPUTATION, a status it seems that has been ditched in favor of the almighty buck, (China/Taiwan) at least for this particular industry.
  Follow the same principles to this and to the rest of whatever you produce, and keep it as proportionally price justifiable/affordable as possible and you can't go wrong.
  If you do follow-through with this venture, please, we certainly do not need any more (no names necessary) inferior parts manufacturers/suppliers/vendors.
  Personally, I have 2 1st gen Camaros that I have been collecting parts for, for over 7 years, either good/restorable/replatable OEM and NOS parts. Repro parts will be purchased as a last resort, based on my 55-57 and other experiences, and these will be items that will be installed near the end of the restoration, with hopes that by time this happens, there would have been a major change in the quality of repro parts.
Or, I am able to afford $1,300.00 for a pair of N.O.S. door weatherstrips.
Beacuse there sure isn't anything as good at this time.

My level of standards are not for everybody, but when you start talking about repro parts quality, again, it certainly generates a lot of interest.
Just my 2 cents.

anything