Author Topic: What rare part would you like to see a top quality reproduction produced?  (Read 30091 times)

69Z28freak

• View Profile
Re: What rare part would you like to see a top quality reproduction produced?
« Reply #30 on: January 13, 2012, 06:57:28 PM »
186 heads, modern technology, 100 fit and form of original.

http://www.castheads.com/disguise_work.php

Check it out.

-Mark.

Thanks Mark. Nice heads, but pricey
Mike 1969 Grandma Camaro

BlackoutSteve

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 13, 2012, 11:19:48 PM »
While people are airing stuff out, why hasn't anyone (namely Coker) designed a radial version of the original-looking tires?
Because you'd probably end up with radial tires that handle worse than bias..
Radial are shaped like they are because the sidewall is designed to flex and "roll" in turns. Bias theory was to have a stiff and rigid sidewall.
Radials with a corner on them simply won't work.

Kick panels, A pillar moldings, most sheetmetal, most/all exterior moldings.. There are way too many parts to just choose one.
I'd love OER to go out of business. After a rotisserie restoration, I so hate them and their lies of original quality and fit. Their quality control is non-existant.
Restoring my RHD 69 Jane in Melbourne, Australia.
http://www.usmuscle.com.au/Forum/showthread.php?t=2840

LM69Z28

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 14, 2012, 07:20:39 AM »
Dash pad, pillar posts and console with CORRECT shade, color code 723 dark midnight green. Correct diameter ribbed and properly stamped hoses including smog. Smog Tubes.  ZL/2 Air Cleaner assembly. All other parts mentioned and what ever else we missed!
Happy New Year
LM69Z28

69Z28freak

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 14, 2012, 11:49:16 PM »
While people are airing stuff out, why hasn't anyone (namely Coker) designed a radial version of the original-looking tires?
Because you'd probably end up with radial tires that handle worse than bias..
Radial are shaped like they are because the sidewall is designed to flex and "roll" in turns. Bias theory was to have a stiff and rigid sidewall.
Radials with a corner on them simply won't work.

Kick panels, A pillar moldings, most sheetmetal, most/all exterior moldings.. There are way too many parts to just choose one.
I'd love OER to go out of business. After a rotisserie restoration, I so hate them and their lies of original quality and fit. Their quality control is non-existant.

I agree
Mike 1969 Grandma Camaro

camaronut

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 15, 2012, 12:03:54 AM »
How about a nice repro rosewood steering wheel.
The stuff that's out there now absolutely sucks.....not even close. 
Heck, their not even close from 10 ft away.

I almost bought a GM one on eBay for over a grand, but slowly talked myself out of it.
They crack too easy.  A friend of mine got one for his Z....cracked one week later.
Can't depend on plastic parts that are 43 years old......

IZRSSS

« Reply #35 on: January 15, 2012, 05:32:35 PM »
I think a good start would be correct fasteners and headmarked bolts.

I'd have to 2nd & 3rd this one! Even a full size scale chart showing the correct fasteners, headmarked bolts, and AIM part numbers would be great!

BlackoutSteve

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 16, 2012, 01:50:37 AM »
I think a good start would be correct fasteners and headmarked bolts.

I'd have to 2nd & 3rd this one! Even a full size scale chart showing the correct fasteners, headmarked bolts, and AIM part numbers would be great!

I bet neither of you have an AMK catalog or have shopped there..
You will find bolts with marking and GM numbers from the FAIM that cross-check with theirs.
I've been shopping there for near 10 years. :)

www.amkproducts.com

IZRSSS

« Reply #37 on: January 16, 2012, 02:52:23 AM »
Yes…I do know about AMK and have been on their website on several occasions. But when I cross reference different part numbers the same pic pops up for each one. Then when I try to expand the pic it fails to do so and I don’t know what the heck I’m looking at or if it’s even the correct fastener. And, how does anyone know if it’s the correct fastener unless you the consumer had the correct fastener to begin with? Does a person simply trust what these guys say, make the purchase and move on? Nope not me, or I’ll have bin after bin of worthless parts I can’t use. I have seen what is out there and its hit and miss at best, with each and every one of them. In fact, most of the seasoned hobbyists I’ve talked to agree, the only real accurate source at the present time is the local bone yard or swap meets. Doesn’t leave much of an option does it?

As much information as there is out there for these cars, you would think someone would have come up with a book that describes each and every fastener (including pics) for all First Gens. Including how they correspond to the AIM / Fisher Body. And the same person who published the book also sells each and every fastener described in the book.

Oh well, it’s nice to dream...
« Last Edit: January 16, 2012, 03:11:11 AM by IZRSSS »

BlackoutSteve

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 16, 2012, 06:39:02 AM »
Unless you go on a serious mission and document the fasteners on non-restored originals, how are you going to know what fasteners are correct anyway?
AMK are pretty good from my experience.. I haven't restored a concours car, but what I have been supplied by them to replace my old rusty OE stuff, -theirs is practically indentical in most/all cases. Also, I did learn that they are supplied by many the OEMs that made the fasteners in the first place.
Many OE part numbers are simply not available and they won't simply default to an incorrect substitute. That will be up to you do if you want to.  :)

Maybe your not finding convincing results because you're relying on uploaded pics on their website.
I have noticed that they will upload a pic of a particular bolt in one finish only, that covers several different finishes of that bolt and part numbers.
For example. B-12586 and B-12587 are exactly the same bolt in S2 and S8 finish. But they share the same pic on the website.

Download their catalog and print it, or ask them to post you one, or request when you order.
Their printed catalogs are in B+W. Downloading and printing one will be in color.  ;)

I am yet to find another supplier that comes even remotely as close to what they have. Heather is just great to deal with too.  ;D

IZRSSS

« Reply #39 on: January 16, 2012, 02:17:24 PM »
Maybe I didn't look at this company close enough. Their pdf as you've stated shows good pics and they also cross reference the AIM. I'll copy their pdf and compare their fasteners to what I know is factory on the car and go from there.

68Zproject

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 16, 2012, 06:42:39 PM »
AMK is good for replacements, but not always correct for restoration.  They're about 90% on but some of the headmarks are incorrect and they do not have many of the bolts or fasteners I've needed in specific applications.
68Z28

IZRSSS

« Reply #41 on: January 16, 2012, 07:28:20 PM »
AMK is good for replacements, but not always correct for restoration.  They're about 90% on but some of the headmarks are incorrect and they do not have many of the bolts or fasteners I've needed in specific applications.

I've noticed the same exact thing. Although in my case it was <90%...I'll be getting information from guys who actually judge the high-end classes of the Camaro Nationals (Bow Tie Gold, Vintage, & Legend) with regards to their recommendations. If you'd like I can PM you the information once I have it.

My guess is you try to find as many factory and NOS pieces as possible and use companies like AMK to fill in the rest...

MyRed67

• SZZLN 67
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 17, 2012, 12:52:11 AM »
Ramjett54>>>>.
  Best of luck on your venture, you're probably starting to get the picture, there is a HUGE void.  And First Gen. are probably among the easiest to find parts for,,,,,,,just not good correct parts.
1967 Camaro  LOS  11A
Original Engine   Z - Tribute
Mike C.    NW - Illinois

Ramjett54

• Decatur Alabama
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 17, 2012, 01:24:37 AM »
Ramjett54>>>>.
  Best of luck on your venture, you're probably starting to get the picture, there is a HUGE void.  And First Gen. are probably among the easiest to find parts for,,,,,,,just not good correct parts.
Yea what I am seeing Is not many happy customers that just keep buying junk because there are no options.
Cheap repro vs expensive NOS
The  question is, will car guys pay the price for top quality parts.
 Can you make a top quality quarter panel and sell it for a $1000
Can you make a top quality  walnut Steering wheel  and sell it for $500

anything