Author Topic: What rare part would you like to see a top quality reproduction produced?  (Read 30094 times)

Ramjett54

• Decatur Alabama
    • View Profile
Re: What rare part would you like to see a top quality reproduction produced?
« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2012, 02:03:48 PM »
I have never seen a pebble grain steering wheel for sale as a reproduction part. I also like the idea of a better dash, I installed an OER and it looks and fits okay but could be better. Some folks have also mentioned weatherstripping, although it's been slowly getting better over the last few years, still there are no factory perfect reproductions available.
I just replaced my cracked brittle oem door channel seals with Soft Seal brand, I now have a huge air gap caused by an inexplicable flat area that does not come close to sealing off to the glass. POS
Wish I had my cracked brittle OEM seal back :-\

MyRed67

• SZZLN 67
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2012, 08:35:55 PM »
  I'm in the middle of re-upholstering my Bucket Seats on my 67 Coupe.  Not finding the Pass. seat back stop cable anywhere.  Also not finding the plastic protector washer that goes between seat hinge and the seat cover at the pivot point.
1967 Camaro  LOS  11A
Original Engine   Z - Tribute
Mike C.    NW - Illinois

Kelley W King

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 06, 2012, 09:23:22 PM »
Ordered some spark plug wire holders (the plastic part) and missed placed them. Went to Auto Zone to get something temporary. Got home and found the repops and they were the same thing. Also ordered some vent window locks for my GTO and the wrapper said 66-67 Chevelle. No wonder repops don,t fit.
69 Z28 RS Scuncio Hi Performance
69 SS L78
67 SS Chevelle
64 Corvette
66 GTO Tiger Gold
77 Trans Am Special Edition

Petes L48

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 06, 2012, 10:41:06 PM »
The small end pieces for the top trim on a fold down seat, but I doubt there's much demand.  Also air cleaner housing decals with the correct part number for K19 or K24 equipped cars.

MyRed67

• SZZLN 67
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 09, 2012, 02:26:40 AM »
Early TH350 Kickdown cable, it seems mounted different 69 -70 to the intake.
1967 Camaro  LOS  11A
Mike C.    NW - Illinois

69Z28freak

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 09, 2012, 04:02:56 AM »
186 heads, modern technology, 100 fit and form of original.
Mike 1969 Grandma Camaro

69z28302

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 09, 2012, 05:57:13 AM »
All of the above . And Bumpers and Bumper Guards, 69 voltage regulator and Horn Relay.

MyRed67

• SZZLN 67
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 09, 2012, 06:16:58 AM »
Oh, I forgot, been looking forever for the J-nut for the rear Bolt in my Front Bumper Brackets.  I have an "early" production '67 Sub-frame that doesn't have the Tie-Down holes.
1967 Camaro  LOS  11A
Mike C.    NW - Illinois

Stingr69

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 09, 2012, 08:42:04 AM »
186 heads, modern technology, 100 fit and form of original.

http://www.castheads.com/disguise_work.php

Check it out.

-Mark.

rsr

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 09, 2012, 12:56:46 PM »
 I'd hope to see a Endura bumper that fits and doesn't cost 2k along with rosewood steering wheels that look correct and don't crack. Almost every part made needs to be improved.

sdkar

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 09, 2012, 05:58:00 PM »
Steering wheel centers that have both correct wood grain and more importantly, correct silver mylar trim and NOT just grey paint.  This may also include the gauge bezels as well as they are supposed to be silver trimmed but the repros I have seen simply use grey paint. 

Another item that comes to mind are wheel well moldings.  The NOS stuff is insane in price (that is if you can even find them) and the repro stuff just plain does not fit properly and looks horrible and breaks too easily.  If you have the correct tooling, these things can't be that expensive to make per piece but would sell for a good sum.  I had to pay over $400 for a decent set, had to put together a full set by dealing with two sellers and still only have three new ones that had the packaging trashed and the items scratched to heck, but at least were new and could be polished out and the fourth one is a used OE part that needs cleaning and buffing.  The sad thing is, I was happy to pay this money and go through the trouble to get these items as the alternative was repro (which isn't really an option), or not have them at all.  I bought a NOS set from Ricks back in 2002 and paid $150 for a complete set of 4 GM ones brand new.  Those days are gone. 

I am sure the list can be extensive and I find it amazing that after over 40 years of technology and know how, we still can not produce car parts as well as they did in the 60's. 

69z28302

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 09, 2012, 11:13:36 PM »
 I am sure the list can be extensive and I find it amazing that after over 40 years of technology and know how, we still can not produce car parts as well as they did in the 60's. 

I agree. To me the sheet metal still has to have a big improvement to be correct

jdv69z

• 69 RS Z/28 52E
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 10, 2012, 04:35:18 PM »
Asked this question once myself regarding re-production sheet metal. John Z the explained what was involved in a typical press setup to make these sheet metal parts. A Part would run thru like 6 presses from start to finish. Then you also have the cost of the dies themselves. The only way to make this type of setup economical is to be making a ton of parts, like 200,000. Which is what GM was doing back then.

Jimmy V.
Jimmy V.

Ramjett54

• Decatur Alabama
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 10, 2012, 05:06:21 PM »
Asked this question once myself regarding re-production sheet metal. John Z the explained what was involved in a typical press setup to make these sheet metal parts. A Part would run thru like 6 presses from start to finish. Then you also have the cost of the dies themselves. The only way to make this type of setup economical is to be making a ton of parts, like 200,000. Which is what GM was doing back then.

Jimmy V.
Yes that was based on the oem cost of sheet metal, a line of quality built metal to compete with NOS quality and pricing might be a different story, all NOS parts prices continue to climb and in a lot of cases are extinct. NOS quarters are now $1500 to $2000 each, just something to consider

TODD

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 11, 2012, 01:48:05 PM »
All the above and a reproduction smog pulley, insanely high for an original and the repos are not even close to the gage and stampings

anything