Author Topic: Restoring a dried out dash pad  (Read 3132 times)

kid

• View Profile
    • Haunter's Nation
Restoring a dried out dash pad
« on: January 02, 2012, 10:35:01 PM »
The dash pad on my car is in excellent shape. It has no cracks, the color is good, and even the screw holes on the edges are perfect. The only problem is, it's very dried out, and will crack eventually. What's the best way to bring back the flexibility? I plan on re dying the entire interior. Will this help? If not, should i treat the pad after dying or before?

IZRSSS

Re: Restoring a dried out dash pad
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2012, 11:06:12 PM »

lakeholme

• 68-12D L30/M35
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2012, 11:47:52 PM »
If you are going to re-dye the pad, I'd wait until after, since you need to clean it before you dye it.  But I guess my question before you dye it is how dry is it?  If it really is very dried out, then it may crack during the dying process.  
As far as preservation of car vinyl, interior or exterior, it seems like the verdict is still out as to the best product.  What you need to promote is the breathability of the pad, so don't use one of the oily (shiny) products.  One of the 303 products might work the best.  They promote breathability and give UV protection.  
« Last Edit: January 03, 2012, 12:44:59 AM by lakeholme »
Phillip, HNR & NCR-AACA, Senior Master, Team Captain, Admin.,
Spring Southeastern Nationals chair, AACA National Director

kid

• View Profile
    • Haunter's Nation
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2012, 01:04:34 AM »
The material is stiff, but still flexible. I've used some leather treatments in the past that required a lot of pressure to rub them in. I don't think it would be good to go that route, but maybe something I could spray on and let it soak.
I'll definitely dye it first. I guess I can wait to see how it feels afterwords. I'm not even close to reassembly yet.

lakeholme

• 68-12D L30/M35
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2012, 02:03:23 AM »
Sounds like a plan. With 303 or similar products you spray it till it's good and wet, then wipe it dry.
Phillip, HNR & NCR-AACA, Senior Master, Team Captain, Admin.,
Spring Southeastern Nationals chair, AACA National Director