Author Topic: Photo Gallery for A/Sedan and A-B/Production cars  (Read 101083 times)

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
Photo Gallery for A/Sedan and A-B/Production cars
« on: January 02, 2012, 06:31:44 AM »
Since there has been interest expressed in this and I have quite a few photos courtesy from Ron Lathrop and Jerry Melton (so far), I have decided to start a photo gallery for cars that ran in the SCCA A/Sedan, A/Production and B/Production classes. You might even see some Chevy-powered sports racing cars in here. There were far fewer Trans-Am races run each year than these types of races so there are more of these kinds of photos out there.

A/Sedan cars = Camaros, Mustangs (except Shelby GT350 and GT500), Falcons, Barracudas, Darts, Javelins, Firebirds, etc. Basically American ponycars.

A/Production cars = Big block Corvettes, 427 Cobras, and big-inch AMXs.

B/Production cars = Small block Corvettes, 289 Cobras and Shelby GT350 Mustangs.

There are a number of cars that did run in both Trans-Am and A/Sedan so photos from these races can be helpful when researching a particular car. This is another reason for starting this thread.
Jon Mello
CRG

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
Re: Photo Gallery for A/Sedan and A-B/Production cars
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2012, 06:49:28 AM »
1969 Waterford Hills: Bill Petree's white '69 Camaro behind the two early Mustangs. Then we see the Challenger III Falcon (which can also
be seen in the '69 Wolverine Trans-Am thread under the RAM Regional event) with a couple of early Camaros and others in hot pursuit.

Photo by Jerry Melton

1969 Waterford Hills: Bob McClure's big block Corvette gets off-course. Bob was one of Don Yenko's best friends. I see a Camaro in the background too.

Photo by Jerry Melton

1969 Waterford Hills: Two B/Production cars, Corvette vs Shelby GT350.

Photo by Jerry Melton

1969 Waterford Hills Driving School: This is the famed "Purple People Eater III" Corvette prepared by Nickey Chevrolet and Ronnie Kaplan
for Jim Jeffords to drive. It dominated every race it ran back in '59 when it was new but this is 10 years after its prime.

Photo by Jerry Melton

1969 Waterford Hills Driving School: Another shot of the same car.

Photo by Jerry Melton
« Last Edit: January 10, 2012, 01:47:11 AM by Jon Mello »
Jon Mello
CRG

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2012, 07:50:49 AM »
1967 Mid-Ohio: Bill Petree's Corvette leads Bob Johnson's Falcon.

Photo by Jerry Melton

1967 Mid-Ohio: John Lecher's Corvette in pursuit of a GT350.

Photo by Jerry Melton

1967 Mid-Ohio: Rear view of Lecher's Corvette

Photo by Jerry Melton

1967 Mid-Ohio: Dwight Knupp's Barracuda

Photo by Jerry Melton

1967 Mid-Ohio: Bob Johnson's Falcon. Bob drove a Camaro for Roger Penske later in 1967.

Photo by Jerry Melton

1967 Mid-Ohio: Bob Bienerth's Corvette. Bob raced a '68 Camaro in Trans-Am in the early '70s.

Photo by Jerry Melton

1967 Mid-Ohio: Bob Johnson has the Falcon in a nice drift through the turn.

Photo by Jerry Melton

1967 Mid-Ohio: Bill Petree's Corvette.

Photo by Jerry Melton
Jon Mello
CRG

wrongwayron

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2012, 09:56:27 AM »
Oh, boy!More Melton photos! Love 'em

kiwiboss

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2012, 02:47:35 AM »
Wow, luv the Bob Johnson Falcon, does anyone know if it still exist?

Dale Mathers(NZL)

beighes

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2012, 10:35:06 PM »
A few of my ever colour changing archives:

1) Sears Point Enduro Regional, November '76 or '77 (I need to look that up).  Bill Maier/Mustang, John Treder/Camaro, Mike Nagle/Camaro smoking from caving in the LR fender with the T11 tyre wall.  Nagle had issue with brain fade.  Maier went on to break.  We won.
2) T9 at Laguna.  Lew Larimer passing Don Rettig / Camaro.  Originally built by Paul Traver, sold to Rettig, through my hands, to Ron Tredway.  Current whereabouts unknown.

Cheers,
Steve
I can draw a mouse with a pencil, but I can't draw a pencil with a mouse!

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2012, 04:28:17 AM »
Steve, thanks a lot for posting those. I've got much more in the works but am trying to figure out the drivers.

Dale, I have no idea about the Falcon but it would be neat if it was still around.
Jon Mello
CRG

OCTARD

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2012, 05:58:32 AM »

2) T9 at Laguna.  Lew Larimer passing Don Rettig / Camaro.  Originally built by Paul Traver, sold to Rettig, through my hands, to Ron Tredway.  Current whereabouts unknown.

This from Ron Tredway on the Rettig (previously Traver) Camaro being passed by the Larimer 'Vette:

"I had it from approximately 1988-1990, and sold to Steve Dold, who sold to someone in Chicago area.  The car had a dragster like roll hoop over the driver.  Easy to identify!"

beighes

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2012, 06:35:42 AM »
The roll hoop in the Camaro looked as it was taken out of the "How to build a Trans-Am Mustang book".  Two sets of rear diagonals, one in typical placement from the upper 'corners' to the rear of the chassis.  The other set from about midway up the main hoop, down to the rear subframe kick-up.  Rumored to be a weak spot on a Mustang, realy not needed in a Camaro.  It was,also, the largest diametre main hoop ever seen! I had the Green Beast from about 1982 until Ron bought it.  I was partially incorrect, Traver bought the car with some/most of the main cage in it.  He just finished it.
I can draw a mouse with a pencil, but I can't draw a pencil with a mouse!

JoeC

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2012, 05:02:20 PM »
One thing interesting about SCCA B/P 1965 The Shelby GT 350's were very quick beating the Corvettes that owned B/P for many years
Mark Donohue in a blue GT 350 won the SCCA B-Production Championship in 1965

OCTARD

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2012, 06:03:27 PM »
Hello JoeC,

Mark did lead the 1965 ARRC, but the winner of the race, and the 1965 SCCA B-Product National Championship, was Jerry Titus (also in an R-Model Shelby). 

Mark had a right rear tire burst on the 18th lap of the race.  Mark and the team noted that they were trying to use a larger rear tire than the wheel wells and leaf springs would allow. 

-Chad

JoeC

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2012, 07:56:28 PM »
yes sorry , I remember Mark beat Don Yenko but was the Divisional SCCA Championship B/P 1965 not the National

The race is on youtube but not very clear and it is labed 1964 but I believe its 1965
From what I can find ...........
Don Yenko ran his special built 1957 Corvette B/P car (white/blue stripe). He was the 1962-63 B/P National Champion so the 1965 Shelby 350 GT was his archenemy.

There were 16 cars in the 1965 B/P Runoff but they ran same race with the A/P cars
10 Shelby GT350s, 3 Sunbeam Tigers, 2 Jags, and one Corvette (Don Yenko's 1957 Fuelie)

Don Yenko finished 3rd in B/P with failing brakes (amazing run)

Mark Donahue, in the dark color GT 350 qualified 2nd overall. Out qualified all but 1 Cobra (A/P) then had blown head gasket slow him and then a flat tire. (Mark had an amazing qualifing run)

Jerry Titus won the B/P race in a GT350 and the Championship

The SCCA B/P and A/P battles seemed to carry over to Trans Am 1967
here is the race

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AsL_W7I5OlA

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2012, 12:51:45 AM »
Waterford Hills 1969, Bob McClure's Corvette.

Photo by Jerry Melton

Waterford Hills 1969, Bob Najmowicz Corvette from Detroit, MI.

Photo by Jerry Melton

Waterford Hills 1969, Bob Najmowicz's Corvette.

Photo by Jerry Melton

Waterford Hills 1969, I believe this is John Greenwood's Corvette.

Photo by Jerry Melton

Waterford Hills 1969, Greenwood's Corvette again.

Photo by Jerry Melton
Jon Mello
CRG

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2012, 04:01:47 AM »
Waterford Hills 1968 Regional event. We've got some Yenko Stinger fans here. Any of you know whose car this is?

Photo by Jerry Melton

UPDATE (courtesy of Craig Wheeldon): "That Stinger looks to be VIN 101375W291539, Yenko Stinger # YS121 driven by
John Dirnbauer. The car was originally owned by Tony DeLorenzo , who drove it in Trans Am and A Sedan races while he
owned it in 1965 - 66, then it was converted to a stage III Stinger in 1967. The current owner is Dave Edsinger. This info
came from Charlie Doerge's new book "Don Yenko and the Yenko Stinger".
« Last Edit: January 27, 2012, 03:14:29 AM by Jon Mello »
Jon Mello
CRG

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2012, 07:02:51 PM »
Waterford Hills 1969, Erich Aichner (not sure about the spelling) in a  '68 Z28 chasing some others, including a possible Yenko Stinger.

Photo by Jerry Melton
« Last Edit: January 09, 2012, 04:14:02 PM by Jon Mello »
Jon Mello
CRG