Author Topic: Small block dipstick details  (Read 8039 times)

Flowjoe

• View Profile
Small block dipstick details
« on: November 04, 2005, 02:59:41 AM »
Hello all.  Help me out here.  My friend just got the small block back from the engine builder last week.  Today we started going over everything we need to pull together before installing.  The upper dipstick tube and stick are off the car as is the lower tube.  I've never had a block (other than a Pontiac) where the lower tube had been removed.

Is the correct proceedure to insert the lower tube through the block (outside to inside, taping it down into the hole until it seats) or is there a better way?  The tube fits nicely until the flare reaches the machined surface of the block, and then it appears to be a very tight fit. 

Any insight appreciated.

Joe

DougD

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Small block dipstick details
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2005, 03:01:06 AM »
Hello all. Help me out here. My friend just got the small block back from the engine builder last week. Today we started going over everything we need to pull together before installing. The upper dipstick tube and stick are off the car as is the lower tube. I've never had a block (other than a Pontiac) where the lower tube had been removed.

Is the correct proceedure to insert the lower tube through the block (outside to inside, taping it down into the hole until it seats) or is there a better way? The tube fits nicely until the flare reaches the machined surface of the block, and then it appears to be a very tight fit.

Any insight appreciated.

Joe

That's all it takes.

Flowjoe

• View Profile
Re: Small block dipstick details
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2005, 03:04:41 AM »
Thanks Doug,
Just wanted to be certain before we "swedged" the tube into an irretrievable space.  Certainly less complicated than a Pontiac which has three pieces, curves and attaches to the windage tray.

anything