Author Topic: Correct Horn Fasteners  (Read 14395 times)

sixt9x33rs

• View Profile
Correct Horn Fasteners
« on: December 24, 2011, 03:43:42 AM »
The AIM is not real clear (to me anyway) regarding the type of fastener used to hold the horn to the latch assembly. I went with the 9780422 fastener as shown in the AMK catalog. This fastener is widely used on the radiator support and elsewhere regarding sheetmetal. But while scavaging the junk yard yesterday I ran across two Impalas, one a 67 and one a 68. Both examples were very much in tact. I noticed that both fasteners holding the horns to the car were 9/16" AF with a captured washer with small serrations on the inside of the washer. These fasteners were zinc or cadmium covered not black phosphate like the 9780422 fastener. The zinc fastener has the pointed end like the previous mentioned fastener and was also .75"...I think. Anyway if someone knows the correct fastener I would like to see a picture.

Thanks,

Lawrence
'69 RS Z/28 65B, 711 Flat hood no spoiler, endura, 4:10 43K miles
69 X77 Z/28 69 69 711 Original Paint Unrestored (Sold)
'69 X66 Convertible 69B 712 auto, (Sold) 44K miles

KevinW

• View Profile
Re: Correct Horn Fasteners
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2011, 01:58:27 PM »
I am pretty sure the serrated ones are correct for 69 at least.  The horn grounds through that bolt and the serrations had to bite past the paint to bare metal.

Mike S

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2011, 02:46:17 PM »

Hello,

I checked mine on a 67 LOS (original) and NOR (restored) horn assemblies and they both use the pointed cad plated serrated fasteners. That is for 67 though and I would assume that would follow through to 69 and beyond being a horn is a safety item which I believe is the reason they are plated and serrated.

Merry Christmas!
Mike
67 04B LOS SS/RS L35 Hardtop - Original w/UOIT
67 05B NOR SS/RS L35 Convertible - Restored

sixt9x33rs

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2011, 04:40:38 PM »
Thanks guys!

Merry Christmas

Lawrence

m22mike

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2011, 08:42:33 PM »
Lawrence
 I believe your observation on the 67 and 68 cars is spot on. I believe the zinc plated horn bolts were superceded to dark phosphate around the early run of  69 Cheverolets. That has just been my observation from looking at unmolested cars.
Most 69's hand very few zinc plated fasteners under the hood. Exceptions being some of the sheetmetal screws like VR, horn relay, ground straps, and washer bottle bracket hold down screws.
 I am not at home now and can not give you the page #'s and PN's now. But in my two coppies of the 69 Camaro Assembly manual where it shows one of the horns and bolt detail, there is a revision to that bolt, dated I believe 10/68. In the lower revision box on that page it states the # of the zinc fastener and the word "Was". I believe on Camaros they started using the same dark phosphate bolt that holds the lower hood latch to the core support and header. Not serated, and with a captured washer.
 I had asked Steve Shauger this same question awhile back concerning horn bolts on 69 Camaros. I believe he told me that he had seen Zinc horn bolts on some early 69's only.
 Always take the time to soak in all the detail stuff on unrestored cars, not just Camaros.

Mike
X66 L78 M22 4.10 Deluxe Threads, PNT 10/10, Red Hockey stripe

JohnZ

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2011, 06:36:47 PM »
But in my two coppies of the 69 Camaro Assembly manual where it shows one of the horns and bolt detail, there is a revision to that bolt, dated I believe 10/68. In the lower revision box on that page it states the # of the zinc fastener and the word "Was". I believe on Camaros they started using the same dark phosphate bolt that holds the lower hood latch to the core support and header. Not serated, and with a captured washer.

That's correct - my original 02D car has the same bolts on the horns that attach the hood latch to the front of the radiator support.
'69 Z/28
Fathom Green
CRG

sixt9x33rs

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2011, 09:56:18 PM »
But in my two coppies of the 69 Camaro Assembly manual where it shows one of the horns and bolt detail, there is a revision to that bolt, dated I believe 10/68. In the lower revision box on that page it states the # of the zinc fastener and the word "Was". I believe on Camaros they started using the same dark phosphate bolt that holds the lower hood latch to the core support and header. Not serated, and with a captured washer.
John aren't the Fasteners that hold the hood latch assembly to the radiator support all the same? All four Fasteners are the same right?
That's correct - my original 02D car has the same bolts on the horns that attach the hood latch to the front of the radiator support.

Steve Shauger

• View Profile
    • Vintage Certification
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2012, 08:47:41 PM »
Lawrence
 I believe your observation on the 67 and 68 cars is spot on. I believe the zinc plated horn bolts were superceded to dark phosphate around the early run of  69 Cheverolets. That has just been my observation from looking at unmolested cars.
Most 69's hand very few zinc plated fasteners under the hood. Exceptions being some of the sheetmetal screws like VR, horn relay, ground straps, and washer bottle bracket hold down screws.
 I am not at home now and can not give you the page #'s and PN's now. But in my two coppies of the 69 Camaro Assembly manual where it shows one of the horns and bolt detail, there is a revision to that bolt, dated I believe 10/68. In the lower revision box on that page it states the # of the zinc fastener and the word "Was". I believe on Camaros they started using the same dark phosphate bolt that holds the lower hood latch to the core support and header. Not serated, and with a captured washer.
 I had asked Steve Shauger this same question awhile back concerning horn bolts on 69 Camaros. I believe he told me that he had seen Zinc horn bolts on some early 69's only.
 Always take the time to soak in all the detail stuff on unrestored cars, not just Camaros.

Mike

Hey Mike, I just inspected a 10C of 68 car and it had the zinc plated horn bolts with serated washer.
Steve Shauger
Vintage Certification™ Program, Providing Recognition And Status To Unrestored Vehicles.  The Supercar Registry-www.yenko.net-

m22mike

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2012, 12:09:26 AM »
That's neat, thanks Steve.

Mike
X66 L78 M22 4.10 Deluxe Threads, PNT 10/10, Red Hockey stripe

JohnZ

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2012, 04:31:46 PM »
John aren't the Fasteners that hold the hood latch assembly to the radiator support all the same? All four Fasteners are the same right?

All of the hood latch support bolts are #3960314, including the bolt for the R.H. horn; the L.H. horn used #3846202. All are black phosphate.
'69 Z/28
Fathom Green
CRG

Steve Shauger

• View Profile
    • Vintage Certification
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2012, 02:19:31 AM »

All of the hood latch support bolts are #3960314, including the bolt for the R.H. horn; the L.H. horn used #3846202. All are black phosphate.

I respectfully disagree, because I have 5 documented cars (4 unrestored and one needing restoration), all produced from 9B to 10C (of 68) that were built with the horns secured with zinc plated bolts with serrated washers. My point to Mike was that 10c is the lastest built car I have found . Just an FYI, but all examples were built at Norwood.
Steve Shauger
Vintage Certification™ Program, Providing Recognition And Status To Unrestored Vehicles.  The Supercar Registry-www.yenko.net-

68camaroz28

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2012, 03:26:14 AM »
This is one of the horn bolts on our 01B 68 Camaro and it is zinc.

Chick
68 Z/28 NOR 01B Orig motor/trans/rear
69 Z/28 NOR 07A Orig Block & GM Cross-ram/carbs
69 L34 Rest. Nova Father/Son Car
69 L78 Surv Nova Purch 4/69 31K miles
67 L89 Corv Tribute
68 Corv 427/400 Orig motor
07 Corv Z06
R 68Z build- http://www.camaros.net/forums/showthread.php?t=182584

Steve Shauger

• View Profile
    • Vintage Certification
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2012, 03:53:34 AM »
Chick, that is what I have seen on the examples I referenced in my previous post. The head marking is typical of what I have seen on the zinc bolts. Thanks for posting.
Steve Shauger

IZRSSS

« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2012, 03:17:14 PM »
Steve/Chick - Is this the same horn fastener that was used for 69's or at least early build 69's? This is the same one I have on mine.

69Z28-RS

• owner since 4-Apr-1976
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2012, 05:43:19 PM »
I've been following these threads on fasteners pretty carefully because my original '69 Z28/RS (late 09C build) was apparently in a minor front end fender bender early in it's life (not the greatest repair, as I believe all the original fasteners were put back on, but not *necessarily* in the same locations they came from... :)    I know it was in an accident because when I purchased it in '76, the lower valence had a GM pn sticker on it's backside, and there's a small amount of fbody iller in the front portion of the hood.   It's difficult for any of us to know (unless we owned our cars from new) and even then we might have even *forgotten* about minor repairs performed 40 yrs ago... so going by what is on our cars is not as *robust* a method as what the AIM shows...
09C 69Z28-RS, 72 B 720 cowl console rosewood tint
69 Corvette, '60 Corvette, '72 Corvette
90 ZR1 red/red #246, 90 ZR1 white/gray #2466
72 El Camino, '55-'56-'57 Nomads, '55-'57 B/A Sedan

anything