Author Topic: 68 Camaro clucth and clutch assembly housing  (Read 4268 times)

scoop

• View Profile
68 Camaro clucth and clutch assembly housing
« on: December 22, 2011, 07:02:25 PM »
Can someone tell me the correct finish on my 68 Z28 brake and clutch assembly housing? I removed it and it was painted black. I do not believe it was ever removed before but not sure because I have seen others that were natural like the parking brake assembly. The pedals are natural finish except where they were dipped black up close to the housing.  I have some in natural finish, some  painted black,  and seen them painted silver for a restoration. I want to take this car to the Camaro Nationals so I want it to be correct. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for every one on this site as I have received a wealth of information.

john302

• View Profile
Re: 68 Camaro clucth and clutch assembly housing
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2011, 05:33:49 AM »
Semi gloss to flat black. Did alot of research on this and it seems like the early car are black and later cars are bare . Just getting done with a three year resto on a 12d fathom blue 68 z. The bracket is black. Maybe Chick will chime in he is restoring a early car also. John

scoop

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2011, 02:34:08 PM »
Thank You.  My car is an 04B build. Is it still right for my car then?

68camaroz28

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2011, 04:21:59 AM »
Semi gloss to flat black. Did alot of research on this and it seems like the early car are black and later cars are bare . Just getting done with a three year resto on a 12d fathom blue 68 z. The bracket is black. Maybe Chick will chime in he is restoring a early car also. John
Scoop, our car (01B Nor) had the assembly in question painted but ours is for sure two shades of black as John listed. The clutch and brake pedal brackets are what I would say is the 30% gloss black (satin shade or what John listed as flat) but the main housing bracket they assemble in has more shine which seems to be like other 60% gloss black (semi-gloss) parts found on the car. Interesting to note both clutch and brake pedal brackets where the rubber pedal cover goes on were black yet the opposite end where is assembles in the main housing had a few inches of no paint coverage. The center shaft that assembles those two shafts in the main housing is also bare metal. Hope that helps! If you had paint on yours then go with it.
Chick
68 Z/28 NOR 01B Orig motor/trans/rear
69 Z/28 NOR 07A Orig Block & GM Cross-ram/carbs
69 L34 Rest. Nova Father/Son Car
69 L78 Surv Nova Purch 4/69 31K miles
67 L89 Corv Tribute
68 Corv 427/400 Orig motor
07 Corv Z06
R 68Z build- http://www.camaros.net/forums/showthread.php?t=182584

scoop

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2011, 04:25:26 PM »
Thanks everyone for all the help

JohnZ

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2011, 05:54:13 PM »
Interesting to note both clutch and brake pedal brackets where the rubber pedal cover goes on were black yet the opposite end where is assembles in the main housing had a few inches of no paint coverage. The center shaft that assembles those two shafts in the main housing is also bare metal. Hope that helps! If you had paint on yours then go with it.

That's correct - the pedals were painted by the supplier, and the top 2"-3" or so were left bare to accept the nylon bushings, pivot shaft, and lube.
'69 Z/28
Fathom Green
CRG

anything