Author Topic: No cowl Tag - can it be reproduced?  (Read 7925 times)

Jesper

• View Profile
No cowl Tag - can it be reproduced?
« on: December 16, 2011, 08:00:51 PM »
Hi,
my 69 cab is missing the cowl tag- can it be reproduced, only with the information given from the VIN? In case yes, by whom, and where?

thx in advance ???

/Jesper, Denmark

bertfam

• View Profile
Re: No cowl Tag - can it be reproduced?
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2011, 08:34:22 PM »
Jesper, looking at THIS THREAD, it appears you asked this a few years ago, but I guess you never got a reply.

To be honest, we don't condone reproduction trim tags because they're mostly used to fake cars. For example, there are now more 69 Z28's in the world than the factory originally built because of these fake tags.

There's no real way to create a trim tag based on your VIN - 124679N697074 - because the data's now gone. The only other information would be the build date, paint and interior codes and the Fisher body number. Your car would have come with an X code, but without paperwork, there's no way to know what any of this would be, so my vote is to just leave things as they are and not worry about it.

Ed
« Last Edit: December 16, 2011, 08:54:36 PM by Ed Bertrand »

Jesper

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2011, 09:06:41 PM »
Ed,
thanks for your quick answer, and yes- i never got any reply back then...

Sure i can live with my missing tag- but itīs again approaching wintertime, the car is in the garage, and iīm doing some small (never ending?..) corrections... and then again i stumbled over my missing tag...my most annoying thing with my car (although iīm happy with it, and it has been giving us some real good times, through the years...)

It seems i have to live with it- i will now try to match my VIN with the partial vinīs- i never have tried this out... hopefully i will not be disappointed ! Imagine the VIN is not matching the partial VINīs ... Uhh.

Thanks for the greatest Camaro forum- Itīs got "customers" even from little Denmark... ;-)
/Jesper   

PS. Posted a small picture form our Westcoast- where it is allowed to drive on the beach. The photo is actually taken on the "interstate" of the area, running over 12 kilometres on the beach...

HOT3O2

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2011, 11:41:53 PM »
Great looking car Jesper. It's nice to see Camaros in other parts of the world. You should be proud.
Rick
69 RS/Z28

jacmac

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2011, 12:15:36 AM »
That is a nice pic & a very large license plate ;)
69 Z10,69 ss396Chevelle, 71 Corvette

canadair

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2011, 02:01:16 PM »
my z's vin is only 300 numbers from yours and there is an ebay car within 14 numbers built Oct 69

CNorton

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2011, 02:35:15 PM »
The 10C, X11 car that I'm working on right now is just a few units over the 700000 mark.

c

69pace

• View Profile
    • TeamCamaro - Moderator
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2011, 03:17:03 PM »
Somewhere on the Shoreline of Connecticut there is a green 68 convertible RS/SS that lost its cowl tag in a firewall repair accident.
At the show where I saw it the owner had a history board of the restoration the car had been through.

His shinny replacement cowl tag was catching the sunlight so it was a hot topic even then in the early 90's. The owner had tons of photos of the original tag and could have had a GM style reproduction made but he knew that would always be suspect of his numbers matching girl, so he had one made of brass like a ships dedication plate so there would be no question it was not original.

The replacement tag stated that in this place once was mounted the original Fisher Body trim tag, This plaque was made to commemorate  the original that was damaged in a repair and stated the date on which the original had died. It then listed all the information from the photos. He also had the POP in his fathers name to back up everything. Always liked that as the perfect way to replace and honor a lost tag. 

Would that solution also work for you?  In your case only list what you can prove, such as the year, and the model style, maybe the plant if you can prove that and leave the body sequence out, document the exterior and interior colors and maybe the build month if you can prove that by other means, but if not just state the facts, this is a replacement tag as the original was lost or stolen. Make it proud metal and call it done.

Just MHO
1969 Z-11 350/300 with 4 Speed
TeamCamaro - Moderator

latebuildZ

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2011, 03:18:05 PM »
close to my 10c as well  vin 701254  x33