Author Topic: 1969 Camaro passenger door mirror location  (Read 27279 times)

sdkar

• View Profile
1969 Camaro passenger door mirror location
« on: December 06, 2011, 03:29:30 PM »
Hey guys,

Does anyone know the proper mounting location of the passenger door mirror?  Is it the same dimensions as the driver side or is it further forward or back?  My pace car has a passenger mirror that is installed 2-1/2" further back from the fender than the driver side.  Not sure if this mirror is dealer installed or factory.  Was the passenger mirror even offered as a factory option?  Was it a dealer option only? 

Where my passenger door mirror is installed seems to be perfect as I have no problem aiming it exactly where I want it.  So, what's the correct location?  Let me know if you pass. mirror is in the exact dimension as your driver side or is it different.

Thanks,

Steve

bertfam

• View Profile
Re: 1969 Camaro passenger door mirror location
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2011, 03:45:06 PM »
Passenger side mirrors were dealer installed only and the locations varied, depending on who was assigned to install it!

Ed

IZRSSS

« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2011, 03:57:07 PM »
Ed - I found this thread over at TC. Is it true the holes, or pre-punced locations in the sheet metal were done at the factory (Reply #5)? And, I also found Reply #4 interesting...I guess no matter where its located its best to trial fit before drilling.

http://www.camaros.net/forums/showthread.php?p=1407607

bertfam

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2011, 04:36:55 PM »
Keep reading. Especially my reply #9.

Yes, the holes on the DRIVER side were prepunched, but not on the passenger door.

Ed

IZRSSS

« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2011, 04:39:20 PM »
OOPS...sorry!

Mark

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2011, 04:40:36 PM »
No holes, or even dimples showing where to drill holes in the passenger side doors from the factory.  There is a hole in the drivers door skin for the remote control mirror, cable, and two small holes for the drivers mirror but thats it.  The guys on the line positioned the the mirror bracket using sheetmetal screws  as the car went down the line.
Mark C.
1969 Indy Pace Car
350/300HP RPO Z11

sdkar

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2011, 04:41:46 PM »
My passenger mirror was dealer installed.  Not sure if there were any dealer notes on the placement or if they just put it where it worked best.  Surely they had to have something to go by as I am betting they did not want to have mirrors installed where the buyers could not use them and then have to re-install them and fill in the holes they just drilled into someone's brand new Camaro.  

When I first noticed the difference, I thought that whoever installed the mirror did so with no thought as to what was proper and just screwed it in wherever.  However, if you place the mirror in the exact location as the driver side, the mirror has to come in too far and doesn't really give a good viewing angle.  However, when screwed in where the original holes are, the angle is just about perfect and the mirror is centered very nicely where you have an almost equal adjustment distance up/down and side to side.  

My driver mirror is about 3" from the door edge and the passenger mirror if about 5-1/2" from the door edge.  That works great for me.  If anyone wants photos or measurements on the placement of my mirror, I will be happy to send them to you.

Steve
sdkar@bellsouth.net

69Z28freak

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2011, 03:59:54 AM »
I have a remote drivers mirror and I have never seen a matching passenger side mirror. Does one exist?
Mike 1969 Grandma Camaro

bertfam

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2011, 02:39:18 PM »
I have a remote drivers mirror and I have never seen a matching passenger side mirror. Does one exist?

If you mean a remote passenger side mirror, the answer is no.

Ed

69Z28freak

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2011, 07:31:43 PM »

If you mean a remote passenger side mirror, the answer is no.

Ed

Thanks Ed perhpas I should re phrase that question. Is there a matching mirror to the remote mirror as they are different. Just curious is there is only one standard passenger side mirror. I have never sen a car with a paasenger side mirror and a remote mirror as well.
Mike 1969 Grandma Camaro

bertfam

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2011, 07:52:55 PM »
Dealers were instructed to install the same shape of mirror as installed on the driver side. For 1967 this would be a round mirror and for 1968 and 1969, this would be the rectangular mirror.

Ed

IZRSSS

« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2011, 08:23:31 PM »
Mike - My car also came with the D33 option. I have thought long and hard about installing an outside passenger mirror for obvious reasons. If you decide to go that route, please post some pics. At this point in time I think combining the two styles would look too funky.

lakeholme

• 68-12D L30/M35
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2011, 09:19:21 PM »
However, if you place the mirror in the exact location as the driver side, the mirror has to come in too far and doesn't really give a good viewing angle. 

Steve
sdkar@bellsouth.net

The dealer installed mirror that came on my 68 was three inches from the door edge and.... "If you pushed the seat all the way back, sat up really straight in your seat, and leaned to the right, you could see down the side of the car...." Needless to say, when we did the repaint a few years ago, I moved it 5 1/2 inches from the door edge and now it is fine.  Good advice, Steve.
Phillip, HNR & NCR-AACA, Senior Master, Team Captain, Admin.,
Spring Southeastern Nationals chair, AACA National Director

69Z28freak

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2011, 04:07:04 AM »
Mike - My car also came with the D33 option. I have thought long and hard about installing an outside passenger mirror for obvious reasons. If you decide to go that route, please post some pics. At this point in time I think combining the two styles would look too funky.

I hear you Marty. I want a passenger side mirror as well, but think that the regular production unit would look odd compared to the bulkier drivers side remote unit. Not sure but perhaps there is a matching unit on another model from GM that would work? I wonder if there is a way to fab one up from an orginal drivers side unit and the base from a passenger side unit? I am going to look into that. Let me know if you come up with any ideas as well.
Mike 1969 Grandma Camaro

69Z28-RS

• owner since 4-Apr-1976
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2011, 05:47:19 PM »
IMO, having two mirrors NOT located in the same relative locations on the doors would look funky too.   I've been under the impression that there wre no passenger side mirrors available (from the factory) in '69....   True or not?    Am I correct in assuming that any mirror mounted to the passenger door by a dealer would have been the LH mirror just mounted on the RH side?
09C 69Z28-RS, 72 B 720 cowl console rosewood tint
69 Corvette, '60 Corvette, '72 Corvette
90 ZR1 red/red #246, 90 ZR1 white/gray #2466
72 El Camino, '55-'56-'57 Nomads, '55-'57 B/A Sedan

anything