Author Topic: Bean Counter Patina  (Read 3559 times)

IZRSSS

Bean Counter Patina
« on: November 22, 2011, 12:32:25 PM »
Way off topic but I need help with this F word car. Don't get me wrong, I love the car but I HATE the quality control on such a trivial/fundamental should not have happened rust issue/issues (rear and drive shaft). The pic below is of another Guy's ’08 Shelby GT500. I chose this pic because it illustrates exactly what is going on with all the new Shelby GT500's, including my ’07. Ford's claim is that it's normal ware and is not backed by warranty so we're stuck with trying to remedy the problem on our own.

Can someone tell me the best way to fix this problem w/o compromising the integrity of the car? I know that sounds strange because factory correct in this case would be to preserve the rust :-\. Just trying to get some ideas so that whichever way I decide to go, professionally or on my own, it's done correctly. I've seen some pretty raunchy attempts on line. This is my attempt to avoid the same mistakes.

Thanks & Happy Thanksgiving CRG!

Kelley W King

• View Profile
Re: Bean Counter Patina
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2011, 01:21:06 PM »
Por 15 clear should preserve the factory rust if you like. After appying you could apply a no gloss clear top coat. Later you could even go over it all with black like it should have been to start with.
69 Z28 RS Scuncio Hi Performance
69 SS L78
67 SS Chevelle
64 Corvette
66 GTO Tiger Gold
77 Trans Am Special Edition

IZRSSS

« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2011, 01:41:24 PM »
Believe it or not, the rear etc was painted black which started to lift within two month's after I purchased the car (brand spanking new). I was just being facetious with the rust comment. Thanks for your input Kelley I'll certainly explore all options.

Charley

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2011, 02:48:20 PM »
www.safestrustremover.com or other similar product will do..  I got a fountain type pump with a short garden hose and set it under the car in a kiddie pool. Have it spray on the diff for probably a hour and it will look like when it was new. Doesn't hurt the paint or rubber. It did etch my my concrete though on the stuff that splashed and set on the floor for awhile.. The spray it with either Fluid Film or Boeshield.

IZRSSS

« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2011, 11:55:42 PM »
Thanks Charley!

maroman

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2011, 12:37:32 AM »
SOOO, Marty, are you actually admitting to owning one of THESE F cars? Shame on you. ???
Doug  '67 RS/SS 396 auto I know the car since new

tmodel66

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2011, 02:11:53 AM »
SOOO, Marty, are you actually admitting to owning one of THESE F cars? Shame on you. ???

My exact sentiments!!!  What a disgrace !!!!  J/K    ;D
Daniel  
'69 SS 350/4 speed  Fathom Green--POP

IZRSSS

« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2011, 02:16:49 AM »
Doug & Daniel – Yup…call me a blank-eddy, blank-eddy, blank-eddy. Actually, I like them all. Once I get my Mopar they can bury me.

I spent a lot of time researching the new Shelby when rumors started to surface about Carol Shelby teaming back up with Ford and SVT. When it finally came time for the dealerships to begin selling, shi$%@ hit the fan. Qualifying dealerships received 1 or 2 cars depending on their status. What followed was good old American Capitalism. Rack up a ton of names for a list of 1 or 2 and sell to the highest bidder. I tried for six months and finally gave up because the waiting lists were too long or the prices were ridicules, or both.

Another six months went by and I decided to give it another try. Logged on and got every single F dealership phone number in New Mexico. On the second day of calling, I found a small dealership in southern New Mexico who was allocated one Shelby. I asked if the car was spoken for and the salesman said no, I just about fell off my chair. I then asked if the car was at the dealership and the answer was again no. I then asked for the price. The answer was 34K; again, I almost fell off my chair. The icing on the cake, I could order the car exactly the way I wanted it. Come to find out, this dealership didn't have a clue what this car was. I wired a deposit before they had a chance to figure it out and before the car was even ordered. Things really got crazy after that. The next day I was recieving calls from all over about the purchase, and the rest as they say is history, rust and all.  :-\

anything