Author Topic: Anyone know if this is a 327? I have #'s off the block...................  (Read 15954 times)

West,J.71

• View Profile
Dad had this engine tucked away in the garage,he was curious if it was a 327. He gave me these #'s , was curious if someone could tell me anything about it.   k961      3789817   This is what he gave me,if anyone can decode it i would and my father would appreciate it.    Thanks

JohnZ

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
Three things are needed to positively ID the engine:

1. The raised casting number (that's the 3789817 you posted).

2. The raised casting date code (about six inches to the passenger side of the distributor hole).

3. Everything that's stamped on the machined surface of the block directly in front of the passenger side cylinder head.
'69 Z/28
Fathom Green
CRG

West,J.71

• View Profile
OK,i answered my own question. It is a 327,1962 to 1967 car and truck small block. Hp range from 210 to 290. It has been sitting in my dads garage for a long time, it came out of my older brothers 67' camaro. I dont know if it was the factory motor,i kinda doubt it. Its a 2 bolt main,i havent removed the oil pan to find out but that was what i was told. I have no clue what k961 means,i didn't see anything about that on the websight i went to. If anyone knows what that means let me know.

hotrod68

• almost finished
    • View Profile
All 327s were 2-bolt mains, West, and the '67s and back had steel cranks. In '68 they went to the larger main bearings, the block lost the canister oil filter in favor of a spin-on type, and the cranks were cast. In general, the older 327/210hp version was a 2-barrel, the 250hp was a 4-barrel with a 4GC Rochester, and the 275/300hp had the 1.94/1.50 heads, more compression and a Holley carburetor. That's just the base 327s. One sure-fire way to identify a '67 and back engine is that they had a breather tube in the back of the block beside the distributor instead of a PCV valve, and they had the steel canister oil filter. Hope this helps.
HotRod'68  1968 SS350 coupe undergoing frame-off resto/rod. 386/350/4.11s
Butternut Yellow    black standard interior

West,J.71

• View Profile
This has some kind of breather i guess under the intake in the back part of the block and has the steel bolt on oil filter. Would they have put this engine in a 67'  RS camaro? And if they did is their a certain way to find out?

JohnZ

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
That block was only used from '62-'65; if you post the numbers/codes in #2 and #3 above, we can tell you exactly what it is and what it was installed in originally.
'69 Z/28
Fathom Green
CRG

West,J.71

• View Profile
The engine still has the heads on it, the only # other than the 3789817 is K961. The # K961 is just to the right of the distributor hole, standing from directly behind the engine at the flywheel. Until i get a chance to remove the heads as far as i can see that is the only #'s on the block. I'll try to get a chance to pull the heads off of it and see if it has #'s on the deck. My dad showed someone the engine and this person has offered a trade for a 454 big block for it. I'm not sure if the guy just really wants a 327 or he knows something about the engine that i dont.

hotrod68

• almost finished
    • View Profile
What kind of markings are on the ends of the heads, West? The standard 327 heads had a rectangular mark cast next to the head deck--this would generally be a standard low-performance engine, 2bbl or 4bbl. Some had a rectangle with a vertical "spike" in the center, but these were  low-performance heads, too. The 275hp and 300hps had the "double hump" heads with one corner of a hump sometimes cut off--these were the 1.94 valve "300" heads. The good "350hp" heads always had full rounded humps, and combustion chambers factory machined for 2.02 valves. These heads were used on the Z/28s. Mind you, this is not just for Camaros, since we're not sure of your engine and so much could have been swapped around--I'm speaking in generalities here.  Can you pull a valve cover and get a head casting #? That would help a lot IF everything is original (chuckle.) Is the intake manifold 2bbl, small 4bbl, flanged for a Holley or a Quadrajunk? Is it iron or aluminum? If the thing has double-hump heads that may be why the guy is willing to trade a 454 for it--those heads have become very hard to find. I have a set of #291 heads from a '68 Z/28 as well as an original '68 Z/28 DZ carburetor. REPRO DZ carburetors are selling for $500 and I've been offered enough for the #291 heads that I could buy a new set of aluminum AFRs. You could be sitting on a gold mine. Good luck!

JohnZ

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
That block was cast at Tonawanda on November 9, 1961, so it's out of a '62 passenger car, Chevelle, or truck. You don't have to pull the heads to see the stampings on the block deck - it's right in front of the passenger side cylinder head, out in the open. If the heads are the same vintage as the block, they'll have either 1.72" or 1.94" valves, and the head casting numbers and dates are visible if you pull the valve covers.
'69 Z/28
Fathom Green
CRG

hotrod68

• almost finished
    • View Profile
A '62 Chevelle? You've piqued my curiosity, John!

JohnZ

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
Oops - only used in the Chevelle in '65.  :)
'69 Z/28
Fathom Green
CRG

West,J.71

• View Profile
Ok,i finally got the chance to look under the valve covers on the 327 and this is what i found. 782462  GM    E255    ok,under (GM) there is a 1,and under the numbers (E255) there is either a 13 or an 18. I can't tell which one. The second digit is worn down, so if anyone knows what these numbers mean plz let me know. Thanks

JohnZ

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
I think if you look closer you'll find that they're 3782461 heads, and that one was cast on May 25, 1965. Those were good heads in the day, and were machined for both 1.94" valves (250 & 300hp) and 2.02" valves (350, 365, 375hp); no way to tell which valves are in them without pulling the heads and measuring them.
'69 Z/28
Fathom Green
CRG

West,J.71

• View Profile
Well,i'll take a closer look to see. But just out of curiosity what do you think this engine is worth? And would they have put this engine in a Camaro in 1967?

JohnZ

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
And would they have put this engine in a Camaro in 1967?

Nope - the block was cast in 1961.
'69 Z/28
Fathom Green
CRG

anything