Author Topic: 69 L48/LM1 Automatic "Keep Your GM Car..." Decal Info Wanted  (Read 51651 times)

69pace

• View Profile
    • TeamCamaro - Moderator
Re: 69 L48/LM1 Automatic "Keep Your GM Car..." Decal Info Wanted
« Reply #75 on: August 05, 2012, 09:56:48 PM »
That's a great picture of the DG Brian.  I notice a number of things that are a little different than what I've been fiddling with.  The two digit alpha code is a different font again, but I have found it. The "keep your......" script is also a slightly different font although I think I have also found it.  There is also more "White space" at the bottom and top than what I was dealing with. Any chance you can get Jeff to get a measurement for us?

I'll send him a message and see if he can.

Don, can you do anything for the CO 6484584 decal?

Thanks.

I'm trying.  I did download the correct font for the two digit alpha code yesterday as the repro font for that is not even close.  I have the benefit of having an excellent picture of the Black CV decal (same family) and the main body text is "justified" on both the left and right sides, the repro is not.  So, yes, I am fiddling with these ones as well.  Here are a few questions which would help with the Black ones:
- What are the various two digit alpha codes, part numbers and applicable filter numbers?
- Was the printing White or Gold?

It's unfortunate this thread got sidetracked from the original Black decals to the White decals - think we can blame Brian (69pace) for that :-)  Separate threads would have been less confusing.

LOL You guys asked for information on decals for the 69 L48 - so you got all the possible options for the 1969 L48 so you have a clear picture now of how many there were and which ones are automatics. :) If you like I can open a new thread and abandon this one.
1969 Z-11 350/300 with 4 Speed
TeamCamaro - Moderator

Don_Lightfoot

• View Profile
« Reply #76 on: August 05, 2012, 10:13:13 PM »
Man, I gotta get a life.  Here it is Sunday in the middle of a long weekend here in Ontario and I've spent most of the day fiddling with this thing.  Well, it rained here all day so the Car Event I wanted to go to was a washout and I didn't have anything else planned.

I've printed out a draft copy on plain paper.  The light for my picture wasn't the best unfortunately.  Comparison is in the picture below.  It may be necessary to make the Red text a little more Burgundy.  the GM and AC logos are out a bit, but I can't do anything about that. This one is about 4 5/8" by 1 1/2  Let me know what you think.

WEBSITE
Specialized Chevrolet Decals

69pace

• View Profile
    • TeamCamaro - Moderator
« Reply #77 on: August 05, 2012, 11:17:30 PM »
We have severe thunderstorms here today so I'm in the same boat.
Mockup looks good for the DG version. The red text still looks a little thicker then the original IMHO.
TeamCamaro - Moderator

Don_Lightfoot

• View Profile
« Reply #78 on: August 05, 2012, 11:32:18 PM »
The red text still looks a little thicker then the original IMHO.

Ya Brian, I've been fiddling with a smaller font and then "stretching it" to accomplish that goal.  However, although the overall length of those lines can end in the same spot, some of the "vertical" alignment in other areas of the text don't line up with the "Know your...." text.  Close, but not as accurate as the one you see.  I may post a picture of the change to get some thoughts.
WEBSITE

Don_Lightfoot

• View Profile
« Reply #79 on: August 05, 2012, 11:47:37 PM »
Here's that other sample Brian. I did the same scenario with the part number too.

WEBSITE

69pace

• View Profile
    • TeamCamaro - Moderator
« Reply #80 on: August 06, 2012, 03:03:25 AM »
Here's that other sample Brian. I did the same scenario with the part number too.

Ah now that's a thing of beauty :)
TeamCamaro - Moderator

Don_Lightfoot

• View Profile
« Reply #81 on: August 06, 2012, 03:49:05 PM »
Thanks to the members here for their input and request to do these. The DE, DF and DG White decals are now available through my website.

Hope to have something on the Black CO decal shortly.
WEBSITE

Danzo

• View Profile
« Reply #82 on: August 07, 2012, 12:50:02 AM »
Don, what about the CO decal in white?

Thanks.

Don_Lightfoot

• View Profile
« Reply #83 on: August 07, 2012, 02:51:10 AM »
Don, what about the CO decal in white?

Shouldn't be a problem now that I have the general format laid out. Go back to page 2 and look at the picture Steve posted - is the "Keep your........" script in Blue or Black? I notice the Red script is aligned slightly different than the ones I just did, but that shouldn't be a major problem.  You determine that colour and I can look at it after finalizing the Black one.
WEBSITE

Don_Lightfoot

• View Profile
« Reply #84 on: August 07, 2012, 04:51:11 PM »
For those that were interested, here is the Black CO decal.  You will note the main text body is justified on the left and the right, unlike the repro.  The font for the CO is a weird one, but it matches the style of an original one I have on file (different code), the repro font for this code is not correct.

The main dilemma to be faced here is the corners.  The originals had a strange style to them.  It seems as if each corner had three different angles.  I tried to replicate those cuts manually with one of these I did a year or so ago, but the end result was not that good.  Not up to the standards I like to maintain.  It would almost take a specially designed die punch to do those corners and I am not in a position to warrant that kind of investment as this would likely be the only item to use it on.  I have a ¼ inch round corner punch which I don’t think would be large enough for comparison to original.  A ½” round corner punch would be much closer, although not exact, and I ordered one yesterday which will likely be a couple of weeks before I get it (could not find one locally).  Any enthusiasts interested in this item would have to decide themselves if the round corner, rather than the three angled corner, is satisfactory for them.  Alternatively, they could order it square and arrange for trimming themselves.

I didn’t get any responses to my earlier questions which I will repeat here if anybody can help:
- Was the printing White or Gold?
- What are the other CODES, PART NUMBERS and FILTER NUMBERS that were used as they would no doubt be the same style?

WEBSITE

Don_Lightfoot

• View Profile
« Reply #85 on: August 08, 2012, 02:25:48 PM »
The white CO decal is finished.  Information is on my website
WEBSITE

crobjones2

• View Profile
« Reply #86 on: August 10, 2012, 12:01:52 AM »
The L48 auto ZL2 air cleaner assembly is unique in that it has the valve in the snout for the exhaust manifold pre-heat. Not reproduced and hard to find.

The 350/manual unit is somehow different than the 396-427-Z/28 unit; don't know why. Needs a side-by-side comparison.

William - did other L48 auto's also have the same valve? I have a vacuum controlled valve on the original snout of my air cleaner
Chris
69 SS 350

IZRSSS

« Reply #87 on: August 10, 2012, 01:22:29 AM »
Don – glad to see you are working on the black CO sticker!

Can you please post a pic of the sticker you are using as a template/example? I find it very unusual that there would be 3 or 4 different corners on a mass produced item like this. Something tells me it simply has to do with heat and elements distorting it over time. Also, can you tell me if the originals had adhesive built in or was it applied by hand? If it was applied by hand, or the glue wasn’t applied evenly, each corner would wear differently over time.

Don_Lightfoot

• View Profile
« Reply #88 on: August 10, 2012, 02:54:11 AM »
Marty, here is a picture of an original CV Black decal.  We used that as a format for the CU decal we did for somebody a year or two ago.  Also, in this thread, on page 1 (post #7) Kurt has a picture of an original and on page 4 (post #45) Les has a picture of an original.

In Les’ post he also put a picture of a current reproduction.  From that picture you can notice several things, but mostly the fonts for the code are way off and the text lines are not right justified.  The corners on that repro appear to be ½” rounded which is how mine will likely look once I get that punch I ordered.

For the CU decal below, I cut the corners with scissors in an effort to replicate the original.  The finished product is really not as good as the picture might indicate.  There was also a lot of spoilage involved as I had to print out several of them just to get one cut to a fairly decent standard.  I was not overly happy with the end result, but the person who ordered it said it was better than anything else out there.

It sure appears to me the originals had weird corners or “tapered ends”, if you will.  Could they in fact have been round and just decayed over time?  That is certainly a possibility.

I certainly can't say about the adhesive Marty, but I would think they were self adhesive.  I believe only the posi and jack decals for the trunk were without glue.  I certainly stand to be corrected on that.

Also, you can tell why I was asking if the originals had the White or Gold printing.

« Last Edit: August 10, 2012, 03:13:24 AM by Don_Lightfoot »
WEBSITE

IZRSSS

« Reply #89 on: August 10, 2012, 03:44:36 AM »
I wish we had a better pic to go by or someone who actually had this CO sticker. Kurt’s pic appears to show signs of an “Aluminum Sheet Decal”. If this is in fact the case, no telling what this base material/metal would do to the white lettering over time. Sorry, didn’t mean to complicate the issue but it might be worth looking into. In addition, can you tell what type of overlay was used? Those old black stickers sure look shinny.

anything