Author Topic: So many questions...  (Read 7267 times)

T/AracingFTW

• View Profile
So many questions...
« on: November 05, 2011, 09:15:49 PM »
I spend hours at a time just soaking in the information on this site because classic Trans Am racing is my PASSION and just want to know EVERYTHING about everything T/A!!  I know I've said this before but I'm so thankful I found this AMAZING site with an abundance of information that I just haven't ran into anywhere else and for that I am truly grateful and never take this site or the hard work that goes into posting all the pics and info for granted.  That being said though so many questions arise in my head every time I research Trans Am racing and I do my best to find the info myself in here or other free/cheap sources (The most expensive resource I have been able to afford is that popular DVD for around $30).  I've said this before on here but I'm a great driver and in my opinion would be a great Trans Am racer but due to being 40, having a wife and three kids and chosen the wrong career (missed my calling) I can't even come close to the real thing so I've made Trans Am racing my passion/hobby when it comes to trying to relive the past through pics, video and historic facts/info.  As I have stated before I am a "realistic racing gamer" because I have nothing else to enjoy car or racing wise and I have now founded and co created 2, going on 3 game Trans Am racing series that are based as much as possible on the real thing.

Why say all of this and somewhat repeat myself again?  Because I literally feel bad asking for information on here and don't want in any way to take advantage of anyone's time/resources and furthermore don't want anyone to think that I'm just doing it for a game.  I am seeking information solely because of the passion I have to learn about, recreate and bring as much awareness as possible to the greatest racing series in history!!!  (Sorry, I get worked up a bit)  ::)

Therefore, if it is OK with everyone here, I'd like permission to post such questions I have about classic Trans Am racing in this thread with the understanding that I'm not pirating info, I'm not afraid to do the work myself to find it if I'm given a direction and I don't in any way expect anything from anyone here, just asking.  Furthermore, I'd be more than happy to post pics/video of the game series' as it unfolds including my painted T/A car projects.  Most of my questions are just "knowledge of the series" questions and have very little if any thing to do with game T/A series' but the first one I have is related to my upcoming Forza Motorsport 4 T/A series (just to be honest).

I'm just wondering if anyone has even a general knowledge of any lap times that were run in the under 2.0/2.5 class on Laguna Seca, Road America or Sears Point (Infineon)?  I've been spending hours trying to find that info and I just can't seem to.  We're planning on having both A & B classes on the track at the same time and since I've matched up the performance on the Pony cars, I'm just waiting to find out how fast the little guys were.  Thanks in advance for any info/pics.
 ;)

wrongwayron

• View Profile
Re: So many questions...
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2011, 09:33:02 PM »

OCTARD

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2011, 12:02:54 AM »
Hello T/AracingFTW,

Ron pointed you to a great resource, racingsportscars.com, that has many Trans-Am race details.  Though the site doesn't have qualifying times and best race pace for every race, car and class, they try to post as much as they've accumulated.  There are a variety of ways to get to the content you desire, but I'd start by using their database search screens to query by...

Race - http://www.racingsportscars.com/races.html
Track - http://www.racingsportscars.com/tracks.html

Or even just start with their entire list of Trans-Am details:

http://www.racingsportscars.com/championship/Trans-Am.html

I'm a big fan of the content on racingsportscars, and try to add or correct details for certain cars or series when I come across them.

You might also want to look through all the scanned hard-copy 1966-72 SCCA Trans-Am results that are listed here:

http://www.trans-amseries.com/results/

So, using the "trans-amseries..." results, you could quickly build a fairly good answer to your specific question... 

I'm just wondering if anyone has even a general knowledge of any lap times that were run in the under 2.0/2.5 class on Laguna Seca, Road America or Sears Point (Infineon)?  I've been spending hours trying to find that info and I just can't seem to.  We're planning on having both A & B classes on the track at the same time and since I've matched up the performance on the Pony cars, I'm just waiting to find out how fast the little guys were.  Thanks in advance for any info/pics.
 ;)

Using 1970 as an example year...

• For 1970, at Laguna Seca, the U2 fastest qualifying lap was 1:18.63 (86.984mph, Kwech Alfa), and the U2 fastest race lap was 1:18.99 (86.59mph, Provenzano Alfa)
  • For 1970, at Road America, the U2 fastest race lap was 2:48.9 (86.258mph, Schuster BMW)
  • For 1970, there was no Sears Point T/A, but you have a bunch of other tracks to mess with.

T/AracingFTW

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2011, 12:35:22 AM »
Thank you SO MUCH guys!!!  ;D

wrongwayron

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2011, 02:01:31 AM »
There was a ROAD & TRACK issue in the mid-70s with a full track test of three under 2.5-liter Trans-Am cars at Laguna Seca. I will attempt to determine to correct issue tomorrow

wrongwayron

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2011, 02:15:44 AM »
January 1972: Alfa Romeo 1750 GTV, BMW 2002 & Datsun 510

oldtransamdriver

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2011, 01:19:13 AM »
The 67 camaro "barn find" which appears to be an old SCCA  A sedan car, that my friend has purchased in OR, may have had some owner involvement with a race car club that was associated with Clippinger Chev out of West Covina. LA.  Doubt that anyone on this forum can go back that far to the late sixties thru the seventies, but you never know!

Still don't have any names to attach to this car but working on it.

Robert Barg