Author Topic: Ebay BBC SS/RS car LOS cowl tag  (Read 6406 times)

69z28302

• View Profile

bertfam

• View Profile
Re: Ebay BBC SS/RS car LOS cowl tag
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2011, 12:01:04 AM »
Read THIS Mike.

Field b (LOS vs NOR)
LOS - Fisher Body body scheduling code
The LOS (Los Angeles/Van Nuys) body scheduling code is a letter followed by one to three digits, e.g., F103. Based on data analysis only (there is no GM documentation yet available that describes this code) - but with consistent application to thousands of datapoints - CRG believes the code was used by LOS Fisher Body (and other plants that built multiple carlines) to aid in scheduling the body build order.

The letter indicates the approximate production day of the month for the start of the assembly of each vehicle body. It began with letter "A" on the first day of the month of the Fisher production calendar, incremented at the start of each additional production day to the next alphabetic letter, and was reset to letter "A" at the start of the next production month. (Note that the Fisher production calendar is known to differ slightly from the calendar month, and we also do not yet know exactly how the Fisher production calendar related to the Chevrolet monthly production reporting calendar.)

The one-to-three digit sequence number that follows the letter was reset to 1 at the start of each production day and was incremented serially with each body built by the factory as the day progressed. Data analysis indicates that the sequence number at the LOS plant was assigned regardless of model or body type. By this we mean that Camaros and full-size passenger cars both incremented the same sequence counter. The unit counter was reset to 1 the next day as the day-of-the-month code letter incremented to the next letter. In the example, F103 would indicate the sixth day of production for a given month and the 103rd body started on that sixth day of production.

Ed

69z28302

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2011, 12:22:08 AM »
Thanks Ed. That explains the X then.

Mike

MyRed67

• SZZLN 67
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2011, 06:38:41 AM »
It also explains the 282, 282 nd. body started that day.   My 11A LOS built Coupe has
A 638, meaning it was built on the first day of Nov. in 66, it was the 638 th. Body started on that day.(all Models)
1967 Camaro  LOS  11A
Original Engine   Z - Tribute
Mike C.    NW - Illinois

HOT3O2

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2011, 04:12:53 PM »
Do we know how many production days were in a week? Was it Monday thru Friday, Were car assembled on Saturdays and Sundays?
Rick
69 RS/Z28

Petes L48

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2011, 06:19:54 PM »
Do we know how many production days were in a week? Was it Monday thru Friday, Were car assembled on Saturdays and Sundays?

Here's an old thread, Monday through Friday, two 8 hour shifts.  You can also use the advanced search and learn about related things like scheduled plant holidays, effects of strikes, etc.  I think it was mentioned in another thread that in certain circumstances they would schedule Saturday work, but it was generally not a common practice.
http://www.camaros.org/forum/index.php?topic=2354.0

Here's another thread for you:
http://www.camaros.org/forum/index.php?topic=2461.0

HOT3O2

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2011, 10:57:25 PM »
Thanks Pete, That was some very good reading. Cleared up allot of issues with me.
Rick
69 RS/Z28

KurtS

• CRG Coordinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2011, 01:01:38 AM »
It also explains the 282, 282 nd. body started that day.   My 11A LOS built Coupe has
A 638, meaning it was built on the first day of Nov. in 66, it was the 638 th. Body started on that day.(all Models)
If only it were that simple. A was at the beginning of the month, but I don't think it was always the first day. Fisher's calendar wasn't that exact.
Kurt S
CRG

69Z28-RS

• owner since 4-Apr-1976
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2011, 07:02:33 PM »
so for the example provided, November 1966, 11A car with A638...

"It also explains the 282, 282 nd. body started that day.   My 11A LOS built Coupe has
A 638, meaning it was built on the first day of Nov. in 66, it was the 638 th. Body started on that day.(all Models)"

Since the 1st of November is a Tuesday, the first day of that work week was actually the 31October.   Does the A638 actually refer to the 638th car on Tuesday?  or the 638th car of Monday (31Oct)???   Basically the question boils down to how the 'weeks of a month' and production days within a week or month are defined..  Maybe JohnZ knows the answer to this?

09C 69Z28-RS, 72 B 720 cowl console rosewood tint
69 Corvette, '60 Corvette, '72 Corvette
90 ZR1 red/red #246, 90 ZR1 white/gray #2466
72 El Camino, '55-'56-'57 Nomads, '55-'57 B/A Sedan

JohnZ

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2011, 07:22:30 PM »
Since the 1st of November is a Tuesday, the first day of that work week was actually the 31October.   Does the A638 actually refer to the 638th car on Tuesday?  or the 638th car of Monday (31Oct)???   Basically the question boils down to how the 'weeks of a month' and production days within a week or month are defined..  Maybe JohnZ knows the answer to this?

Nope. See Kurt's reply (#7).
'69 Z/28
Fathom Green
CRG

MyRed67

• SZZLN 67
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2011, 05:48:05 AM »
KurtS;>>>>>
  OK, per my post above;
 My 11A LOS built Coupe has A 638, meaning it was built on the first day of Nov. in 66, it was the 638 th. Body started on that day.(all Models)
   I am aware that Nov.1-66 was a Tues., did the month and week date stamp reset on the 1 st. of each month?  And I also understand what you said that the A in the Body tracking # may not be on the 1 st. of the month.  But is it also quite possible that it might have been?  According to production #'s for end of each month 112746 at LOS is only 837 prior to my car.
1967 Camaro  LOS  11A
Original Engine   Z - Tribute
Mike C.    NW - Illinois

KurtS

• CRG Coordinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2011, 06:13:56 AM »
That's the problem. It was Fisher's system and they used it as they saw fit.
Maybe they reset it at the end of the month, maybe they reset it at the beginning of the last week, maybe at the beginning of the next week. They weren't consistent.
I've seen a Cxxx code be in two different weeks, like 10E and 11A. That shouldn't be, but shows the #'s weren't hard and fast.
Kurt S
CRG