Author Topic: Original Oil Pan Restoration  (Read 3398 times)

jeff68

• View Profile
Original Oil Pan Restoration
« on: December 17, 2011, 06:22:54 PM »
I put a new oil pan on my L30 327 back in the 80's.  Luckily, I saved my original and I am going to install it.  I'm trying to figure out how much (if any) metal work I should do on it.  Please take a look at the back edge of the bottom of the pan and let me know what you think about the dents.  Leave the small dents or pound them out?  I just don't want to spend time straightening the pan if they were basically this way from the factory.

Also, any suggestions for removing the minor surface rust on the outside of the pan?  I really don't want to sandblast & risk any leftover contamination inside the pan.  I was going to use paint stripper then apply rust removal gel to the rusty spots.

68 L30/M20 Convertible, Ash Gold
N10, F41, N34, Z21, ZJ9, Z87, D55, G80, P01, U17

BlackoutSteve

• View Profile
Re: Original Oil Pan Restoration
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2011, 03:20:11 AM »
With the right tools, or even basic hammer and home-made dolly, those dents look pretty easy.
I'm sure there is youtube tutorial that shows basic panel beating.

Paint strip the pan chemically and use a ~180 grit paper to clean up the surface rust.
Restoring my RHD 69 Jane in Melbourne, Australia.
http://www.usmuscle.com.au/Forum/showthread.php?t=2840

1968 Z28

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2011, 05:03:41 AM »
Jeff....here is a link that shows my 1968 Z28 pan after I pounded out the bottom.  The whole bottom was pretty much caved in, I even think it was hitting the pickup.  It was also caved in around the oil drain plug like yours.  I reworked the plug area with a hammer and got the area around the plug flat and also brought the area under the plug farther out toward the bottom of the pan.  For the bottom of the pan, I used a piece of 1x2 lumber and a hammer on a table top to beat out the caved in areas and round out the bottom around the edges.  My pan still looks a little lumpy but at least it has its original form.

http://www.camaros.org/forum/index.php?topic=8468.0
Jerry G.

Z28-1968-07C-Norwood
Ermine White, Red Std. Interior
2nd. Owner, 38,000 miles

jeff68

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2011, 09:17:34 PM »
It was also caved in around the oil drain plug like yours.  I reworked the plug area with a hammer and got the area around the plug flat and also brought the area under the plug farther out toward the bottom of the pan. 
The only area that appears deformed on mine is at the bottom back edge.  The area around the drain plug looks untouched.  The drain plug area is locally recessed to form a low spot in the pan.  It doesn't gradually 'blend in' to the bottom of the pan like your does.
68 L30/M20 Convertible, Ash Gold
N10, F41, N34, Z21, ZJ9, Z87, D55, G80, P01, U17

anything