Author Topic: Body bolt kit or re-use originals ???  (Read 3151 times)

DAVEN1256

• View Profile
Body bolt kit or re-use originals ???
« on: November 02, 2011, 10:27:25 PM »
I am debating on wether to clean and refinish all my body bolts and fasteners ( most seem saveable) or buy a "complete body fastener kit" for my '68 Camaro. The task of degreasing, derusting, and refinishing all those fasteners seems a little daunting............For the money, it seems like a replacement kit might be a better (easier) way to go.

What are people's experiences with these kits? Are they the correct grade with the correct markings and correct finish. Does it vary depending on who you order them from? I see the name "AMK" coming up alot. How are they? I am looking for a correct factory finish in my car.

If I choose to reuse my originals, what is a good way to do a bulk degreasing and derusting while still being able to identify what is what after they come out of the labeled bags? I am sure I could probably take them somewhere to be dipped or can you do this (in bulk I mean ) at home?

Thanks,
Dave

tmodel66

• View Profile
Re: Body bolt kit or re-use originals ???
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2011, 11:09:27 PM »
I used the AMK full body kit and I'm very pleased.
Daniel  
'69 SS 350/4 speed  Fathom Green--POP

68camaroz28

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2011, 01:04:06 AM »
For me Dave the answer was both yes and no! I purchased the AMK complete chassis kit and have used several and many I have not. After awhile of looking at bolt markings and doing some research you quickly find out or start to have a feel for the normal. I had some AMK kit head markings that were exact to my originals and some head markings due to location your not going to see, so both of those were no brainers, but there were plenty that neither matched the actual bolts taken off the car nor other bolt suppliers that were on the car. In those cases, and there were plenty I opted to glass bead and re-phosphate the bolts. Another area the AMK kit/s come in handy involves the usage of the nuts and washers. All in all, I'd do the same thing again, i.e. purchase the AMK Kit and cherry pick!
If you have not completed any phosphate work to date, it's easy!
Chick
68 Z/28 NOR 01B Orig motor/trans/rear
69 Z/28 NOR 07A Orig Block & GM Cross-ram/carbs
69 L34 Rest. Nova Father/Son Car
69 L78 Surv Nova Purch 4/69 31K miles
67 L89 Corv Tribute
68 Corv 427/400 Orig motor
07 Corv Z06
R 68Z build- http://www.camaros.net/forums/showthread.php?t=182584

68Zproject

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2011, 03:27:47 PM »
If you're looking for a correct resto, AMK will not fit the bill in all areas.  Like Chick said, they aren't all the same as what was on the car originally.  I've found that some of the repro bolts and nuts don't seem to be of the same quality as the original nuts and bolts.  Maybe not the case with all of them or maybe my imagination.  One example was the bolt holding the harmonic balancer on.  The repro I had, rounded off when tightening and stripped out.  The original I found later was much tougher and didn't round off or strip.  I had this happen with some repro transmission bolts and bellhousing bolts as well.  I didn't get these from AMK but was told they supply most of the suppliers of reproduction parts.  I have gotten some bolts etc. from AMK and the majority of them seem to be fine.
68Z28

anything