Author Topic: Bright high beams, Dull low beams on Hal. lights  (Read 9067 times)

adjudimo

• View Profile
Bright high beams, Dull low beams on Hal. lights
« on: October 26, 2011, 09:01:08 AM »
Hey folks, I just completely rewired my 67 SS/RS with AAW classic update. I also replaced all RS parts electrically, including breaker, relays, limit switches and new door motors. Updated to a 12SI 94 amp. multi wire alternator so I would also have idiot lights to go along with installed gauges. Replaced all grounds with new ones including star washers everywhere and even added a couple extra grounds under dash. And yes, I took the paint down to metal at all of these locations. Everything electrically works on the car. I replaced my old headlights with Sylvania Xtravision Halogens H6024. My bright lights are bright and white, but my low beam lights are dull and yellowish; like a car with an almost dead battery. Switch back to bright and I have very bright white lights again! Battery is a good (checked) Optima Red Top and car is charging as it should. Any thoughts? Thanks, J.R.

PURESS

• View Profile
Re: Bright high beams, Dull low beams on Hal. lights
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2011, 04:07:41 PM »
Have you put the old lights back in and triied that to see if the same thing happens?

Stingr69

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2011, 09:32:26 PM »
Dimmer switch?

I know I need to replace mine. I have no low beams at this time.

-Mark.

adjudimo

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2011, 06:02:11 AM »
Thank you for your comments. I haven't tried the old lights. Both the bright and low beams were very yellow and dim on the originals, but that was before the rewire. I will check them out and then look into the dimmer switch. I had cleaned the old dimmer up and made sure it was making a good contact to metal in case that was important, even though it does bolt/screw into place. I received a new dimmer with the wiring harness kit, but figured that the one I had was good since it worked. Doing some home remodeling and it will be a few days before I get back to the Camaro. J.R.

L78 steve

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2011, 05:30:25 PM »
Either low voltage at the bulb or bad ground. Since the highs seem fine its probably low voltage on the low beam wire.,
69 Z/28 Dover White. SOLD
67 SS/RS Mt. Green 1W,2LGSR,3SL,4K,5BY,07C. SOLD
70 Nova L78 Blk. Cherry,Sandalwood,M21,02B

tom

• View Profile
    • Discount Internet Services
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2011, 02:33:55 PM »
Sounds like an issue at the dimmer switch or between the dimmer switch and the low beam contacts for the bulb. If it's both sides I would start at the dimmer switch.
69 X11 Z21 L14 glide
looking for a 69 export model (KPH) speed
o

adjudimo

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2012, 07:55:55 PM »
I know it has been a while since I started this thread but other things has taken me away from the headlight system until now. I changed out the dimmer switch and there is no change to the low beam lights still being dull and yellow. Since I had just rewired the car with AAW classic update and know that the grounds are clean and new, I am still stumped. I have read that others have done this update without needing any other items such as resistors etc. and these lights have the same 3 prong plug as the T-3's. Looking at other post including Team Camaro site others have just simply changed out the lights and were good to go.
JR

I forgot to mention that I have 11.77 volts at both plugs and have also tried the old T-3's. Same issues with either bulbs. All other electricals including RS doors, limit switches, relays and motors work as they should.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2012, 08:36:30 PM by adjudimo »

Mike S

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2012, 08:56:01 PM »
 I had this exact problem when reinstalling my RS harness back in the 80's after replacing the front sheet metal from damage. It turned out to be a ground wire problem in the front but I don't remember exactly where.

Mike
67 04B LOS SS/RS L35 Hardtop - Original w/UOIT
67 05B NOR SS/RS L35 Convertible - Restored

adjudimo

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2012, 11:53:34 PM »
Guess I need to take a look at all the connections again and rule stuff out. I took my sweet ole time during the wiring and didn't take any shortcuts, but there is something and probably a simple fix once I find it. Had a pretty good joke played on me though. Took my car out after installing Sun SuperTach and it was showing 6000 rpm at 55 mph. Knew I installed it right. Didn't know my son or one of his friends had played with the cylinder selection switch on the back of tach. It is now reading 3000 rpm at 55 mph. Running 4.10 gears. Oh well, back to the lights I go.
thanks guys,
JR

adjudimo

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2012, 09:53:30 PM »
Update

While I was wiring the headlights origionally I had the wiring diagrams out and there was two different views of the front harness. One showing the T3 plug from the front view and the other showing it from the rear view. I imagine it was probably the wee hours of the late night/early morning and I was more tired than I thought. I simply looked down at the wrong diagram and installed the green (low beam) and black (ground) in each others place. Had them reversed. Pulled the connectors out, installed correctly and now have bright low and high beams. It just proved to me that sometimes we are more tired than we think we are and need to back away for a bit instead of moving on. I created this monster and I just have to own it!

thanks for the replys and suggestions,
J.R.

tmodel66

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2012, 10:07:04 PM »
Glad you found it. We finally found my key buzzer/horn relay gremlin this morning and it's these simple things most times. Wire had come off the door jamb switch.
Daniel  
'69 SS 350/4 speed  Fathom Green--POP