Author Topic: 67 Automatic RS Camaro on Ebay with 4 speed 4P Trim Tag code  (Read 3686 times)

Mark

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
67 Automatic RS Camaro on Ebay with 4 speed 4P Trim Tag code
« on: October 25, 2011, 12:13:15 AM »
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/?cmd=ViewItem&_rdc=1&item=220865823278

This car has a VIN of 124667N196759
Trim tag is
03C                 E
67 12467  NOR  91214
756-Z               N-2
E   2LGR   3L
4P 5Y

Car has a reproduction WS (owner knows and noted it) an apparently real POP, and an original Cowl Tag although the rivits appear to be replacements and is equipped with a 327/210 V0202ME coded engine with a 2 spd powerglide transmission.  Car appears very original, and has had a same color older repaint sometime in its past.  There is some original assembly line markings are still visible on the inside of the valence.  Car has a ten bolt axle, no sign of a traction rod, or brackets on the axle or body of the car, no obvious 4 speed hole in the floor visible from below the car.

From the auction Question and answer section

Q:  I forgot to say also that the 327/210 engine in the car matches the engine code (ME) in your POP booklet, but it is the "4P" that is throwing me off, because that code "4P" is designated for a SS 350 or 327/275hp (L30/M20) which is kind of rare, but not designated for a 327/210hp. Sorry if I repeated myself!:-) Thanks! Tom Sep-30-11
A:   I believe the cowl tag is a miss-marked origional. The first owner told me that he originally ordered the car with a 4speed and higher hp engine but later changed it to the base engine and automatic because his daughter would be driving the car. The partial vin under the front vent matches and the engine number is correct The car was built as a base automatic

Knowing that the car is decodes as follows:

1 = Chevrolet
2 = Camaro
4 = 8-cylinder engine
67 = convertible body
7 = 1967 model year
N = Norwood, OH assembly plant
196759 = vehicle serial number sequence

Decode for body number: 091214

03C = Built the Third week of March.
67-12467 = Standard Interior Convertible.
NOR = Built in Norwood Ohio.
756 = Standard Black Bench Seats.
Z = (A50) Strato Bucket Seats.
N-2 = Lower Color is Madeira Maroon and the Convertible Top Color is Black.
E = Interior paint is Black
Options:
1E = (A01) Tinted All Glass
2L = (M20) 4-speed floor shifter
2G = (D55) Console front compartment
2R = (U80) Speaker rear
3L = (Z22) Rally Sport Package
4P = (L48) SS 350 or (L30) 327-275H
5Y = (A39) Belts All Deluxe

Lets assume the owners relating of the original owners story is correct.  Knowing that the body number of 67/68 Camaros was assigned by the factory when the order was accepted and the car was scheduled to be built, how can we reconcile the owners story that the buyer changed his mind and wanted an automatic RS only instead of an 4 speed RS/SS as indicated on the order, and somehow the dealer must have got hold of the Factory directly and had the build order changed after the cowl tag was made, but before the car was actually assembled.  There would be no way to change the process once the car actually started down the assembly line.  And since the order was changed before the car was actually started, why wouldn't GM just have Fisher just make up a new correctly configured tag instead of sticking an incorrect tag on the car with some kind of instruction that says ingnore the normal construction process, and read this sticky note that says build it as an RS with an automatic instead of an RS/SS with a 4 speed.

Heres another car of the same build period for comparision, lower VIN but higher body number, which at best indicates this cars (discussed above) cowl tag sat around for almost a week after this reference car was built, yet the order was accepted a 4 days or so earlier than this ones.  If this one was held up and then stuck back into the assembly line a week later, why not make a new tag with the correct info on it.

1 = Chevrolet
2 = Camaro
3 = 6-cylinder engine
67 = convertible body
7 = 1967 model year
N = Norwood, OH assembly plant
193XXX = vehicle serial number sequence

Decode for body number: 0930XX

03C = Third Week of March.
67-12467 = Standard Interior Convertible.
NOR = Built in Norwood Ohio.
760 = Standard Black Bucket Seats.
Z = (A50) Strato Bucket Seats.
K-2 = Lower Color is Emerald Turquoise and the Convertible Top Color is Black.

Options:
3S = (Z23) Interior Decor group

How does this occur?

Mark C.
1969 Indy Pace Car
350/300HP RPO Z11