Author Topic: 1970 Road America Trans-Am photos  (Read 34873 times)

wrongwayron

• View Profile
Re: 1970 Road America Trans-Am photos
« Reply #15 on: October 24, 2011, 09:33:09 PM »
Nice to see the 1970-to-today owner lines!

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 24, 2011, 11:21:45 PM »
More info on the Historic Trans-Am website.

Jimmy Castle owns the Jim Hall Chaparral Camaro.
Bruce Canepa owns the Penske Javelin.
Andy Boone owns the Swede Savage AAR Cuda.
Ken Epsman owns the Sam Posey Challenger.
Harry Lipetz owns Parnelli's Boss 302.
Jon Mello
CRG

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 25, 2011, 03:42:38 AM »

Jon Mello
CRG

oldtransamdriver

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 25, 2011, 03:49:42 AM »
Nice to see those photos Jon, especially of my buddy Peter Schwartzott in his 69 camaro.  I knew Peter quite well. He was from Niagara Falls NY and one time he brought his camaro over to the Harewood Acres track where I raced against him in a Canadian Touring Car race. Peter only did 4 T/A races that year I think, and I believe then sold the camaro.  His car has not appeared in the Vintage race world to my knowledge.  He and his gang called "Dimension Racing" later built a very fast 2.5 Datsun 510.  He later was a strong competitor in the Rabbit Bilstein series and then World Challenge or similar in several Hondas.  Have lost track of him but I believe he has moved elsewhere in NY state.

Robert Barg

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 25, 2011, 06:54:44 PM »
Glad you enjoyed those, Robert. A couple of years ago, somebody from Peter's race team had a factory '67 Camaro rear sway bar setup that he was selling. I didn't buy it but maybe somebody else did.

Here are some more Road America photos taken by Ron. These were taken by him in July '69 while attending the Continental (open wheel) race. Those that are familiar with the track can tell which corners are which. I may try and identify some a little later for those that have never been there. This track was full of natural beauty back then. Still a great track but now with concrete and catch fences.

I suddenly have the urge for a bratwurst and some corn-on-the-cob. ;D

Photo by Ron Lathrop

Photo by Ron Lathrop

Photo by Ron Lathrop

Photo by Ron Lathrop

Photo by Ron Lathrop

Photo by Ron Lathrop

Photo by Ron Lathrop

Photo by Ron Lathrop

Photo by Ron Lathrop

Photo by Ron Lathrop

Photo by Ron Lathrop

Photo by Ron Lathrop

Photo by Ron Lathrop
Jon Mello
CRG

wrongwayron

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 25, 2011, 08:32:18 PM »
For those of you wondering about Jon's "bratwurst and some corn-on-the-cob" remark: a history lesson and explaination.
Road America was built by the village of Elkhart Lake replacing the street races. First race in 1954; they burned their 30-year mortagage in 1959 (I think ... but you got the idea). Pretty good for a town of maybe 500 people.
I think timing and location had a lot to do with the success. Located little more than a hour north of Chicago in a state with an 18-year-old drinking age and surrounded by states with 21-year-old limits. The major events of the day, the June Sprints and Road America 500 (Labor Day weekend) fit well with college-age party time.
The track is in the Kettle Moraine (a nice low spot craved out by glacers) and fills with smells of wonderful local bratwurst and corn-on-the-cob (roasted in foil over charcoal. Furtunately the smells of the brat, corn and charcoal stay low in the moraine to cover the smell of spectators consuming mass qualnities of brat, corn and beer.
Got the picture.

OCTARD

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 26, 2011, 08:13:47 PM »
Really great images, Ron.  It's impressive that even your proof sheets were able to provide such detail.  Thank you so much for sharing these with all of us enthusiasts of the series.

Jon, thanks for your efforts to additional information along with the post.

-Chad

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 28, 2011, 03:26:25 PM »
Road America race reports, courtesy of Ron Lathrop. Thank you, Ron!

October 1970 Car & Driver

October 1970 Road & Track

October 1970 Sports Car Graphic

Jon Mello
CRG

maroman

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 28, 2011, 10:03:32 PM »
Jon, or others, how much did Hall have to do with building his car? After reading Chevrolet Racing? I've often wondered about the Trans Am car. It was not mentioned that I remember in the book.
Doug  '67 RS/SS 396 auto I know the car since new

wrongwayron

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 28, 2011, 10:24:48 PM »
The quick reply answer ... I'm sure there will be more details from others to follow. When Penske jumped ship to AMC, Chevrolet asked Hall to run the TransAm program... They are his cars, built and developed in Midland.

MO

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 29, 2011, 01:46:26 AM »
Outstanding photos and articles!

Thanks Jon and Ron!

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 29, 2011, 05:58:09 AM »
Thanks, Fred. As for the Chaparral Camaros by Jim Hall, they were definitely built by him and his team in Midland, Texas.
I have searched high and low for my "Chevrolet = Racing?" book and have not been able to find it. As such, I can't currently
look up what was said and unsaid about that particular subject.

Here's some more coverage of this 1970 Road America Trans-Am...

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

« Last Edit: February 15, 2012, 11:04:04 PM by Jon Mello »
Jon Mello
CRG

maroman

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 29, 2011, 11:26:05 AM »
Jon, as I recall it only spoke of the Can Am cars and the special relationship with Chevy. I need to read it again, winter is coming here FAST. I was in a T shirt yesterday but we are supposed to get 8-12 of the white stuff tonight! Maybe there will be some extra time. Chevrolet Racing and The World's Fastest Indian by George Begg are my favorite two books. George was a McClaren test  driver, to keep this car related.
Doug  '67 RS/SS 396 auto I know the car since new

anything