Author Topic: 5-Liter engine article  (Read 6582 times)

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
5-Liter engine article
« on: October 23, 2011, 12:02:04 AM »
This article gives some insight into the engines used by the various manufacturers in Trans-Am for the 1969 season.

Jon Mello
CRG

maroman

• View Profile
Re: 5-Liter engine article
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2011, 12:49:39 PM »
Thanks Jon, your stuff is always an interesting read.
Doug  '67 RS/SS 396 auto I know the car since new

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2011, 05:18:20 AM »
You're welcome. I'm glad that people are finding this stuff interesting and enjoyable.
Jon Mello
CRG

Shadow Ahead

« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2012, 05:53:08 PM »
Interesting that Bedard felt that AMC may not have been competitive even with special homologated engine parts. As it turned out his prediction almost came true when, according to Kaplan, or his people, a truly competitive block was not homologated because AMC failed to turn in the paperwork in time. The rules as listed in the above article must have changed because AMC did not produce near the required number of blocks ( though the service replacement block that they made available for '70 and served as the basis for replacing everything from a 343 through a 390 according to AMC experts, would, along with the 390 block, be "4 bolt capable". The '69 engines did produce more power but they were not reliable and AMC's promise as shown in the '68 season went away in '69 when they finished adistant fourth to Pontiac's third and AMC didn't win a single race nor get on the podium at all.

S A

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2012, 06:04:02 PM »
The Javelins had stout engines at the Wolverine Trans-Am, first race of '69. Would have been interesting if they had been allowed to run that engine all season long. Can anyone detail what the specific pieces on the Wolverine T/A Javelin engines were different from what they were forced to run for the rest of '69? I know they had a tall 2x4 tunnel ram style of intake on them but what else was different? It's interesting that they even got to run the special engine at all.
Jon Mello
CRG

klvn8r

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2012, 04:41:39 PM »
In a few weeks, with any luck, I will be able to give you some very specific info.  My brother and I are doing some in-depth research on this topic right now!  ;)  (We have SOME info....but we want to make sure its corect before we start running our mouths...)

klvn8r