Author Topic: part #'s for wheel cylinders  (Read 7758 times)

Tinkerr

• View Profile
part #'s for wheel cylinders
« on: June 14, 2006, 06:51:09 PM »
Does anybody know where I can go to find the original part #'s for wheel cylinders on a 68 Camaro with drum brakes all around? The assembly manual doesn't list them that I could find. thanks

bertfam

• View Profile
Re: part #'s for wheel cylinders
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2006, 03:48:14 AM »
Group 4.665 Cylinder, Wheel Brake:

Front Left (1 1/8" Diameter) - 5464980
Front Right (1 1/8" diameter) - 5464981
Rear (7/8" diameter) - 5464077

I'm sure these numbers have been superceeded over the years, but these are the "original" part numbers.

Ed

Tinkerr

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2006, 06:16:37 AM »
Thanks Ed,
 In reading some of your previous posts you are a wealth of information. Where does one find the original part#'s for these old cars? thanks again. Paul

Tinkerr

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2006, 07:48:21 PM »
I found the old wheel cylinders that were on the car(I believe to be orig.)the part #'s on them are   rear 5464079/front 5464977 only have one front the mounting bolt broke off in the other and I trashed it. Any idea's why the part numbers would be different but close? thanks Paul

bertfam

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2006, 08:49:28 PM »
Paul,

In response to your first question, there are several good resources for original part numbers, with the Price and Accessory Schedule (P&A 34) being the best. However, the AIM, as well as Hollander or Mitchell interchanges also contain valuable information.

The second question is related to "part numbers" -vs- "casting numbers". The number you see on the side of the cylinder is the casting number of that particular part. This is assigned to any part that's cast in a foundry. This, along with the other sub components that make up an assembly are then assigned a part number. This is the number I gave you from the P&A. Casting numbers are sometimes, but not always the same as the part number, and I'm not sure why. JohnZ can probably answer this one.

Did this help?

Ed
« Last Edit: June 15, 2006, 09:11:04 PM by bertfam »

JohnZ

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2006, 01:47:15 PM »
Casting numbers identify a particular raw casting; that raw casting is frequently machined into several slightly different finished parts, which carry unique PART numbers. One example is cylinder heads - the same casting was frequently machined both for 1.94"/1.5" valves and for 2.02"/1.6" valves, and those two variations carried different PART numbers after machining, although both types carry the same cast-in casting number. The P&A parts books show the finished PART number, and sometimes reference an "I.D." number, which is the casting number that appears on the part. PART numbers don't appear on castings, unless a casting was only machined into one finished part.

To carry the analogy further, a machined cylinder head that's bare (no valves, springs, etc.) will carry one PART number, and the same head assembled (with valves, springs, etc.) will carry yet another different PART number, although the machined casting is the same between the two.
'69 Z/28
Fathom Green
CRG

bertfam

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2006, 01:54:09 PM »
See. I knew John could answer this one!! Thanks.

;D

Ed

Tinkerr

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2006, 04:40:46 AM »
Sorry I took so long to reply. I've been in the bone yard looking for wheel cylinders(got poison ivy) and putting coil spring's in the subframe.That's got to be the most difficult thing I've done. I think I wasted my $'s having the spring's powder coated. I digress, found what I was looking for,now its off to get them sleeved, they have some pitting issues.    Thanks for the responses Ed and John !!!!