CRG Discussion Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2014, 02:46:33 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Welcome to the CRG Discussion Forum!
Forum registration problems: Make sure you enter your email correctly and you check your spam box first. *Then* email KurtS2@gmail for help.
97481 Posts in 11715 Topics by 4581 Members
Latest Member: Cooper48
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  CRG Discussion Forum
|-+  Model Specific Discussions
| |-+  Trans-Am Camaros
| | |-+  Full-Floaters
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Full-Floaters  (Read 826 times)
Jon Mello
CRG Member

View Profile
« on: October 11, 2011, 09:50:06 PM »

While the example shown happens to be on a dragster, there is some good general information
on full floating rear ends in this old Hot Rod magazine article.

« Last Edit: October 23, 2011, 03:23:43 PM by Jon Mello » Logged

Jon Mello
CRG
beighes

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2012, 12:28:55 AM »

John.....Sometime in the very early '70s, John Treder had the 12 bolt fitted to his A/S.  A local shop used their "drag race bits" for the conversion.  Aside from a pain to swap crown wheel & pinion, it performed flawlessly.  Until we went from 5, to 6 litre engines (A Sedan to GT1).  At the first National at Sears Point that year, the left rear was overtaxed by the hp/torque (586/525).  The inner bearing race "became" part of the axle snout.  A quick call to the original fabricator, & he said, "Bring it down."  After one look at it, he stated, "You're still running that setup, I thought I contacted everyone & got them to upgrade to my stock car hubs & snouts!?!!?"   I still remember the smell of burned 140 wt. Valvoline!

I can draw a mouse with a pencil, but I can't draw a pencil with a mouse!
Jon Mello
CRG Member

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2012, 11:32:44 PM »

Interesting bit of information, Steve. Thanks for posting. I know what you're saying about certain smells. I had a friend who was a mechanic and the shop where he worked had a fire and it burned to the ground. I still remember the smell on his burnt tools.

Jon Mello
CRG
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: