Author Topic: 69 Quarter Louver Fit  (Read 5946 times)

69-er

• View Profile
69 Quarter Louver Fit
« on: October 12, 2011, 02:39:19 AM »
I just did a test fit by placing the louvers over the sheetmetal louver indentations and noticed that they didn't seem to align very well.  If I line up the vertical bars to the sheetmetal indentations, the tops and bottom aren't horizontal.  The top looks worse than the bottom.

I can't be sure if it's the louvers or the sheetmetal indentations are crooked.  Has anybody run into this problem?

Larry

69glacierblue

• View Profile
Re: 69 Quarter Louver Fit
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2011, 02:52:13 AM »
No...but just make sure the curve on the louver matches the curve of the wheel well and the tops & bottoms are horizontal or it won't look right!
Dennis
'69 SS350 Vert (X55) 4-sp.
'10 2SSRS RJT M6

srode

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2011, 10:56:19 AM »
Not sure how they are supposed to fit but I can say the factory holes on emblems didn't always always place them perfectly horizontal.  Front fender 69 Camaro emblem holes seem to be more often off than horizontal from what I have seen.
Steve - 02D Z11 and a Plain Jane hardtop

69-er

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2011, 11:39:36 PM »
No...but just make sure the curve on the louver matches the curve of the wheel well and the tops & bottoms are horizontal or it won't look right!
Interesting point.  The tops and bottoms are not parallel and the quarter indentation curves match the wheel well.

I got them from Ground Up/Corvex.

I have an original louver stashed away for 30 years I need to find as a comparison.

69glacierblue

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2011, 02:08:48 AM »
OK, I just went back and took another look at mine.  Not that it's perfect but eyeballing it looks most important to match the curve with the wheel well.  That being done my louvers look like the top and bottom are pretty much horizontal and parallel.  Again, that's just eyeballing them on the car, no measuring, but the ones pictured above look like the top & bottom are less parallel than mine. ??
Dennis
'69 SS350 Vert (X55) 4-sp.
'10 2SSRS RJT M6

69-er

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2011, 01:05:33 AM »
Thanks!

Anybody else had a chance to look at their original louvers?

IZRSSS

« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2011, 01:51:15 AM »
Larry - here's another discussion on this same topic.

http://www.camaros.org/forum/index.php?topic=7650.0

DONCZ28

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2011, 02:07:49 AM »
If you have an old set of louvers , grind off the studs and drill holes where the studs were. Now you have the perfect template to locate your holes.

69-er

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2011, 04:44:41 PM »
OK, so I also decided to get the mounting templates to see if this might settle this. The upper and lower bars on the drawings match the actual louver bars on the Corvex ones, but the stud holes on the drawing don't match the actual louver studs. They are off as much as 3/16". That's more than enough to affect the alignment, I wouldn't know which holes to elongate to allow the louver to install properly on the quarters.

I don't know which is wrong, the templates, the louvers, or both! I think I will return both and regroup here.

BTW, I did a Google image search and came up empty there too.

DONCZ28

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2011, 02:22:45 AM »
Are the quarter panels, and louvers both GM parts?

anything