Poll

is there any sequence vin verse body number I see vins near the same date but the body numbers will be thousands apart does anybody have a fair explanation

1 (50%)
1 (50%)

Total Members Voted: 2

Author Topic: vin number ,body number 1969 z28  (Read 5038 times)

canadair

• View Profile
vin number ,body number 1969 z28
« on: October 06, 2011, 11:25:06 AM »
1969 z

bertfam

• View Profile
Re: vin number ,body number 1969 z28
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2011, 01:34:50 PM »
you can find this information HERE.

Ed

canadair

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2011, 02:25:52 PM »
  Ed According the info provided as I understand it ,is if a car was ordered a certain way the body number was given set aside for completion and when the build was near completion got its vin at that time ,so a car built the same day  might have a body number thousands off .

JohnZ

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2011, 03:38:12 PM »
  Ed According the info provided as I understand it ,is if a car was ordered a certain way the body number was given set aside for completion and when the build was near completion got its vin at that time ,so a car built the same day  might have a body number thousands off .

That's correct - the body number was assigned when the dealer order was accepted for production, and the body might be built the next week, or the next month, or the month after that, and Chevrolet assigned the VIN when the finished body was actually received from Fisher Body. That's why there can be WIDE variation in correlation between body numbers and VIN numbers.
'69 Z/28
Fathom Green
CRG

canadair

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2011, 03:46:07 PM »
thanks to all

KurtS

• CRG Coordinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2011, 06:17:29 PM »
Not quite set aside. Assigned and then not scheduled until all parts were available.

That's correct - the body number was assigned when the dealer order was accepted for production, and the body might be built the next week, or the next month, or the month after that, and Chevrolet assigned the VIN when the finished body was actually received from Fisher Body. That's why there can be WIDE variation in correlation between body numbers and VIN numbers.
And this is true only for 69's. Not 67 & 68.
Kurt S
CRG

anything